What is the best speed loader for a SW 642?

This is a discussion on What is the best speed loader for a SW 642? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello , i am new to the forum as a member. What is the best (quickest/easiest) speed loader for the 642? Any thoughts will be ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Snub44
  • 1 Post By Superhouse 15
  • 1 Post By Paladin3840

Thread: What is the best speed loader for a SW 642?

Hello , i am new to the forum as a member. What is the best (quickest/easiest) speed loader for the 642? Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by jimwms1; January 24th, 2013 at 08:24 PM.

...having carried a J for about 40 years as backup and gone through 4 styles of round speed loaders, I ended up with Speed Strips...lay flat in pocket or pouch and can carry 4 in much less space than round ones...slower than the round ones but not difficult to do...
    Cory1022 likes this.

Perfect....thanks! I was thinking the exact same thing. Many thanks. Just got this revolver. Replaced the LCP. I use the j-frame for pocket carry when dont want tocarry my main carry pistol. Thanks again.

There is a youtube video showing a speed strip reload by Ayoob that I used to guide me, it's pretty fast when you build the muscle memory. I have loaders for my bigger revolvers, but use them for the range mostly.

I like the Tuff Strips better than the Speed Strips from Bianchi. They have a lot of different styles, including a 5 round model. Mostly, though, I lime them because I got excellent customer service and they won my business for life.
    Snub44 likes this.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

That was what I was trying to figure out next...which brand. Tuff it is.

I have both Bianchi and Tuff. I prefer the Bianchi as i have had the tab break off on one of the Tuff strips. I find they fit perfectly in the watch pocket of my jeans.

...I've used Bianchi since the 70s...but the Tuff Strips I bought for my .44s are stronger as far as holding the shells in...I'd prolly buy them if I had to buy any more .38, too...if you have several .38/357...one set of strips works on 5, 6, 7, or 8-shot...loading 2 rounds at once is fast...and the stiffer ToughStrips...I'd often carry loose in my pocket...never dropped a shell...
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I like the Tuff Strips better than the Speed Strips from Bianchi. They have a lot of different styles, including a 5 round model. Mostly, though, I lime them because I got excellent customer service and they won my business for life.

Per your criteria...

Quote Originally Posted by jimwms1 View Post
    . What is the best (quickest/easiest) speed loader for the 642? Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    Quicker and easier? Ol' reliable HKS #36 - concealable enough in most cases. Speed/Tuff Strips more concealable than HKS, faster than loose rounds.
    tacman605 likes this.

I carry a five round Tuff strip in my right pocket with four rounds (two on each end and gap in the middle). It makes getting two rounds each into the gun fast an easy prospect, and fiddling with that last round adds what I consider to be more time than it's worth.

For speed loaders, I like the Safariland Comp I. A bit difficult to load rounds into the loader at first, but after you get the hang of it, it's no big deal and all you have to do is line up the loader and push. The rounds are released automatically from the pressure. Very quick.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

I carry the Bianchi Speed Strips. As another poster mentioned, I carry one in the watch pocket of my jeans, but a second in my left rear pocket. Every single reload I do at the range is from speed strips at speed. I don't reload the cylinder simply from the box of ammo. Practice...
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Beware the speed loader clearance on your grips, I have two HKS loaders that fit my 60 with wood grips but not my 642 with rubber grips. You supposedly can grind out material to make them work, and I don't know if other brands have the same clearance issues.

Links