Looking for snap caps to practice clearing malfunctions, what are some good ones?

Looking for snap caps to practice clearing malfunctions, what are some good ones?

This is a discussion on Looking for snap caps to practice clearing malfunctions, what are some good ones? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for snap caps aka dummy rounds to practice and teach the wife how to clear malfunctions properly. I know there are some really bad ...

Looking for snap caps aka dummy rounds to practice and teach the wife how to clear malfunctions properly. I know there are some really bad choices out there that can leave debris in your firearm so thought I'd ask you guys and gals if you know of any decent quality dummy rounds that won't leave shavings behind in our firearms. I was looking at Opsgear.com they have the orange "Saf-T Practice Rounds" but they are on backorder right now. We were hoping to get some 380 and 40 calibers.

Thanks for the help

Distinguished Member
    I use the A-Zoom snap caps in several calibers... no problems with them.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

RKM
    I use A-zoom as well. I do use them to train and run malfunction drills. But also reload drills too.

A-Zoom works well.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I've heard a lot of negative reviews about the A-Zoom's, people claim they leave paint and metal shaving in the firearm? Do you guys find this not to be true with your experience? How long have you used them? Do they appear to be chipped and worn?

Thanks for the replies.

Distinguished Member
    I've been using A zoom snap caps for years. I've had no issues.

Found this thread a day late, just ordered a pack of A-Zoom 40S&W Precision Snap Caps (5 pack) yesterday. They had mixed reviews on Amazon but for $13.75 delivered I thought I would try them. Glad to hear that anyone that has used them seems to like them.

I have A-Zoom in 12 Gauge and they get tore up.Just like others said in reviews I noticed the edges getting chipped up after only a few times cycling.
    When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarzNgunz View Post
    I've heard a lot of negative reviews about the A-Zoom's, people claim they leave paint and metal shaving in the firearm? Do you guys find this not to be true with your experience? How long have you used them? Do they appear to be chipped and worn?

Thanks for the replies.
    Yeah the get scratched and the paint wears off but it has never had been a problem to the extent it does any harm to the weapon. A-Zoom = A+.

Have the same - use them quite a bit and have never had a problem with them. Of course, I've only had them for a month or two, but I've used them a whole WHOLE lot, so....

I use A-Zoom, a little paint scratches off, but if you look at the lips on the magazines, and consider how the bullets/snap caps load into the magazine and then ripped off the top and pushed into the chamber, it should be expected that the coating will wear. It is no big deal.

I will go back to A-Zoom in a heart beat. Picked up some this week for my wifes new .380.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

+1 on A-zoom, use them both for my .357 revolver and G27. No issues so far.

what they ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ said.

I use A-Zooms too for my .45 and .308, and I do notice they get chewed up a bit but I clean my gun a lot so I guess I don't worry about it too much.

However, I also use ST Action Pro. I got those for my 9 mm and I think those are nicer than the A-Zooms. Just my 2 cents.

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Links