Defensive Carry banner

Flashlights on guns

3K views 44 replies 29 participants last post by  64zebra 
#1 ·
I semi see the point if you have one that does that whole blinking bit and could make someone disoriented. I would just rather not let the BG know what direction I'm coming from. Even with the blinking they could just shoot at the light. I guess I would rather keep the element of surprise.

If you have one of these lights on your gun, what is your reasoning behind it?

#5 ·
I have one either on or next to mine. Unless you want to risk shooting a friend/family member/neighbor I'd suggest everyone do the same. ALWAYS identify your target before firing.

Another thing you mentioned, strobe mode can be extremely disorienting, but it also impairs your own vision, therefore is not very good at helping you identify anybody, I'd prefer the solid light in most scenarios.

#6 ·
Interesting point. Which I didn't consider given that it is only my gf and I and if someone were to break in it would just be the gf, me, and the bg. The gf would stay put in the bedroom and it would be me and the bg. No one has a key so it sure wouldn't be a friend or family member.

I see where you all are coming from though.

#7 ·
i would suggest a good led light. they are very bright and may blind the perp.

#8 ·
JMO but a light on your firearm which is going to be dead in front of you is a verryyyy bad idea. One in your hand that can be postioned and flashed from arms length to the side high low is another matter.
For me, my personal situation, its not dark enough I cant see a human shape in my home. Be it a neighbor friend, doesnt matter. They broke in to get in. I live in the country with no near neighbors. If they are in here after night time they are no different than anyone else. Here to do nothing good.

#10 ·
My 870 has a light on it. Great HD weapon. If it's light enough without you having a flashlight, then the BG ca see you too. I kinda like the idea of seeing what I may be shooting at any time I need the light. If you don't need it, don't turn it on. If you do need it's priceless.

#17 ·
Where we train we've been taught:
1) A light is a bullet magnet, so if you are directly behind it, you have a better chance of getting shot. (We hand hold the light out to the side and practice at night and shooting one handed.)
2) If the light is mounted on the weapon, you are forced to point the weapon at what you may or may not want to shoot. Not really a good idea.

Reactions: Ghost1958
#18 ·
Everybodys home is different and what they are comfortable doing is different. Mine is laid out very well with only one direction Bgs can come from at one end of the house which is pretty open coming into a hallway leading to all bedrooms.
I live way out in the boonies 911 is a Hail Mary out here for a response in less than 15 min likely more.
Giving the BGs ( "that always makes me think of the band and disco by the way :blink:) that much time is likely not a good idea. Not everyone is after your TV. Some are after YOU.
I will engage and clear the house. Only wife and me here so nobody else to worry about and if you in my home by breaking in your the enemy if Ive known you since we were two. The light if used at all, held out to the side in quick flashes will give them a false target but the only one they have because they will get zero warning.

#19 ·
If it's a hand held light, push the button, If it's on you weapon use the pressure switch. (on then off )when needed. I personally would rather id someone before I kill them.
I have frends that are welcome day and night, but most of then call first. Seems to me firing blindly is foolish.

#21 ·
I have friends also. Of course my friends arent in the habit of breaking into my house day or night or they wouldnt be my friends. All my friends know what happened here 7 yrs ago. They know coming thru a window or locked door into my house at night would be a great way to commit suicide. I dont legally have to identify, nor warn, nor determine if they are armed.
If your my best friend and your in my house at night after getting through a locked door or window we aint friends no more. Your here to do me or my wife harm or your wouldnt be here like that. I wont give you the chance. I for sure wont paint a bullseye on my own center mass for you to shoot at.
As far as firing blindly?? I wont be. Ill be very intent and focused on the idiot when I fire.

#22 ·
Better ID any potential threat than end someone's life who didn't deserve it. Say you have a break in and PD respond or are chasing someone. I would rather not shoot at PD on accident. Not all situations may require shooting. Confronting many may make them turn back or give up.

#26 ·
Im not advocating anyone take my stance on when I fire. Or even if they use a light or not. I just pointed out that a light on your weapon is a target in front of your center mass.
PD chasing someone to my home would be unlikely. I live in the middle of nowhere so it would be a car chase I would hear for several miles before it reached here. I think I can reasonably assume if im faced with a intruder in my home at night Ive had a break in. I will be the first to know since no neighbors are in sight of my home so nobody will have called 911 but me.

Im not going into the details but since a mod seems inclined to correct me probably thinking im a blood thirsty savage I will go this far. Im not. I dont want to hurt anyone and never did want too. However 2005 saw my son murdered here in my house by someone that knew my family at least well enough to get him to open the door to talk too in broad daylight for no other reason than to kill him. He was 13. I have no enemies no rough background no motive no nothing and nothing was taken.
There was more I wont go into for about a year and that person or persons was never identified or caught.
Trust me if you are in my house after dark through locked doors and windows I dont care who you are. I dont need a light so you can take another of my family because I gave you a target and I dont care at that point if you realize you just met the old dog instead of a kid and get cold feet. If that makes me some animal then I guess i am. But you only run a dog home then it will bite you. Break in my house at night consider yourself bitten.

#24 ·
If someone were to ask me "do you put a light on your weapon for HD or use a separate flashlight?", my answer would be "Yes."

