Flashlights on guns

Flashlights on guns

This is a discussion on Flashlights on guns within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I semi see the point if you have one that does that whole blinking bit and could make someone disoriented. I would just rather not ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Flashlights on guns

Flashlights on guns

I semi see the point if you have one that does that whole blinking bit and could make someone disoriented. I would just rather not let the BG know what direction I'm coming from. Even with the blinking they could just shoot at the light. I guess I would rather keep the element of surprise.

If you have one of these lights on your gun, what is your reasoning behind it?

To see in the dark.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    To see in the dark.
    Agree -- I'm not pulling the trigger if I can't see what's in front of me.
    guitarzNgunz likes this.

Flashlights on guns

either have one in your hand or on your gun. or both. gotta see if you're gonna shoot.
    guitarzNgunz likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I have one either on or next to mine. Unless you want to risk shooting a friend/family member/neighbor I'd suggest everyone do the same. ALWAYS identify your target before firing.

Another thing you mentioned, strobe mode can be extremely disorienting, but it also impairs your own vision, therefore is not very good at helping you identify anybody, I'd prefer the solid light in most scenarios.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Interesting point. Which I didn't consider given that it is only my gf and I and if someone were to break in it would just be the gf, me, and the bg. The gf would stay put in the bedroom and it would be me and the bg. No one has a key so it sure wouldn't be a friend or family member.

I see where you all are coming from though.

i would suggest a good led light. they are very bright and may blind the perp.
    " A free people ought not only to be armed & disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms & ammo to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them including their own government"
    George Washington

JMO but a light on your firearm which is going to be dead in front of you is a verryyyy bad idea. One in your hand that can be postioned and flashed from arms length to the side high low is another matter.
    For me, my personal situation, its not dark enough I cant see a human shape in my home. Be it a neighbor friend, doesnt matter. They broke in to get in. I live in the country with no near neighbors. If they are in here after night time they are no different than anyone else. Here to do nothing good.

Flashlights on guns

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    JMO but a light on your firearm which is going to be dead in front of you is a verryyyy bad idea. One in your hand that can be postioned and flashed from arms length to the side high low is another matter.
    even the small TLR-3 I have on one of my HD guns has more than enough spillage to illuminate any room in my home.

Distinguished Member
    My 870 has a light on it. Great HD weapon. If it's light enough without you having a flashlight, then the BG ca see you too. I kinda like the idea of seeing what I may be shooting at any time I need the light. If you don't need it, don't turn it on. If you do need it's priceless.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

I have this on my HD Glock-21...170 lumens?
    SureFire X300 LED WeaponLight--White Light
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Light is so I don't shoot anyone I don't love accidentally.

Quote Originally Posted by 031131 View Post
    I semi see the point if you have one that does that whole blinking bit and could make someone disoriented. I would just rather not let the BG know what direction I'm coming from. Even with the blinking they could just shoot at the light. I guess I would rather keep the element of surprise.

If you have one of these lights on your gun, what is your reasoning behind it?

Quote Originally Posted by yz9890 View Post
    even the small TLR-3 I have on one of my HD guns has more than enough spillage to illuminate any room in my home.
    I think maybe you misunderstood my point. Im not speaking of the light lighting up only what is in front of you. Im speaking of an assailant in the dark that is armed in your home using the light in front of your body as a bullseye before you ever locate him and even if you do see him hes long since seen the light coming blinking flashing or flicking putting you way behind the reaction curve.

Quote Originally Posted by yz9890 View Post
    I think maybe you misunderstood my point. Im not speaking of the light lighting up only what is in front of you. Im speaking of an assailant in the dark that is armed in your home using the light in front of your body as a bullseye before you ever locate him and even if you do see him hes long since seen the light coming blinking flashing or flicking putting you way behind the reaction curve.

Edit sorry for the double post

Flashlights on guns

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I have this on my HD Glock-21...170 lumens?
    SureFire X300 LED WeaponLight--White Light
    those are awesome lights. the new x300 ultra supposedly pumps out 500 lumens some how. that'll burn a hole in your wall and bounce all over the place.
    http://www.surefire.com/x300-ultra-led-weaponlight.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links