Is the Crimson Trace really worth the $300?

This is a discussion on Is the Crimson Trace really worth the $300? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Contemplating getting the LG-661 Crimson Trace Lasergrip for my M&P 40c, is it really all it's cracked up to be? Is there another laser that ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Is the Crimson Trace really worth the $300?

Contemplating getting the LG-661 Crimson Trace Lasergrip for my M&P 40c, is it really all it's cracked up to be? Is there another laser that is more affordable but just as good or close to the quality of the CT? I just have a hard time shelling out $300 for a laser, but it is awesome!

http://www.crimsontrace.com/products...olvers/01-2120

Brother,
    here's my take on CT, along with most any "accessory".
    IF, if you train with it until it is a seemless part of your system, and IF you train for it to fail (ie, train/practice your irons, and your pointshooting), IF you never have to use it, you are only out $300 in a lifetime. But, IF you do ever need to employ it to save your life, or the life of a loved one, that $300 won't even cross your mind.

My opinion.

dan

I bought one a few yrs ago for my full size m&p 40.It was ok.No problem.I put a set of night sights on it and stopped using the laser.Just a personal choice.If you decide to buy the ctl,ck out opticsplanet.com.I've ordered a few times from them and there service was great.Haven't used them lately thou.
    guitarzNgunz and USM1976 like this.

Re: Is the Crimson Trace really worth the $300?

I have a CT Laser Grip on my Sig and it is awesome. You can activate it or not simply by pressing with the middle finger. It also has an on off switch. It works great for those times when you cannot fully extend your arms to use the sights. It makes the longer shots much easier. The feel is the same as the original grips only it says Crimson Trace instead of Sig. To me it is definitely worth the money and is a very useful addition to a CC pistol.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    guitarzNgunz likes this.
    NRA Life member
    USCCA member
    A muscle not exercised will eventually atrophy.
    A right not exercised will eventually be taken away!

I put one on my kimber ultra carry, I found it to be fun for play but I doubt it would come into play in a real time environment for myself anyway.
    guitarzNgunz likes this.
    My EDC G27 gen. 4
    Favorite range gun G23 gen. 3

NRA Life Member

I have one on my Combat Commander and at night it works well for me......better than night sights which I have on my 30sf.....IMO.

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    If you have $300 burning a hole in your pocket with nothing else to do with it, it's a fun accessory and probably useful. I've, luckily, never had to defend my home or person with a firearm, but you can be very sure that I'm not going to rely on a little red dot.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c
    Favorite Firearm: 1968 SW .357 Revolver

I have been debating this same thing for ly Glock 27. I have night sights and using them have become 2nd nature for me, just don't know if I want to mess with that by adding one more thing to the mix.

VIP Member
    If you happen to be an NRA certified instructor, they offer quite a discount from the factory.
    10thmtn and Superhouse 15 like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by jdsumner View Post
    Brother,
    here's my take on CT, along with most any "accessory".
    IF, if you train with it until it is a seemless part of your system, and IF you train for it to fail (ie, train/practice your irons, and your pointshooting), IF you never have to use it, you are only out $300 in a lifetime. But, IF you do ever need to employ it to save your life, or the life of a loved one, that $300 won't even cross your mind.

My opinion.

dan
    Nicely put Dan, now to just convince the wife of this...

Quote Originally Posted by gregnsc View Post
    I bought one a few yrs ago for my full size m&p 40.It was ok.No problem.I put a set of night sights on it and stopped using the laser.Just a personal choice.If you decide to buy the ctl,ck out opticsplanet.com.I've ordered a few times from them and there service was great.Haven't used them lately thou.
    What night sights do you have? That might be an alternative to consider.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I researched the CT and Lasers in general before I bought mine. I have 3 of my carry pistols with CT (they also have regular night sights).

There are obviously pros and cons--practice with Iron sights, practice, practice and practice some more.

However, the deciding point for me was a report I read that several large LEO departments were experimenting with them as well--and there was a significant number of instances when perps who were combative, backed down immediately when that little red dot showed up on their center-of-mass. If I don't have to shoot/kill somebody because of the little red dot, its worth a lot more than $300. If I do have to shoot anyway, that little red dot can't hurt. I will have CT on my duty weapon.
    10thmtn likes this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by KoriBustard View Post
    If you have $300 burning a hole in your pocket with nothing else to do with it, it's a fun accessory and probably useful. I've, luckily, never had to defend my home or person with a firearm, but you can be very sure that I'm not going to rely on a little red dot.
    Well I definitely don't have the money burning a hole in my pocket, I'm a new homeowner so there is a HUGE list of to-do's with the tax return money but I need to at least get one toy!

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I love mine
    guitarzNgunz likes this.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    If you happen to be an NRA certified instructor, they offer quite a discount from the factory.
    Really! Good to know I have a close friend who is an NRA Instructor, what kind of discount are you talkin' any idea?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links