Blue Guns

Blue Guns

This is a discussion on Blue Guns within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Are they a good investment as far use for practice? I was thinking of getting one instead of using my carry gun to practice drawing ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Blue Guns

Blue Guns

Are they a good investment as far use for practice? I was thinking of getting one instead of using my carry gun to practice drawing from a holster etc. It would save the finish at the very least. Thanks.
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

http://carniakcustom.com/

VIP Member
    An investment means you would yield a profit when trying to sell it.

You buy it because YOU feel it would save your "real" pistol from wear and tear so to speak.

I would just use my pistol, unloaded of course when drawing from concealment for practice.
    That way it would feel like the real deal with as close to the weight and everything associated with it.
    Olduser likes this.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

JD
    Administrator

Re: Blue Guns

For drawing practice your gun may be better unless you get a weighted blue gun.

I like to try and have a blue gun for every carry gun for a couple of reasons.

1 I can use it to help break in a new holster while still carrying my gun.
    2 we do enough hand to hand stuff, especially since were now taking martial arts on a regular basis that its nice to have them for sparring etc.

As for preventing finish wear on your gun, its only delaying the inevitable.

Sent via Tapatalk 2, and still using real words.

VIP Member
    Not for drawing and for finish saving, for the reasons already stated. I do like them, however, for training newbies - especially if they are afraid of guns. Systematic desensitization - handle one that is realistic looking but an off-color and obviously plastic and not too scary. Train them the basics of gun safety so they get used to keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction and finger off trigger. I have a Dry-Fire and not a Ring's Blue Gun.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

If you have not looked, they run in the $50 range to get one to your door. And Ring's is behind on production right now. I get mine here for holster making. Great guy to deal with. As an FYI, he's had some technical difficulties lately.

Message - BLUEGUN STORE
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by Munch View Post
    Are they a good investment as far use for practice?
    Yes. It's about the only way to invariably ensure you're handling an inoperable firearm. A "blue" gun and knife can be wonderful training tools. IMO, there simply aren't good alternatives, particularly when doing force-on-force drills with another.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I think blue guns will be included in Bloomberg's next round of legislation, because they remind people of something they cannot own. In fact, I think he's working on joint legislation with Feinstein to ban "finger guns" as well.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    I think blue guns will be included in Bloomberg's next round of legislation, because they remind people of something they cannot own. In fact, I think he's working on joint legislation with Feinstein to ban "finger guns" as well.
    Well, after all, "unloaded guns are just as dangerous."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by chasbo00 View Post
    I'm a large black guy with a shoulder tic...not sure how to take this?
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

I think it may prove useful for muscle memory development though. Repetition would necessarily cause a lot of wear while attempting to ingrain the motion over the period of time needed developing a fluid draw.

...how he got through that with a straight face I can't imagine...he's hilarious!!!

I took a KCI Glock mag and cut the feed lips off. I then epoxied enough lead inside to simulate the weight of a loaded magazine. It will not take a live round of ammo.

Add a Bladetech training barrel and it was still cheaper than a blue gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...how he got through that with a straight face I can't imagine...he's hilarious!!!
    Yep, Q did a great job with the video. It's even more impressive when you realize it's a parody of this video:

@Munch, The parody video is funny, as far as the blue gun, I understand the concept but I'd rather use exactly what I carry. Get some snap caps if your concerned about dry firing issues, and for the finish on your gun, well they don't stay new forever. A little wear adds character to a gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links