I've got a light on my AR, a light that I put on my carry pistol when it goes in the nightstand to do double-duty as my backup HD weapon, a surefire flashlight sitting next to that pistol in the nightstand, and a great big honkin' metal d-cell flashlight for when everything else breaks and I'm out of ammo.

Two is one and one is none....so is four three, or is it two?

#27 ·
...I come from the last century...when you'd hold the revolver in one hand and the light out as far as you could from you...we were taught that when you hit the switch, the BG's instinct would cause him to shoot at the light, expecting you to be behind it...I'd rather disappoint him, so I still do it that way...none of my SA have rails...my light's still in my hand...with an intermittant switch so I can move and re-light as I want to...if you have a gun...you'd better have a light with you...the little LED packages are blind-ya bright and last awhile on 3 AAA...everyone can have a good light now...

#29 ·
I like weapon mounted lights, especially on a long-gun. I don’t own a dedicated HD gun that doesn’t have a mounted light, or light/laser combo.

I believe that in a HD scenario, target ID is paramount. There are countless stories of homeowner X shooting family member Y by mistake. Mounted lights allow for a free hand for opening doors, using a phone etc. Also there’s no chance of leaving the light behind when you need it. It’s also much easier to engage a target with a mounted light than with a handheld.

Some people don’t like mounted lights, one thing to remember, just because it’s there doesn’t mean you have to use it. Most decent tactical lights have a large enough spill to illuminate a target, with the weapon pointed at low ready. I've taken several low light classes and we usually shoot a low-light stage at our IDPA matches. This really is training issue and a low-light class will go a long way to make someone a believer in tactical lights either handheld or mounted.

Both the military and law enforcement have moved towards mounted weapon lights for target ID. I suspect IF identifying a target is worth the risk in a combat zone, it‘s probably worth the risk in my house. IMHO anybody that believes they can get off an accurate shot after being zapped by 125+ lumen tactical light really ought to try it. If your eyes are adjusted to the dark, the light is painful and results in a reflexive wince.

I wonder how many of the "no-light" guys have taken a low/no-light class recently (past couple years) and still advocate not having a light?

Chuck

#37 ·
I have a light just not on my firearm. And I have had low light training as you describe. The trouble with low light training by private outfits is this. Yes SWAT Military etc have swung to that mode of clearing a building etc.
And private training schools follow that lead either because they have an ex LE teaching or just a instructor that thinks because LE and Military do it its a great idea.
Trouble with that is that Swat etc move in teams not singles covering each as they move with for the most part overwhelming firepower. Not one guy with a handgun or shotgun or rifle flashing his way thru a dark house.
I have a light. I know when to use it and in a lot of different ways that dont pinpoint my vitals.
That being said there is only my wife and I here. Im in the middle of noplace. I know where she is and nobody else friendly is going to be here in my house without knocking. If someone is in here by breaking in they arent here to bring us a bowl of soup! If I blow holes through my entire house it wont matter my nearest neighbor is a mile away.
Just because you have been thru some low light training dont think some of the rest of us havent either, in practical one man search and clear with no back up. Like I said if you want a light on your gun and in a situation with kids friends who come thru locked doors in the middle of the night or something where you need to ID in your home at night please for petes sakes doso. In my little shack I dont need to because I have none of that to worry about.:smile:

#30 ·
to be fair, I think most of the "no light" people still use lights. just not attached to their guns in an attempt to separate their body from the light source (perceived target).

my upstairs gun (with a weapon light attached) has a Fenix PD32 and a few other things next to it. good to have options.

#32 ·
The light doesn't have to be on ALL the time. When it is turned on with a pad or switch on the side of teh gun, usually under your indiex finger, when your finger is in the indexed position where it belongs, you can set it to turn on strobe, or full. The point of the light is to see your target, illuminate your sights, and see in the dark. You shouldn't be stalking your BG anyway, you should be getting to your loved ones, or your safe room as quickly as possible, while calling 9-1-1.

the rail mounted light keeps both of your hands on the gun, or frees one up to open doors, etc while getting to safety.

#35 ·
I haven't had any training on the use of lights with a weapon, but with the bright lights we have these days, I'm not so sure that it would make a difference if you're holding the light outstretched or right in front of you.

The light literally blinds the BG so that they can't see what they're shooting at. I've looked into my lights to see what they would see, and frankly, I'm not so sure I'd be able to figure out the "center" of the light to shoot at if I were the BG. I'd assume they are just as easily going to spray their weapon in that general direction rather than be able to shoot the glass out of the light with a well-placed shot.

I understand the sentiment of those advocating holding the light in your off-hand, but I'm wondering if that matters much with lights becoming brighter and brighter. I'm probably wrong, but that's just my thought.

#36 ·
I have a weapon mounted light on my home and CCW guns. I will not go around searching the house with "Lights ON". I will wait for them to come to me into the Fatal Cone into my master bedroom. Out in public I expect full target identification and also carry a regular flash light in my left pocket as I am a right handed shooter. Either can be used in any situation as it develops, all of which will be fluid in nature. YMMV.

#40 ·
Not sure what is best I have a light on my glock but after thinking about it it does seem like i am targeting myself, I ve asked around an most here feel it better to be in the dark where you know the layout especially if you wake up your eyes have already adjusted
I guess Ill have to read up on the subject see whats the best senario for me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.