Surefire G2 problem

This is a discussion on Surefire G2 problem within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got a Surefire G2 for Christmas more than a year ago. Not long after I got I dropped in on the carpet. That knocked ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surefire G2 problem

Surefire G2 problem

I got a Surefire G2 for Christmas more than a year ago. Not long after I got I dropped in on the carpet. That knocked the bulb out of its position just enought to skew the beam up quite a bit. Surefire was realy good to me and jsut sent me a knew lamp assembly without having me send in the deffective one. I thought that was great customer service. I was. however, very upset about the light and my new lack of confidence in it. I haven't used it hardly at all since then and it has been sitting on my night stand. Well, a couple days ago I picked it up and pressed the button and nothing happened. I figured it was just dead batteries. I got some new batteries out and no go. I tried yet another set of batteries and still nothing. I then tried all the batteried in my Streamlight Scorpion and all worked fine. I thought for a few minutes and looked at the bulb and saw that it was fine and not burnt out. So I messed with it for another 30 minutes trying to determine what the problem was. Still nothing. So this morning I sent an email to Surefire.

To whom it may concern,

I have has my Surefire G2 for just over a year now. I sent it the warrenty card quite a while ago. I haven't used this light more than probably 3 hours total and it is not working. I thought the batteries were bad untill I tried them in another light and they worked fine. I then tried new batteries in the G2 and nothing. I tried to look and see if the bulb was burnt out but that a quite difficult. It didn't look like it was. This is actually my second lamp assembly for this light as well. The first on had to be replaced because it was defective. This is really disconcerning because I read so many good things about Surefire and I really want to like this light but in one year and very very little use I am on my second problem. I would like to send this light to you and have you guys look at it closely and see what the problem is. It could very likely be idiotic user error but I don't really thing it is. I need to know where to send it and if I need some kind of refrence number to go along with it. Also would like me to send the batteries with it?

Thanks,

clipse

Like I said, this is my second problem with this light. I have absolutely no problems with my Streamlights and I have severely abused one. I am sure Surefire will do me right. I just wish this light would work more often.

Any ideas of what it might be?

clipse

2. Remove Ads

Wow this was quick.

Sir,
    Please call us to receive an RMA number to return the light for warranty
    repair .If you have any further questions do not hesitate to write back or call
    us at 1-800-828-8809. We are dedicated to providing world-class customer service
    and welcome future inquiries or comments.
    SureFire Technical Support
    1-800-828-8809
    714-545-9444
    714-545-9537 (Fax)

I love to see companies stand by their products like that. Makes me feel confident spending my money with just such a company.

~A

I love to see companies stand by their products like that. Makes me feel confident spending my money with just such a company.
    While I do agree with you, I think a flashlight is some that should work more than an hour or two before it breaks.

I just got off the phone with Surefire. They are sending me a replacement lamp assembly. Hopefully that will work. It is the P60 lamp assembly that I have in it and I don't have another light that it would work it. I guess I will wait and see what happens. The guy said 90% of the time its either the bulb or the batteries. I was able to deffinately check the batteries so they are just going to send a new bulb. I let you guys know.

I just seems like Surefires bulbs/lamp assemblies are very weak as far as durability and longevity are concerned. Or maybe I just got two deffective lamp assemblies in a row. That doesn't say much for the quality of thier product. I am just in absolute awe. I read so many great things about Surefire and on personal experience I would rather have a Legand LX than the G2. So far this is looking like Surefire is the Kel-Tec of flashlights.

DC Founder
    Originally posted by clipse
    While I do agree with you, I think a flashlight is some that should work more than an hour or two before it breaks.

I just got off the phone with Surefire. They are sending me a replacement lamp assembly. Hopefully that will work. It is the P60 lamp assembly that I have in it and I don't have another light that it would work it. I guess I will wait and see what happens. The guy said 90% of the time its either the bulb or the batteries. I was able to deffinately check the batteries so they are just going to send a new bulb. I let you guys know.

It just seems like Surefires bulbs/lamp assemblies are very weak as far as durability and longevity are concerned. Or maybe I just got two deffective lamp assemblies in a row. That doesn't say much for the quality of thier product. I am just in absolute awe. I read so many great things about Surefire and on personal experience I would rather have a Legand LX than the G2. So far this is looking like Surefire is the Kel-Tec of flashlights.
    Surefire flashlights are guaranteed for life. I don't think they would stand behind their product like that if they had a lot of problems with it. I took my E2E completely apart a couple of nights ago and it is a sturdy little instrument. Just looking at it, it could only be the bulb/lamp assembly, the batteries or the switch. The lamp assembly looks to be the most fragile so I would think they were doing you a favor just sending a new lamp assembly at their expense rather than having you spend the money on sending the whole unit back to them. I would say most of the precision flashlights would break if you dropped them the wrong way. Just about every flashlight I have ever dropped over the last 45+ years has had to have the lamp replaced when I dropped it.

I dropped my 4 cell MagLite on semi soft ground once while I was writing a guy a citation and it was down for the count. Later on it went through more than a few scuffles and I never lost another bulb. I wouldn't be too hard on Surefire, they are doing the right thing by you on the replacements. If there was a design or component problem, I guarantee you they wouldn't be the most popular flashlight on the market right now. People wouldn't buy one just because they are cool looking, but they are. I love mine :)

I have a Streamlight Scorpion that I dropped three times from 15 feet onto concrete and not once did it stop. I dropped the surefire from three feet onto carpet the bulb is knocked out of place. I may eventually try another Surefire but for now I will stick to Streamlight other than this G2. I do figure I just coincidently got two deffective lamp assemblies. Its just not good on my confidence in this light and Surefire as a whole.

clipse

Ive been considering getting an OD G2 for my AR...Ive got a Scorpion as well that I have abused more than should be and it still runs perfectly even with a slightly melted lens.

I hope to see this issue resolved..as I have heard many good things about Surefire as well.

Lead Moderator
    no problems with my G2 .Going on 3 years now. Been dropped, covered in snow and abused. Next it is gonig on my AR.

i got to get a sure fire i still work in the dark ages

Lead Moderator
    If your in the market check out the twin task streamlight. Zenon bulb and LED bulbs.

im still using a oil lamp :)

1952 - 2006
    I had a similar problem with my Surefire 6P. Mine is an old style without the hex head and it rolled off the bench in the locker room onto the floor 18" down to the tile floor, the bulb assmebly was shot. I ordered a new one and it has worked fine since. Judging from your experience and mine I would conclude that they are indeed fragile. The 6P also uses the same capsule as your G2.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    im still using a oil lamp :)
    Oil? I thought shooters all used carbide lamps!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Im old School... Finally bought a Surefire though nice and bright theink ill mount it to shotgun

My G2 is new at X-mas so far no prblems rolling arround in the console with my 1911.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links