Are old Maglites worth keeping?

This is a discussion on Are old Maglites worth keeping? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As much as i hate chinese crap, I buy my nitrile gloves for mechanic work at harbor freight. My buddy was with me last time ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Are old Maglites worth keeping?

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    As much as i hate chinese crap, I buy my nitrile gloves for mechanic work at harbor freight. My buddy was with me last time in the city, he pointed out they had ten packs of small LED flashlights on sale for $10. You can buy a few and leave them everywhere, toss them when the batterys die. Not sure I want to go that route, but its an option.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

2. Remove Ads

Old blue 3 D light with the factory LED upgrade. Still works great. With the LED the batteries last a long time. It's usually in the door pocket of the truck.
    Like the old saying: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------— George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

HELLO....they are LIFETIME WARRANTIED!!! They work forever or get replaced free. There is an upgrade kit to convert any of them to LED for less than half price of a new LED light and they're tough as heck. You can run over it with a fire truck and it will work..my friend did! Try that with your other LED's. A few things are worth buying: Maglights and Zippo lighters are warrantied forever. Gerber makes good knives, especially if you can get a USA made one. Ruger makes good firearms. Any company that makes good products is worth standing behind, especially supporting BUY AMERICAN and keep AMERICANS working.
    Snub44, msgt/ret, JDE101 and 2 others like this.

I have one I bought in 1992! The rechargeable batteries are gone but I just used regular D cells now. Not as bright as the new ones but makes a great baton in a pinch.
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Why not, if it comes down to it a three or four D cell Maglight does make a very good social training aid.
    I couldnt have said it better..... LOL

Maglites have made great defensive clubs since day one.

Senior Moderator
    Keep them for an improvised suppressor which actually can work very well with a little bit of machining. Using a Form 1, you can legally make your own, and most of the work is already done. Replace the head of the flashlight with an adapter that fits the threads on a pistol or rifle and load it up with spacers and fender washers. They work great on .22's.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I have a few of them around with the led conversion c&d cell. They burn forever for power outages and as said before good for social training. My carry lights are all Fenix but I keep the big Maglights handy in the vehicles and around the house.

I always considered a mag light a nice club with a handy little light on the end. Put one In the driver door pocket of all your vehicles.
    msgt/ret likes this.

I would say so. Parts seem to interchange fairly well. I haven't seen any in a few years (I guess they want you to buy a new flashlight) but the LED upgrades are available. I bought mine for frog gigging and the 3D is pretty friggin bright but my buddy's halogen bulb (doesn't last near as long on batteries) shows more detail. Mine is corroted pretty bad inside but still works.

Goose
    "These days I go down to Wal-Mart and they sell 'em in the back.
    Some people wanna take 'em away, why don't you go bust them boys that's sellin' crack.
    Guns, whether Remingtons 'er Glocks.
    Come on man it ain't like I'm a slingin' 'em on the block." - Justin Moore

I read this whole thread.... Like a lot of folks, I don't like getting rid of something that still works. Also, it's something that has multiple uses.... like a baton, or in a survival situation it could be anything. Plus, like Gunsmoke16 says, they have a lifetime warranty. So, I'm keeping mine, forever!
    Nations crumble from within when the citizenry asks of government those things which it might better provide for itself... Man is not free unless government is limited... As government expands, liberty contracts.
    -Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Got one in the jeep,it never hurts to have a backup light and if not going to be using it except in emergencies instead of leaving the batteries in it you could attach them externally so if needed insert them and voila light
    Have gone the route of keeping the batteries external from the light... only to find someone else "borrowed" the batteries. Instead, I keep the batteries in the flashlight, but put a piece of thin card stock between the last battery and the spring inside the cap. need the light? unscrew the cap, remove card stock and then recap. Breaks the circuit to prevent slow power drain. Haven't had any leak on me this way, either. Maybe I'm just lucky.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    I have plenty of LED lights. Which are great. But halogen still has a purpose. The warm tones can offer better visibility in a variety of situations. I got a new maglite for christmas last year. Personally, I wouldn't trade it for another LED light.
    There are lots of LED lights that are heavily biased towards blue but not all. My JETBeams are pretty white as are all my Surefire lights (except one older one that's a smidge blue). I haven't really found it to be an issue on the better LED models.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke16 View Post
    HELLO....they are LIFETIME WARRANTIED!!! They work forever or get replaced free. There is an upgrade kit to convert any of them to LED for less than half price of a new LED light and they're tough as heck. You can run over it with a fire truck and it will work..my friend did! Try that with your other LED's. A few things are worth buying: Maglights and Zippo lighters are warrantied forever. Gerber makes good knives, especially if you can get a USA made one. Ruger makes good firearms. Any company that makes good products is worth standing behind, especially supporting BUY AMERICAN and keep AMERICANS working.
    I've never had to try the warranty. 3 out of 4 of my C and D Mag's crapped out on me, and it didn't seem worth messing with sending 'em back. But the 3-D model still works as well as it did back in the 80's. For durability I can't imagine much better than my Surefire lights. Yeah, they're pretty expensive but to me worth the cost.

Now none of this is meant to contradict the previous posters. If your Mag works great, I sure can't imagine tossing it. For my purposes D cells aren't ideal, but they may be fine for someone else. AA/AAA cells are cheaper and a lot easier to find (for me). My preferred battery is the CR123A; it's not available in every gas station but not hard to find if you have a Wal-Mart. And I generally buy them in bulk online.

I say keep them, I mean what are you really going to do with them otherwise?

However, I can see why Mag is dying as a brand, they were once the go to for LE customers until A) departments started banning them (ie LAPD) and B) cops realized that with modern technology then didn't have to lug around a 4 D cell behemoth to get a decent amount of illumination. The proliferation of LEDs has really hurt Mag badly and they were WAY behind the eight ball on developing their own models be it upgrade or OEM. Companies like Streamlight have really cut into their target market.

I think MJB_17 hits it on the head- no reason to get rid of one that works but no reason to ever buy one now. At one time circa 1985 they were one of the only good flashlights you could find. The problem is, they didn't evolve much since the 80's. As the competition pioneered LED and regulated circuitry Mag just get cranking out the same old stuff. Now who even knows their name except old timers? Flashlight geeks want better and those who simply need a good light have moved on.

don't keep them, give them to me
    “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!” Luke 22:36 (NLT)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links