Are old Maglites worth keeping?

This is a discussion on Are old Maglites worth keeping? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am going through my stuff and purging. I found some old D cell and C cell Maglites. They seem like such dinosaurs now with ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Are old Maglites worth keeping?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Are old Maglites worth keeping?

I am going through my stuff and purging. I found some old D cell and C cell Maglites. They seem like such dinosaurs now with the advent of high intensity LEDs. Are they even worth keeping?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Why not, if it comes down to it a three or four D cell Maglight does make a very good social training aid.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I personally don't think they're worth it. I had four of the larger Mag-Lite D cell flashlights ranging from 2D up to 4D cells. All of the crapped out in short order except one of the three cell ones. I recently ran across that light after years of it being misplaced. Since I hadn't used it in ages the batteries were toast which brings me to the first problem- D cells are outrageously expensive! I hated to buy enough to test the light out since I wasn't even sure it would still work, but I bit the bullet and bought new batteries. That brings me to the second issue- it's simply not a very bright light. At least not by modern standards. I have several LED lights that run on 1 x AAA that put out at least as much light with a better beam. The focus of those old light is basically crap. There are tons of artifacts, rings, splotches and dark spots, at least on all of mine.

I also just don't have much use for incandescent bulbs anymore. I've had them burn out or break on me at the most inopportune times. About a decade ago I had one along on my trip to a remote Canadian fishing camp (lot a mag, btw). I took it with me out to find the outhouse on a dark moonless night. On the way back the bulb burned out a few steps out the door! I had to grope my way through the dark, listening for the paw-falls of the bears I was just sure where out there waiting for me! I didn't have a spare along and the high pressure Xenon bulb replacement ended up costing me $12 (for a light that cost $35).

Now I strictly roll LED-style. They're very bright, long running and nearly indestructible. They also weight a fraction as much as the Mag and are much smaller. If you gotta drag around the ol' dinosaur at least look into an LED bulb replacement for it.

You can buy LED upgrades for them, if you just like Maglites - about $10. You might prefer just to invest in newer gear instead.
    I love my Maglites, but I haven't "upgraded" any of my oldies. I did have 2 old, and 2 LED, but I think I lost one in the divorce - an LED one of course - haven't seen it since I left. The old ones are 10 years old, one I sent back to be refurbished after a bad fishing trip - lifetime warranty ya know - they gave me 2 new bulbs for free (that was before postage went through the roof).

I like 'em. Big = harder to loose. Those mini Double/Tripple-A ones are ALWAYS missing!!!! And I can hit things with them, which I find handy.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

I use mine all the time. Next to open carry, it is the most effective thin out there.

The upgrade is also a great option. In another thread someone posted a link to LED replacement bulbs that had higher output than the new LED maglites. I ordered one for 8. I figure with that kind of power and a slow draw from the LED, it will be a great flashlight.

...being water resistant with the Orings...maybe for medicine storage...the C sizes are good for clubs...I find the D too fat for a good grip...I often carry a 4-5 C size Mag where guns are not allowed and when I stood unarmed security posts...
    ...I've given all of mine to youngsters 7-11 years old...and now their Daddies ar cursing me when they buy batteries...all of mine are LED and use AAA...

Lead Moderator
    If they still work I'd keep them. Never know when an extra light will come in handy.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I think I have too much of my grandmother in me. She raised a bucket load of kids through the Great Depression, and tossing a perfectly good, functioning, well-made, never-say-die device like a nice solid Mag Lite would never occur to her .... or me.

What the heck: if it works, it certainly doesn't hurt to keep it.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Re: Are old Maglites worth keeping?

Those lights will prove handy in an emp strike. I keep one in the vehicles. But i do keep a double a light in my pocket.

-Jason

I'd keep them. Their Tubes can prove useful if anything in a survival scenario.
    sauerpuss and Spade115 like this.
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I converted my mini's to LED. They are nothing like my LED tactical lights but they last longer than the incandescent bulbs of old. I still have the 3 and 4 "D" cell lights that I keep in my truck, camper and ATV. As long as they still work, I plan to keep them.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

I have plenty of LED lights. Which are great. But halogen still has a purpose. The warm tones can offer better visibility in a variety of situations. I got a new maglite for christmas last year. Personally, I wouldn't trade it for another LED light.

ya, I actually don't like how some cheaper LED's have that blue tint to them. YOu really can't see to well at night with them certain things.
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Why not, if it comes down to it a three or four D cell Maglight does make a very good social training aid.
    I've always kept a 4 D Cell Maglight fastened to the drivers side floor board of my vehicles for this reason.

I personally would keep them mainly for two reasons.

1. Being if functional they are already owned so good to have by a door incase you go out at night and need a blunt object to defend yourself or in the pick up.

2. If broken I would save the head because a few friends have converted them into tail lights for a motorcycle.
    sauerpuss likes this.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links