Flashlights on guns

This is a discussion on Flashlights on guns within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It works....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Flashlights on guns

Administrator
    It works.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 031131 View Post
    I semi see the point if you have one that does that whole blinking bit and could make someone disoriented. I would just rather not let the BG know what direction I'm coming from. Even with the blinking they could just shoot at the light. I guess I would rather keep the element of surprise.

If you have one of these lights on your gun, what is your reasoning behind it?
    The light doesn't have to be on ALL the time. When it is turned on with a pad or switch on the side of teh gun, usually under your indiex finger, when your finger is in the indexed position where it belongs, you can set it to turn on strobe, or full. The point of the light is to see your target, illuminate your sights, and see in the dark. You shouldn't be stalking your BG anyway, you should be getting to your loved ones, or your safe room as quickly as possible, while calling 9-1-1.

the rail mounted light keeps both of your hands on the gun, or frees one up to open doors, etc while getting to safety.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

I have (well "had" until the rail section broke last night for no reason) a TLR-3 on my HD gun (P226). I would not use a gun for HD unless it had a light on it.

Flashlights on guns

Quote Originally Posted by clamum View Post
    I have (well "had" until the rail section broke last night for no reason) a TLR-3 on my HD gun (P226). I would not use a gun for HD unless it had a light on it.
    I'd be interested to hear about that. I use the same light on a P229 for HD and would like to know how and where they fail.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I haven't had any training on the use of lights with a weapon, but with the bright lights we have these days, I'm not so sure that it would make a difference if you're holding the light outstretched or right in front of you.

The light literally blinds the BG so that they can't see what they're shooting at. I've looked into my lights to see what they would see, and frankly, I'm not so sure I'd be able to figure out the "center" of the light to shoot at if I were the BG. I'd assume they are just as easily going to spray their weapon in that general direction rather than be able to shoot the glass out of the light with a well-placed shot.

I understand the sentiment of those advocating holding the light in your off-hand, but I'm wondering if that matters much with lights becoming brighter and brighter. I'm probably wrong, but that's just my thought.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

I have a weapon mounted light on my home and CCW guns. I will not go around searching the house with "Lights ON". I will wait for them to come to me into the Fatal Cone into my master bedroom. Out in public I expect full target identification and also carry a regular flash light in my left pocket as I am a right handed shooter. Either can be used in any situation as it develops, all of which will be fluid in nature. YMMV.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck R. View Post
    I like weapon mounted lights, especially on a long-gun. I don’t own a dedicated HD gun that doesn’t have a mounted light, or light/laser combo.

I believe that in a HD scenario, target ID is paramount. There are countless stories of homeowner X shooting family member Y by mistake. Mounted lights allow for a free hand for opening doors, using a phone etc. Also there’s no chance of leaving the light behind when you need it. It’s also much easier to engage a target with a mounted light than with a handheld.

Some people don’t like mounted lights, one thing to remember, just because it’s there doesn’t mean you have to use it. Most decent tactical lights have a large enough spill to illuminate a target, with the weapon pointed at low ready. I've taken several low light classes and we usually shoot a low-light stage at our IDPA matches. This really is training issue and a low-light class will go a long way to make someone a believer in tactical lights either handheld or mounted.

Both the military and law enforcement have moved towards mounted weapon lights for target ID. I suspect IF identifying a target is worth the risk in a combat zone, it‘s probably worth the risk in my house. IMHO anybody that believes they can get off an accurate shot after being zapped by 125+ lumen tactical light really ought to try it. If your eyes are adjusted to the dark, the light is painful and results in a reflexive wince.

I wonder how many of the "no-light" guys have taken a low/no-light class recently (past couple years) and still advocate not having a light?

