Is the Crimson Trace really worth the $300? - Page 2

Is the Crimson Trace really worth the $300?

This is a discussion on Is the Crimson Trace really worth the $300? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott I researched the CT and Lasers in general before I bought mine. I have 3 of my carry pistols with ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Is the Crimson Trace really worth the $300?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    I researched the CT and Lasers in general before I bought mine. I have 3 of my carry pistols with CT (they also have regular night sights).

There are obviously pros and cons--practice with Iron sights, practice, practice and practice some more.

However, the deciding point for me was a report I read that several large LEO departments were experimenting with them as well--and there was a significant number of instances when perps who were combative, backed down immediately when that little red dot showed up on their center-of-mass. If I don't have to shoot/kill somebody because of the little red dot, its worth a lot more than $300. If I do have to shoot anyway, that little red dot can't hurt. I will have CT on my duty weapon.
    I heard a similar story from a friend of mine which is why I'm considering the CT, that and I think it would be a good training aid.

Administrator
    Crimson Trace LG 661 for s w M P Subcompact 9mm 357 40 | eBay

$279.00 "Buy It Now" & Free Shipping on Ebay - just FYI
    guitarzNgunz likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I like it.. :) can them used for cheaper.
    Attached Images
    guitarzNgunz likes this.
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

Quote Originally Posted by DandLfam View Post
    I like it.. :) can them used for cheaper.
    Did you get yours used? If so how much and where from?

I have one on a G17 and consider it a real asset. It adds capabilities that the weapon doesn't have with iron sights. However, it is not a replacement for iron sights, but an additional tool that increases the weapon's shootability under adverse conditions. $300 is pricey but if you can afford it, it is worth having IMO.
    guitarzNgunz likes this.

Yes, mine were used. Got them from a friend who sold his 9c. Prefer not to go into details besides saved over $100. As stated above, great asset. Not to be replaced for irons though.
    guitarzNgunz likes this.
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

I have a CT laser grip on my S&W 640:
    SW640__Remora2.jpg

Love.It. The steel sights were completely useless in low light conditions, but this grip activated laser works great.

I, too, hesitated at the price, but as the saying goes, when you pay for quality, you only cry once. Plus, I like to think my life is worth $279 plus tax. I paid the extra money for the model with the on/off switch because I prefer to shoot with the steel sights at the range, and didn't want to keep running down the battery in the laser grip.

I have Trijicon night sights on my Sig, and those are nice too.
    guitarzNgunz likes this.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

Shooters Resource usually has good prices on CT lasers.

ALL my carry handguns wear CT lasers.
    guitarzNgunz likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    There are a lot of lasers out there that cost a lot less. Wife has a cheap laser on her P238 and it works fine.

I have one for my G23. I like it. Ultimatly it's a HUGE training aid WRT trigger control and WHAT your doing while on target. I bought mine after working/talking with a couple LEO friends who have lasers on their duty sidearms..... they LOVE that BG's pee themselves when they 'sweep' the laser across their face. they generally give up right then.

However, I'm not an LEO and I anticipate if utilizing my sidearm in a defensive situation the laser would be a minimal help at best. I DO like it on my 'house gun' but it is neither relied upon or trusted. Just a really nice 'backup'.

It's NOT on my EDC. Master the skills needed without the laser, then, if the 3 Benjamins are still burning a whole in your wallet, get it and further your training. It's an extra tool, nothing more.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I have them on my S&W model 60-1 .38 Chiefs Special and really like them. Had them on it for about 5 years now. I don't rely on them but they are a nice addition for these old eyes. For me I find the iron sights on this gun very hard to see sometimes even in bright light. But in low light conditions and dark you can't beat the Crimson Trace Lasers. Just make sure to get your iron sights and your laser singing out of the same hymn book.
    guitarzNgunz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    There are a lot of lasers out there that cost a lot less. Wife has a cheap laser on her P238 and it works fine.
    Is this the trigger guard laser, or did she find a grip-activated style?

My P238 came with a trigger guard laser... but it has a tiny on/off switch that must be switched before use, in addition to knocking off the safety on the gun.

Two switches to flip before firing didn't seem realistic in a SHTF situation, so mine is now collecting dust in a drawer.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

I have a CT on each of my pistols. It is great for point and shoot!!
    Yes, I think it is well worth the money.
    guitarzNgunz likes this.

Ok I think I'm about sold.
    guitarzNgunz likes this.

I love mine on my semi snub nose .357 (I say semi snub nose cause it's the 2.xx inch barrel on a medium K frame type not big, but not the smallest). I can hold my own with iron sights pretty well but with such a short gun my groupings start spreading out pretty quick once more distance comes into the equation.

I tried firing all 7 shots quickly in a row with and without the laser at about 10-15 yds. With the iron sights I can put every round on the torso somewhere of the silhouette. The guy should go down no doubt. With the laser on and consecutively firing I can put all 7 right in the heart area grouping at about 7-10 inches total. He won't have a heart left(or head). It's drastic in improving my groupings on that little gun.

When I did the test I did single action shots only.

If this places my shots in a time of great excitement on the invader/mugger/ whatever on the person instead of being fired wild, it's well worth it.
    Like mentioned above, it's great for trigger practice when used without ammo. You can practice getting a consistent trigger pull and keeping the laser still. It's no doubt taught me better control of my trigger finger.
    guitarzNgunz likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links