Lasermax reliability?

This is a discussion on Lasermax reliability? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am considering getting a Lasermax guide rod laser for my Glock 19. Pricey, but not absurdly so, at least for the functionality. My problem/ ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By QKShooter
  • 1 Post By TenRing12
  • 1 Post By liquid150
  • 1 Post By liquid150

Thread: Lasermax reliability?

Lasermax reliability?

I am considering getting a Lasermax guide rod laser for my Glock 19. Pricey, but not absurdly so, at least for the functionality.

My problem/ question is about their reliability. I am hesitant to mess with the moving parts of a firearm. I also do not want to spend $300 only to have to replace the whole unit if the spring wears out. It is definitely an expensive proposition when you can get a standard spring in the lower double digits. Furthermore, I am concerned that using it could decrease the performance of the firearm.

This isn't a question about lasers in general. I plan to practice with the iron sights and very, very rarely turn on the laser. I wont rely on it, and I know the applications where it may be useful. I just want to know how reliable they are.

If it matters, I tend to average about 100 practice rounds a month in my Glock.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I struggled with the same decision.

I decided to just go with Trijicon tritium night sights and forego the Lasermax. The engineer in me abhors moving parts and deviations in a proven design. I'm not even remotely suggesting that there is a problem with the Lasermax product, but I'll take the comfort of known reliability vs. potentially trading that for additional functionality.

Re: Lasermax reliability?

Indeed, I am no engineer, but not entirely technically inept.

I have looked at Crimson Trace, but I have an issue with it. First, my firearm feels like it was made for my hand without any modifications. I am concerned the addition of the CT would confound that a bit. I don't have the luxury of just trying one to see how it feels, either, unfortunately.

One fear has been allayed, Lasermax sells replacement recoil springs for about $10.00. I could do that no problem. It does nothing to address my performance concerns, though.

I think I will try to find the review that compared the Crimson Trace grip difference to one of the grip adapters. Then I will see how that feels. I really am concerned about using a laser as an internal component. I would rather not have that on my mind when I am carrying. I bought a Glock for reliability, and I'm not going to do something to compromise that.

I was debating between the CT grip for my M&P 40c and the Lasermax and I ended up with the CT grip due to the same concerns you have about reliability, and an added bonus with the Crimson Trace was the activation button was activated with my natural grip. But I completely agree with you about never relying on the laser and always continue to practice with the iron sights and point and shoot method.

Administrator
    All of the LaserMax parts meet or exceed GLOCK factory specs/quality. Just FYI.
    liquid150 likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I can completely understand WHEC724's statement that the engineer in him "abhors moving parts and deviations in a proven design." This is a very sensible concern. Since I have worked in the gun business for a very long time and have intimate knowledge of how LaserMax does things, I would like to share some insight that will hopefully allay your concerns about the Guide Rod Laser.

First, every LaserMax model is a custom design for the specific firearm. Before the real work even begins, LaserMax engineers have reverse engineered the firearm so that they understand all the nuances of the internal mechanics. They use this knowledge to make whatever refinements are needed to the proven Guide Rod Laser design for the particular firearm model. After prototypes are produced, they undergo extensive testing. LaserMax's testing protocol actually exceeds the testing that many gun manufacturers deem necessary. So that a true comparison can be made, the pistol (with original factory parts) is tested alongside the LaserMax-equipped pistol until they both fail. LaserMax simply will not release a Guide Rod Laser until it meets or exceeds the performance of the factory pistol. The Guide Rod Laser for the Glock has been out since the early 90's and there has never been a recall or safety issue. But perhaps the most powerful endorsement is that most of the Glock sales reps have LaserMax in their personal sidearms.

I have had the LaserMax in my Glock 17 since 2004 and have experienced zero issues. The sight doesn't interfere with my holster and I know it is there when I need it. I do not care for the Glock lasers offered by Crimson Trace and I would definitely not wish to have my laser come on automatically whenever I grip my pistol.

I hope this helps!
    liquid150 likes this.

My understanding is that the CT for my model, the G19 Gen 4, has an override switch allowing the user to turn it off completely, disabling the auto-on when desired.

I may be wrong, and if so I would appreciate being corrected.

Thank you very much for both of the above posts. I have read horror stories of the LM breaking inside the gun, making it impossible to field dress and fix. Of course, all of the horror stories could stem from people improperly placing the part, causing excessive stress. They obviously won't own up to that mistake, either.

I will definitely continue my research. Ibdo like the idea of an optional automatic activation on the CT, but if that is inaccurate and it is always on I will not want that option.

Further comments and opinions will be appreciated. I am glad to hear that Lasermax has such high standards. Part of me was concerned because the photos of the springs make them look less sturdy than the standard glock springs, but that could be an illusion.
    TenRing12 likes this.

The CTC does have a master on/on switch* that you can use if you want to take the laser completely out of the equation, but the location of that switch is such that you would NOT want to be messing with it in a defensive scenario. I really don't have much of an issue with the way the CTC laser feels on the gun. The problem for me is more cerebral. If an intruder enters my home at night, I want to control as many variables as possible and I am already at a gross disadvantage. First, I am caught off guard (presumably woken from a sound sleep), while the intruder knows exactly what he is doing. Second, his eyes have already adjusted to the darkness, mine have not. My kids are asleep and I have no idea where he is in the house. If I make ready with a CTC-equipped pistol, my normal shooting grip will turn the laser on. The LASTthing I want to do is give away my position and compromise the concealment of my location.

Off-topic: Last night I watched the movie "Death Sentence" (with Kevin Bacon) for the first time. Not a good movie for me to watch!! I was driving my kids absolutely crazy with my vocal outbursts! What they don't get is that, as a parent, I see protecting my kids as my chief responsibility. I think about the logistics of defending my home all the time and feel really passionately about maintaining this sense of "combat readiness."

You're right that people frequently want to blame user error on something else, especially when it is their own negligence that leads to property damage or worse. As an example, we have all seen the horrifying scenes that result from the improper use of ammo, whether it is the wrong caliber, a squib load or what have you. The fact is that incorrect reassembly of a Glock can cause a malfunction, whether it is a factory Glock or a LaserMax-equipped Glock. There is a right and a wrong way to do everything and a person doesn't know how to field strip and reassemble their gun, they shouldn't be counting on it.

FYI: Both Glock and LaserMax use genuine Wolff recoil springs. Incidentally, so do Kimber, Beretta, Sig Sauer, etc. They are the best in the industry. Wolff Semi-Automatic Pistol Springs - Magazines, Recoils, Hammers, Firing Pins & More

*for use when the pistol is being transported or in storage, etc.

I figured I would probably turn the CT off at bed time and at the range, but keep it on when carrying during the day/evening. I have some new information to consider, though. Thanks a lot.
    TenRing12 likes this.

Links