Defensive Carry banner

Flashlights on guns

3K views 44 replies 29 participants last post by  64zebra 
#1 ·
I semi see the point if you have one that does that whole blinking bit and could make someone disoriented. I would just rather not let the BG know what direction I'm coming from. Even with the blinking they could just shoot at the light. I guess I would rather keep the element of surprise.

If you have one of these lights on your gun, what is your reasoning behind it?

#43 ·
I was taught not to use a flashlight in the military (surfire). For anything at night it was a pec2 and nightvision. Why we had surfires that we didn't use for anything is beyond me.

Glad you all have a good use for a mounted light source. I guess it just doesn't apply to my situation. Not only do I not have children, I don't give me key out to people to come in my place in the middle of the night. I also got enough street lights that our basically outside my window so things aren't exactly pitch black.

Situation dictates I suppose. You all have valid points.

#44 ·
My wife has a light on her Sig P226. I have a hand-held flashlight (300 lumens). She thinks she needs the light to positively ID who/what she's shooting at. I just let our 140lb rottweiler out of the bedroom & let him clear the house. If there's a BG...I'll just follow the screams.

#45 ·
why do I have WML?

1. everyone, and I mean me and everybody else with a pulse, shoots better/more accurate with a 2-hand grip on a handgun....period

2. if I've identified a suspect (on duty) or intruder (at home) they are getting held at gunpoint at a minimum; therefore I will most likely be on the radio (on duty) or on the phone (with 911 at home) and holding a handgun, flashlight, and phone, and mentally taking care of all 3 is a chore. Believe me, I've done it numerous times. I know it sucks since we got our WML taken away at work and it really sucks holding a suspect at gunpoint, trying to tuck a light to maintain on him since its dark, and get on the radio with the other hand. Using a WML to click on is WAY easier and more safe. (getting my WML back for duty use next month :danceban:)

That being said, a WML is definitely NOT a replacement for a handheld light. If you choose to use a WML you need both.

I have a TLR-1s for the 17 at work, a TLR-2 on the G21 by the nightstand, a TLR-1 on the home and duty ARs and on the 870 duty shotgun. I'm getting another TLR-1 for the home Mossy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.