Chuck
    I have a light just not on my firearm. And I have had low light training as you describe. The trouble with low light training by private outfits is this. Yes SWAT Military etc have swung to that mode of clearing a building etc.
    And private training schools follow that lead either because they have an ex LE teaching or just a instructor that thinks because LE and Military do it its a great idea.
    Trouble with that is that Swat etc move in teams not singles covering each as they move with for the most part overwhelming firepower. Not one guy with a handgun or shotgun or rifle flashing his way thru a dark house.
    I have a light. I know when to use it and in a lot of different ways that dont pinpoint my vitals.
    That being said there is only my wife and I here. Im in the middle of noplace. I know where she is and nobody else friendly is going to be here in my house without knocking. If someone is in here by breaking in they arent here to bring us a bowl of soup! If I blow holes through my entire house it wont matter my nearest neighbor is a mile away.
    Just because you have been thru some low light training dont think some of the rest of us havent either, in practical one man search and clear with no back up. Like I said if you want a light on your gun and in a situation with kids friends who come thru locked doors in the middle of the night or something where you need to ID in your home at night please for petes sakes doso. In my little shack I dont need to because I have none of that to worry about.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    I have a light just not on my firearm. And I have had low light training as you describe. The trouble with low light training by private outfits is this. Yes SWAT Military etc have swung to that mode of clearing a building etc.
    And private training schools follow that lead either because they have an ex LE teaching or just a instructor that thinks because LE and Military do it its a great idea.
    Trouble with that is that Swat etc move in teams not singles covering each as they move with for the most part overwhelming firepower. Not one guy with a handgun or shotgun or rifle flashing his way thru a dark house.
    I have a light. I know when to use it and in a lot of different ways that dont pinpoint my vitals.
    That being said there is only my wife and I here. Im in the middle of noplace. I know where she is and nobody else friendly is going to be here in my house without knocking. If someone is in here by breaking in they arent here to bring us a bowl of soup! If I blow holes through my entire house it wont matter my nearest neighbor is a mile away.
    Just because you have been thru some low light training dont think some of the rest of us havent either, in practical one man search and clear with no back up. Like I said if you want a light on your gun and in a situation with kids friends who come thru locked doors in the middle of the night or something where you need to ID in your home at night please for petes sakes doso. In my little shack I dont need to because I have none of that to worry about.
    So what you're saying is, you've taken a low light class recently, and still don't like or use a mounted light...right?

Because that's all I was asking.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

I have a surefire mini scout with surefire monetary on/ constant on pressure switch on my sig556, my wife has a cheap nebo led/laser on her shotgun. Works just as well as my surefire and lights up everything via pressure switch.

Not sure what is best I have a light on my glock but after thinking about it it does seem like i am targeting myself, I ve asked around an most here feel it better to be in the dark where you know the layout especially if you wake up your eyes have already adjusted
    I guess Ill have to read up on the subject see whats the best senario for me

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I have this on my HD Glock-21...170 lumens?
    SureFire X300 LED WeaponLight--White Light
    You and me. I want the option of "seeing" or to temporarily blind and my Trijicon sights make it easy to acquire COM in the dark. As a "homesteader" and not an "operator" a plain old shotty aimed at the center of wall would probably suffice!

If you have access to a range that allows for dark / low light shooting you may/will be surprised with how your night vision will be effected when you use a light, not to mention the muzzle flash.
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

I don't own a weapon mounted light but I do own a few LED flashlights. I use/carry a light because in my home I'm not going to turn on any lights if I hear a noise.

I was taught not to use a flashlight in the military (surfire). For anything at night it was a pec2 and nightvision. Why we had surfires that we didn't use for anything is beyond me.

Glad you all have a good use for a mounted light source. I guess it just doesn't apply to my situation. Not only do I not have children, I don't give me key out to people to come in my place in the middle of the night. I also got enough street lights that our basically outside my window so things aren't exactly pitch black.

Situation dictates I suppose. You all have valid points.

My wife has a light on her Sig P226. I have a hand-held flashlight (300 lumens). She thinks she needs the light to positively ID who/what she's shooting at. I just let our 140lb rottweiler out of the bedroom & let him clear the house. If there's a BG...I'll just follow the screams.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

VIP Member
    why do I have WML?

1. everyone, and I mean me and everybody else with a pulse, shoots better/more accurate with a 2-hand grip on a handgun....period

2. if I've identified a suspect (on duty) or intruder (at home) they are getting held at gunpoint at a minimum; therefore I will most likely be on the radio (on duty) or on the phone (with 911 at home) and holding a handgun, flashlight, and phone, and mentally taking care of all 3 is a chore. Believe me, I've done it numerous times. I know it sucks since we got our WML taken away at work and it really sucks holding a suspect at gunpoint, trying to tuck a light to maintain on him since its dark, and get on the radio with the other hand. Using a WML to click on is WAY easier and more safe. (getting my WML back for duty use next month )

That being said, a WML is definitely NOT a replacement for a handheld light. If you choose to use a WML you need both.

I have a TLR-1s for the 17 at work, a TLR-2 on the G21 by the nightstand, a TLR-1 on the home and duty ARs and on the 870 duty shotgun. I'm getting another TLR-1 for the home Mossy.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links