Question about lights

This is a discussion on Question about lights within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi Folks, I've got a couple of SureFire's that I alternately carry for defensive purposes (6P and E2e). However, they eat batteries and are actually ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about lights

Question about lights

Hi Folks,

I've got a couple of SureFire's that I alternately carry for defensive purposes (6P and E2e). However, they eat batteries and are actually too bright for use close up as an actual flashlight.

I'm looking for an LED light as a companion to the SureFire that is small, compact and uses a single CR123A lithium battery. I want something in the 20 - 30 lumen range that will provide 3 hours + of usable light per battery. Thus far I have it narrowed down to an Inova T1 or a LEDWAVE X11. The Inova does not offer much run time so I am leaning toward the LEDWAVE - but I don't know much about them. Does anyone have any experience with them?

SureFire makes a single cell LED that seems pretty much what I am looking for, but I'm having a hard time getting used to the idea of spending a c-note on a flashlight. (I certainly understand the need to spend big bucks on a tactical light - my life may depend upon it working). But, a hundred bucks on a light just to find my way to the head? It seems excessive.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    All I can say Gary is - that while my E1e LED head was spendy - $50 or more - it is exactly what I wanted. I was lucky to buy the original flashlight at less than new price.

I have since had the base switch play up - it was the press on or turn base for permanent on. I contacted the makers.

Surefire sent me a new one very fast - which is now the click on/off but pressure too will give some temporary on. I get superb battery life now and fall-off is gradual - even if a battery gets down to 2.8V or so the light is still well serviceable.

I am still well pleased with my diminutive but very useful light.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Look at the Fenix P1 Gary! A nice light for the money and it's small enough for the pocket.

The P1 might not be the exact one you have in mind but if not they have others that are nice too that will use AA or AAA batteries and have high/low option. These are hard to beat for the money.

Here is a helpfull link to them as well as others you might be interested in checking out. http://www.lighthound.com/sales/fenix.htm

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

The P1 is a great. It is close to 35 lumens. It does run just shy of your '2 to 3 hours' at 1 hour 45 minutes but it is a great little light. I have one in my pocket right now in fact.
    [this pic give you an idea of how big the P1 and L1T is next to a 2x123 cell light.

Also, for a more inexpensive option, look at the Dorcy Super 1 Watt that takes one CR123 battery. It is close to 25 lumens and runs for about 2 1/2 hours before it hits 50% brightness.

If you are looking for something rechargable, look at the Fenix L1T, you get 2 hr 40 minutes on high (close to 10 hours on low) [with a rechargable AA] and it is around 25 lumens on high.(almost 10 lumens on low) It is a very versitile light.

If I were you, I would check into the Dorcy first, you can get it at target and it runs uncer $20. If you find its either too big, or just not for you, then you can throw in the glove box with an extra battery or two and have a spare emergancy light.
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

+1 for DORCY

I just wrote a quick response on another thread about Dorcy lights.
    Can't be beat for the money.
    A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

Thanks for the replies, guys. I really do like the Fenix lights, but I just cannot bring myself to support Communist China.
    I'll check out the Dorcey - anyone know where they're made?

Senior Moderator
    I don't know were they are made but I like them. I have one and am very pleased.

Dorcy = Made in China!

ETA - Yep, I just looked again and my other Dorcy is made in Taiwan. Apparently they are made both places.

Good lights though, but I agree with what you are saying. It is almost impossible these day's to buy everything made in the USA I find. Even Levis cracked! We do still have made in the USA choices in flash lights at least.

Ti.
    Last edited by Ti Carry; October 26th, 2006 at 01:12 PM.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I just called Dorcy - the model 41-4262 (Lithium cr123a powered, 1 watt Luxeon) is made in Taiwan. I'd still prefer something American made, but at least Taiwan is US friendly.
    I really do like the Fenix lights, but that China thing really chaps my behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland View Post
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I really do like the Fenix lights, but I just cannot bring myself to support Communist China.
    I'll check out the Dorcey - anyone know where they're made?
    How about an LED replacement head from surefire?
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland View Post
    Hi Folks,
    SureFire makes a single cell LED that seems pretty much what I am looking for, but I'm having a hard time getting used to the idea of spending a c-note on a flashlight. (I certainly understand the need to spend big bucks on a tactical light - my life may depend upon it working). But, a hundred bucks on a light just to find my way to the head? It seems excessive.
    You probably don't want my recommendation of the Surefire Aviator that's currently sat in my suit coat pocket then, do you...? I do recommend it though - 3 LED's that run for 20 hours for "basic seeing", with the added bonus of a 50 lumen "blind 'em" white light.

I carry a Z2 as a defense weapon - I have the 120 lumen head, so it only runs 20 minutes. I don't plan to ever use it as a regular flashlight. That's what the Aviator is for... That one's always with me now. It has a "slightly" crenellated/scalloped bezel as well. Purely decorative, I assure you

G.

Inova lights. Exactly what you're after. Made in USA, too!
    http://www.tadgear.com/x-treme%20gea..._led_light.htm

That's the X5, but they are all great performers.

Quote Originally Posted by GarySlinger View Post
    You probably don't want my recommendation of the Surefire Aviator that's currently sat in my suit coat pocket then, do you...? I do recommend it though - 3 LED's that run for 20 hours for "basic seeing", with the added bonus of a 50 lumen "blind 'em" white light.
    Several tests have shown that Surefires '50 lumen' claim is way off. By almost half. Most that have tested their A2 came much closer to 90 lumens.

The A2 is a great flashlight. It is another light that I currently have in my pocket. (side pocket on cargo pants) Its a bit pricey but deffinately worth it. Also, its not completely LED. But still a great versitile flashlight. :)

clipse
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Quote Originally Posted by clipse View Post
    Several tests have shown that Surefires '50 lumen' claim is way off. By almost half. Most that have tested their A2 came much closer to 90 lumens.

The A2 is a great flashlight. It is another light that I currently have in my pocket. (side pocket on cargo pants) Its a bit pricey but deffinately worth it. Also, its not completely LED. But still a great versitile flashlight. :)

clipse
    I automatically started going "NO WAY!" at your first few words, but I agree with the rest I can't measure my lights, but I can do subjective tests - the white light on the Aviator hurts me "only a little less" than the "120 lumen" white light on my Z2. Yeah, I'm one of those guys that chose to flash himself with his lights...

Your latter point, that it's not completely LED - I think that's a feature, a benefit. I have a green one (which, I must confess, I won as a prize at the Glock Summit - thanks OPS!) and I'm loving having the green LED when I'm coming home at night, but still the white light option if I've chosen not to carry the Z2 that time.

G,

Quote Originally Posted by GarySlinger View Post
    Your latter point, that it's not completely LED - I think that's a feature, a benefit. I have a green one (which, I must confess, I won as a prize at the Glock Summit - thanks OPS!) and I'm loving having the green LED when I'm coming home at night, but still the white light option if I've chosen not to carry the Z2 that time.

G,
    I didn't mean to make it out to be a downside. Gary just stated in the original post that he was looking for an LED light. I was just stating that it is not just an LED light. I appreciate its features. I opted for the Red LEDs and really like them for inside the house. Thier usage outdoors is very limited. The Green LED's are supposed to be the brightest of the colors with White being a close second. I kinda wish I would have went for the white but I still love my little A2. :)

I'll be going on the Youth Deer Hunt(taking my little brother) tomorrow and the A2 will be perfect. Animals are bothered as much by Red light, and since it is dim, we should be able to see where we are walking but not blind something to far away. I think it will be ideal for hunting.

clipse
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links