Are old Maglites worth keeping? - Page 4

Are old Maglites worth keeping?

This is a discussion on Are old Maglites worth keeping? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't think they're worth keeping, myself. Though, some of the unique models that are getting rarer can command a healthy premium amongst fans. Hard ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Are old Maglites worth keeping?

I don't think they're worth keeping, myself. Though, some of the unique models that are getting rarer can command a healthy premium amongst fans.

Hard to argue with the "social training aid" aspects, but IMO, at least in terms of practical usage, it's worth carrying more-compact and brighter lighting. Plenty of options, these days.

My preference: a durable drop-in LED in the ~200-250 lumens range (such as the Malkoff M61W), in a SolarForce L2 18650 tube, with a 1x18650 Li-Ion 2900mA+ cell (such as the AW 2900 18650). Plenty stout for rapping the knuckles of an assailant, but small enough to easily carry.

This combination isn't waterproof, and it won't last 10hrs, but the beam is incredible, it's durable to the point of being silly, and it's relatively inexpensive (under $100). Cycle your batteries, and it'll last practically forever. Versions of the M61W LED exist that have far lower power draw, for longer-lasting usage [ie, during weeks-long camping excursions], such as the M61WL and M61WLL.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Taped one to my snow shovel.......now I can see when I'm shoveling at night.

I have 3 of them, 2/ 2-D cell and one 4-D cell. In the 80's most guys on the force carried one and used them as a light and a baton. The old joke was that the perp would see a bright light right before the lights went out. I would keep it, might be worth something some day.
    msgt/ret likes this.

I have one that I modified with a high intensity incandescant bulb and an eyebolt screwed into the end cap. I carry it in my gear and abuse it. I've broken windows with it, carried it into plenty of real and training fires, and generally beat it up. I never ran it over with a fire truck, but it did fall off the back of one once. I did have to seal the hole I drilled in the end cap with a piece of rubber, but that's all.

I always thought the 3 C cell lights were the best for use as weapons. They fit the hand better than the D.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    Taped one to my snow shovel.......now I can see when I'm shoveling at night.
    Clever! I mean, there ARE those times when the outside floods are down due to a power outage (which happens during snowstorms). When you need a Tactical Snow Shovel nothing else will do! I know my wife's gonna make fun of me, but I'm doin' it.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    We lost power for 10 days back in 2002 due to an ice storm. From that time, I have firmly believed you can never have too many flashlights. We burnt every candle (even the "good" ones that my wife used for decoration) in the house and used up all of our batteries by the time we got power back. It sucks to leave everybody else in the dark to take the last working flashlight so you can see your way to the bathroom.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links