Is the Crimson Trace really worth the $300?

This is a discussion on Is the Crimson Trace really worth the $300? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Things go really wrong. You're on the ground hit twice. Once in your strong side shoulder. You're bleeding out....ready to black out. Bad guy approaches ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Is the Crimson Trace really worth the $300?

Administrator
    Things go really wrong.
    You're on the ground hit twice.
    Once in your strong side shoulder.
    You're bleeding out....ready to black out.
    Bad guy approaches to finish you off.
    Laser.
    Red Dot.
    Priceless.
    guitarzNgunz likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Things go really wrong.
    You're on the ground hit twice.
    Once in your strong side shoulder.
    You're bleeding out....ready to black out.
    Bad guy approaches to finish you off.
    Laser.
    Red Dot.
    Priceless.
    Exactly.
    guitarzNgunz likes this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Thanks for all the help guys and gals, I talked to the wife last night about the need of a laser for concealed carry and she completely agrees that is an important tool to have. She too has a laser that came stock on her BG380, so she gets it. Now to just wait for my tax returns to come in!

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Ive thought about putting one on My G27 but have not as of yet but this is goodfeedback

Quote Originally Posted by MrsHB View Post
    I have a CT laser grip on my S&W 640:
    Attachment 67799

Love.It. The steel sights were completely useless in low light conditions, but this grip activated laser works great.

I, too, hesitated at the price, but as the saying goes, when you pay for quality, you only cry once. Plus, I like to think my life is worth $279 plus tax. I paid the extra money for the model with the on/off switch because I prefer to shoot with the steel sights at the range, and didn't want to keep running down the battery in the laser grip.

I have Trijicon night sights on my Sig, and those are nice too.
    That's a nice S&W 640 w/CT AND Remora! I love Remora holsters, just thought I'd throw that in there.

I just went through this with an XD, I picked up. Price was a little higher because it had the CT grip laser, which I could care less about, never been a fan of lasers, but it was included, so I have one.

Get the gun home, and it was going to be my home defense gun. First off, the laser needs no training, it's on the grip, so when you grab the gun, you hit the switch with your finger and it's on. Any accessory that integrates into natural movement is a plus. No need to worry about training in a stress situation. Then I turned out the lights to check out how well it works in no light/low light, since that would be the most likely time I would use it. I was impressed. It puts off just enough light to see in the dark, but not so much that you're blinded or giving away your position.

Next was at the range. Placing the dot on target and pulling the trigger was MUCH faster than lining up sights. I knew it would be quicker, but I didn't realize how much quicker it would be. Aim was improved, follow up shot speed was greatly improved.

So, I obtained one by accident, and have been converted, especially for a home defense weapon. I will be ordering another one for my other "stay at home" guns.
    guitarzNgunz likes this.

Re: Is the Crimson Trace really worth the $300?

I just ordered one for the .44 mag I picked up today. I could switch over the one from my .357 with the same frame but its worth it to me to keep one on each gun. Love it.

Re: Is the Crimson Trace really worth the $300?

While waiting for the next grip I swapped over the grip to the .44. I had to make some adjustments to get then right though. I used a laser bore sighter and matched them at 10-15 yds. It shoots an inch high closer, and an inch low two inches right father out.
    Last edited by Superacerc; February 7th, 2013 at 09:34 PM.

I plan on getting one for my Shield. But the question now is should I wait until they offer a green dot or go with the red dot now?

Green would be nicer no doubt. However, are they even going to make them all in green(if they do how long will it be till it's out for yours) and how much will they cost vs the red? The ones I've seen tack on another 100+ dollars for green. I'm pretty happy with the red. The only time you would have difficulty seeing it would be in very bright sunlight. I can see mine most all the time outside except on a light surface being shined on directly by the full sun.
    MJClark likes this.

Just ordered the LG-661 for my M&P 40c, and I also ordered a LG-660 for my mother in laws full size M&P 9!

Any advantage you can have in a life or death situation is worthwhile.
    I did three things to enhance sighting on my XDm.
    1. Added Big Dot tritiums.
    2. Painted them brighter.
    3. Added a Crimson Trace Laserguard.

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

Night sights are good, but think about it: Most SD situations are close. It seems to me that once you raise your gun to aim down the sights the gun is within arm's reach of the BG. The laser is great for point shooting and shooting when you can not assume a proper sight picture (around an obstacle). Superimposing a red or green dot on the target is a good idea, and the CT laser activates when you grab the gun. As stated before, you should also train for when it does not work, because stuff happens and Murphy tells us that if anything can go wrong it will at the worst possible time.

Technology can fail. Iron sights don't require batteries. With enough practice you won't need a silly light to tell you where you're going to shoot.

"Technology can fail."- and it will. Training for failure is part of any training.
    "Iron sights don't require batteries."- but they do require that the pistol be brought to bear in front of the line of vision. May not be possible off your back from retention, or any of the positions one may find themselves in after being set upon unexpectedly. If the laser hasn't failed, the dot will confirm sight alignment if the irons are not in front of the field of vision.
    "With enough practice you won't need a silly light to tell you where you're going to shoot."-how much is 'enough'? Anything that can helps confirm sight alignment and still allow you to focus on your target sounds like a win/win to me.
    Again, training until it is a seamless part of your system, and training for failure (ie, irons, pointshooting), and anything that improves one's confidence, would seem to me to be a positive, not "silly".
    ymmv

dan
    guitarzNgunz likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links