Experience with Howard Leight -Impact sport hearing protection

Experience with Howard Leight -Impact sport hearing protection

This is a discussion on Experience with Howard Leight -Impact sport hearing protection within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wanted to get some feedback from those of you who have used the Howard Leight protectors. I received a set as a Xmas gift ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Experience with Howard Leight -Impact sport hearing protection

Post Experience with Howard Leight -Impact sport hearing protection

I wanted to get some feedback from those of you who have used the Howard Leight protectors. I received a set as a Xmas gift and was really disappointed with them the first time I used them. It did magnify voices around me, but, it never blocked the gunshots, my ears were ringing after the shooting session. I've watched a ton of videos on them and they got good reviews. Has anyone else had this problem ?

What gun was being shot and where? A large caliber firearm in an indoor range can be above the protection level for muffs without adding ear plugs too.

I've had nothing but outstanding results with the Impact Sports and have recently received a pair of the Impact Pros and they are even better. For outdoor shooting, the Impact Sports should be very adequate. If you are not wearing them correctly, you will not have the full benefit of muffs so make sure first that you are correctly positioning them over your entire ear and not allowing eye protection or rifle stocks to lift them off the ear. If you still feel the report is not being cut out you may have a bad pair. Have someone that has used them before check them for you.

The Impact Pros are rated at 30db noise reduction and are primarily for pistol since they are in a full size muff and the Impact Sports which is rated at 22db noise reduction and are better for rifle since they are slimmer and allow a better eye to sight alignment over the cheek weld.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

I've used the Impact Sports for years and really like them. I have noticed that they can move around a bit and you need to make sure they are correctly adjusted and providing a good seal, otherwise they - and any earmuff - will let some noise in.

Another option is to wear foam plugs under the earmuffs - a lot of shooters that are serious about hearing safety do this.

joe
    aus71383 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    The only problem Ive had with mine were when using them at an indoor range the echo would sometimes confuse the electronics and they wouldn't dim the sound. now I only use them out doors. DR

Make sure that your glass stems aren't breaking the muff seal around your ears,with some shooting glasses I have to let the stems sit up higher which isn't that hard to get use to
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I wear glasses and I wonder if that was it. I was next to a guy shooting a 45, I was shooting my 9mm and they didn't deter the sound at all, it was an indoor range. I'll have someone else try them-thnx guys.

My work great, although I've never been to an indoor range.

I have some too and I wasn't that impressed with them either. They worked better when I turned them down though. I was also at an indoor range.

I got a pair for Christmas and just got around to using them yesterday out on my buddy's farm. I shot my AR-15, Glock 40, and stood near him while he fired his 45. They worked great for me out in the woods. In fact, they worked even better than I expected and I was really happy with them.

I set the volume roughly even to natural hearing though. Maybe that's it?

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    My brother has some and has used them but said could take them or leave them

VIP Member
    My son, my sister and I all got a pair for Christmas.

Some care must be taken to make sure that it has a good seal around your ears. When my son and sister first popped them on, I could see gaps.

However, once properly adjusted, they did a remarkable job of ear protection. We were blazing away with .357, .45, 9mm, 30-30, .270, and an AR in comfort (shooting outdoors).

Quote Originally Posted by brownsbacker View Post
    I wear glasses and I wonder if that was it. I was next to a guy shooting a 45, I was shooting my 9mm and they didn't deter the sound at all, it was an indoor range. I'll have someone else try them-thnx guys.
    I'd recommend for indoor range use always double up with a set of foam ear plugs too. The amplification you get with the muffs will make up for the reduction in sound for hearing voices.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

I love mine.

cj
    I'd bet on the glasses being the issue...if they're wide, or have thick bows, it can break the seal necessary to reduce sound.

I have been thinking of getting a pair, but I am likely to spend most of my time shooting at an indoor range that is very popular right now. I already have a set of foam ear plugs that are said to reduce noise by 32 dbl, but I don't want to risk my hearing.

Are there other brands that work just as well? I rather not spend $45 on something that is not going to work that great for what I need.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links