Question about lights - Page 2

Question about lights

This is a discussion on Question about lights within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by clipse I didn't mean to make it out to be a downside. Gary just stated in the original post that he was ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about lights

Quote Originally Posted by clipse View Post
    I didn't mean to make it out to be a downside. Gary just stated in the original post that he was looking for an LED light. I was just stating that it is not just an LED light.
    Fair point - I overlooked that. My apologies.

G.

I just got this and it was the best money I've spent.

http://www.amondotech.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=981

Senior Moderator
    The cheapest rout is to go to Walmart and retrofit a Magcell flashlite with the LED kit.

They work well and may be just the ticket for what you are looking for.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Here are a couple of other options as well.

http://www.digilightusa.com/Catalog/...oduct-list.asp
    or

www.pentagonlight.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kid1911 View Post
    Thank you for the "head's up" on Pentagon lights. While they do not make anything for the particular application that I had in mind (I'm gonna take Chris' and Lawrence's advice and put an LED head on my spare E2e for that) they seem to be FABULOUS lights.
    In fact, I believe that I may well be stocking Pentagon lights for sale by some time next week. I used to sell Surefire, but they got pretty difficult to deal with from a dealer's perspective. They make a GREAT product, but they are way overpriced, IMHO.
    By contrast, the Pentagon lights would seem to be every bit the light that the Surefire's are, are American made and you don't have to pay extra for shock isolated lamp assemblies - they're standard equipment. They also cost significanty less. Overall, this would seem to be the line of lights that I have been looking for.
    ( Presently, I am basing this solely upon researching them on the 'Net and the recommendation of a friend of mine. He was the deputy in charge of evaluating this kinda stuff for the S.O. where I used to live. He loves 'em)
    I am ordering some sample lights on Monday. I'll be posting reviews by week's end. If they are as good as they seem, I'll be taking orders for them next week.
    Thanks again for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland View Post
    They make a GREAT product, but they are way overpriced, IMHO.
    I use an expensive flashlight for the same reason that I have expensive holsters...

Quote Originally Posted by GarySlinger View Post
    I use an expensive flashlight for the same reason that I have expensive holsters...
    Yeah, I knew that was coming.
    I guess the reason I see a difference is that holstermaking is a 19th Century technology trying to compete in a 21st Century economy. I spend $20-$25 per holster on material alone, along with maybe 4 hours labor, give or take. By the time I pay my overhead, I make about what a rookie cop does.
    Flashlights such as Surefires are machined on CNC equipment that spits out the parts in minutes, and there is only a few bucks worth of material involved. I fully believe that the folks at Surefire deserve to make a good living off of their products, but when Pentagon can offer essentially the same light for half the price, it would seem that their profit margin is excessive.
    When I sold Surefire, my complaint was never with product quality or even price. They make GREAT stuff. My complaint is that they were (IMHO) very difficult to do business with. I had to pool my orders with another dealer because they have huge minimums, and I don't believe we ever got a shipment that was complete. We were backordered on something most of the time.
    Please do not take this the wrong way - I own a half dozen Surefire lights personally and they are FANTASTIC. I just believe that my customers will appreciate getting the same quality, durability and reliability from another maker at a substantially lower price. Where someone's life is hanging in the balance, quality and performance are all that count. However, if a person finds themselves in such a postion without a piece of equipment because they could not afford it, then they are truly in trouble.
    IF the Pentagon lights test out favorably (i.e. I can beat the crap out of them and still have them function, and their beam quality is up to par) then I see them as a great alternative to forcing a customer to spend all of their grocery money on a flashlight, or having them do without.
    Having said that, you'll never go wrong in buying a Surefire, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland View Post
    Plenty good stuff
    Heh heh I kinda expected the (completely justified) response to my wisecrack! You do make some very good points; from my perspective, I've only had to deal with Surefire as a customer & a consumer (i.e. I've ordered directly from them, and got their stuff from elsewhere), rather than as a dealer. I understand that can color your perceptions.

The difference between a mass-produced item and a custom handbuilt piece is definately notable. I really must get around to ordering a holster from you... I just have to decide whether for the 1911 or the XD...

In any event, I hope you find a light that works for you, on all fronts.

G.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geuq4_PU..._metalgear.htm

i bought one of these from walmart.cheap but bright.
    S&W-SW40VE
    molon labe
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" --Sigmund Freud

OK, I have a flashlight update:

My sample Pentagons arrived today. To say that I am impressed is a serious understatement. These are by far the best built lights I've ever examined.

Side by side comparison with a Surefire 6P indicated similar beam quality, with the Pentagon being slightly brighter, and having just a tad more "throw".

One of the primary complaints I've heard (and experienced myself) with Surefires is that the bulb filaments tend to break when you drop them. This certainly does not happen every time, but it is a problem nonetheless. If you drop them when they are "on", this is seems to be even more likely to happen. Keeping this in mind, I tossed my brand spankin' new X2 about 10-12 feet into the air, and allowed it to fall and bounce off of the concrete floor of my shop. I picked it up and it lit right up when I turned it on. The hard anodized finish was FANTASTIC - there was only a very minute mark that was barely visible to the naked eye.

Next, I took it outside and threw it up about 20-25 feet into the air WITH it turned ON! It landed on the switch (in gravel) and went out. When I picked it up and hit the switch, on it came without so much as a flicker. (It would seem that the impact just clicked off the tailcap "clicky" switch).

I disassembled it, and it is in fact shock isolated as advertised (there is a bulkhead between the batteries and the lamp module). The body segments are all sealed with TWO O-rings (to SF's one), the switch is totally sealed and all of the electrical contacts are gold plated.

My question when I first discovered Pentagon was "are these as good as a Surefire"? I no longer have any such questions - this is the finest light I've ever held in my hand.

However, there are two features that I do not like about the Pentagon lights, and here Surefire has it all over them. First, the tailcap switch is a "clicky" and this could get you killed in a tactical situation, IMO. It would be entirely too easy to over push the button past the "momentary" mode and click it on by accident, leaving an armed opponent an opportunity to zero in on the light and shoot. Pentagon does make a tailcap assemble that is solely a "push button momentary" that twists to stay on. I am working on having all of my lights so fitted.

Secondly, they are a bit bigger than a similar SF model (maybe 10% larger).

Overall, I'd say these are a super quality product at a VERY fair price. I'll be stocking them soon. Please call if you're interested. Thanks!

Final torture test update:
    My X2 has been immersed in a bucket of water for 14 hours. It is completely bone dry inside and works just fine. Thanks!

Awesome. Glad to hear you like your Pentagon light. I've read great things about them.

clipse
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links