Getting started with steel targets--Any Advice?

This is a discussion on Getting started with steel targets--Any Advice? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, after watching numerous hickock45 videos, I've decided I need to start getting some steel targets. I used to shoot steel all the time years ...

Thread: Getting started with steel targets--Any Advice?

Sponsor

Getting started with steel targets--Any Advice?

So, after watching numerous hickock45 videos, I've decided I need to start getting some steel targets. I used to shoot steel all the time years ago, and even if the targets aren't very reactive (ex. a steel plate hung on a post), it still a heck of a lot of fun.

So initially I'm looking for simple targets that are inexpensive but give the fun of shooting steel. I've been looking at the steel targets from Widener's here Widener's Reloading and Shooting Supply INC

What do you think? Good price? Do you have a favorite place to buy steel targets?

Thanks!
    Clay

2. Remove Ads

Steel

My best advice is to buy the best quality that you can. Our department started with some home made ones and the splash back and other problems were not worth what we thought we saved.

may be cheaper to make your own.
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

I have about 20 plates for my home range, all in AR 500 except for 1 (Which I regret). Get the hardest steel you can afford, such as AR500. Once your steel is cratered or dimpled, itís no longer safe to shoot at close distances as youíll get splash and bounce-back. Iíve had my targets for a little over 5 years, 1000s of rounds and all are in great shape. I once had a friend cut loose on one of my silhouettes with 5.56 at about 75í and it only dimpled the steel. I now use it for a 200-500 yard target. This is one of those buy once, cry once IF you get quality type deals.

Two companies Iíve bought from are:

Arntzen Targets

and

Quality Targets

The owner of quality targets is a great guy and will make you whatever you want, and his prices and shipping are very reasonable. He made me a set of AR500 bowling pins, and a couple squirrels and bunnies for my boy to knock down. All of my IDPA targets are from Arntzen, and I really like their portable folding stands.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

I have a few targets from Bobcat steel that have been shot with everything from 22 lr to to 45 acp with no ill effects
    ĒGod grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.Ē
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Links