Lighting

This is a discussion on Lighting within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone have a flashlight mounted to their gun. I'm looking for input such as pros and cons on this subject. I keep a flashlight ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By mbguy29577
  • 1 Post By slidewayz240
  • 1 Post By Rcher
  • 1 Post By Easy8
  • 1 Post By kapnketel
  • 1 Post By slidewayz240

Thread: Lighting

Cool Lighting

Does anyone have a flashlight mounted to their gun. I'm looking for input such as pros and cons on this subject. I keep a flashlight with me at all times. I work a 2nd shift and I get home after 1am and when I step out of my car the light is in my left hand and my right hand is free to grab my weapon (if needed) or to use keys to unlock my door. In one way I like the idea of having my weapon and my light in one hand and having a free hand, but in another way I'm not sure that I want to use my weapon as a flashlight. I'm thinking this over and I would like some input from you guys and gals.
    Thank You

2. Remove Ads

I am more of a minimalist. I like things simple. No lasers or lights for me. Just want to focus of aim and shoot.
    MatthewF likes this.
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

I have a surefire mini scout on my rifle, my handguns do not have any but I keep a surefire G2 as my "bedside" light next to my handgun though.
    MatthewF likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I have often wondered the same thing. The only firearm I have with a rail or light attachment is my AR. It's charged and ready for use but I cannot see using it in my small home space for HD. I have been shopping for a HD handgun with a rail strictly for the purpose of HD and clearing my house/yard. I have several hand held tactical flashlights that I currently use but also see the sensible need for an "all-in-one" firearm. My current EDC pistol is a 1911 with meprolight night sights and a laser but still feel the need to carry a weak hand flashlight. I dont care if I sweep the whole inside of my house with a loaded handgun but outside is a different story. Inside, it's just my wife and I. A light also gives away your presence.

I dont want a light on my EDC, I think the holsters are too big and there's too many edges to get hung up on other stuff. I also dont want to point a firearm at anything I dont intend to shoot. I'm anxious to hear what others have to say.
    MatthewF likes this.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

I have a glock light on my g17 4th gen but I keep a streamlight next to bed I hear many pros an cons to it just not sure myself. I lived in GA for awhile had very large back yard that bordered on woods the light was handy than for coyotes an critters but for bad guys not sure.
    MatthewF likes this.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    When at home, I keep a TLR2 on my wife's FNP 40, and a weapon light on my AR with a tape switch on the VFG. We also keep a couple of Surefire lights on each of our bed stands. When I travel I always carry a flashlight for use in my hotel room.
    MatthewF likes this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    I have often wondered the same thing. The only firearm I have with a rail or light attachment is my AR. It's charged and ready for use but I cannot see using it in my small home space for HD. I have been shopping for a HD handgun with a rail strictly for the purpose of HD and clearing my house/yard. I have several hand held tactical flashlights that I currently use but also see the sensible need for an "all-in-one" firearm. My current EDC pistol is a 1911 with meprolight night sights and a laser but still feel the need to carry a weak hand flashlight. I dont care if I sweep the whole inside of my house with a loaded handgun but outside is a different story. Inside, it's just my wife and I. A light also gives away your presence.

I dont want a light on my EDC, I think the holsters are too big and there's too many edges to get hung up on other stuff. I also dont want to point a firearm at anything I dont intend to shoot. I'm anxious to hear what others have to say.
    Keep a light to be able to identify your target. If you are hesitant about a light I highly recommend you find/ take a low light defensive pistol course. I keep the lights nearby as several friends have keys to my house but at the same time they know the SOP when they enter the home. If I call out there names twice and they do not answer or if they do not make there presence known, its game on.
    MatthewF likes this.

Links