Dash cam

This is a discussion on Dash cam within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ever since some Russian videoed the meteorite from his dash cam, I have been thinking about it. There are some cheapo models, but I always ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Dash cam

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Dash cam

Ever since some Russian videoed the meteorite from his dash cam, I have been thinking about it. There are some cheapo models, but I always like to be able to use things for more than one purpose.

I came across the Contour ROAM2 Video Camera

81O1Nwu8O4L._SL1500_.jpg

and it has a Picatinny mount

41rprVIlOhL._AA300_.jpg

Anyone ever use one of these things as either a dash cam or gun camera?
    Attached Images
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Some things are best left unfilmed.
    GaryB likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NCSoxFan View Post
    Some things are best left unfilmed.
    Generally, I very much agree. An exception would be Russian car/truck follies...

I use a Contour for action sports. It honestly would be more trouble than its worth to use it as a dash cam. Anything at larger distances is washed out. Though the picture looks pretty good 50 yds and under.

I was at best buy they have a display set up with a new camera it is about 1.5 " square it was meant for cyclists but everyone is using for dashcam its awesome waterproof also it was only 179.00 I think

Hmm.. I do see some pretty interesting things while driving..
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I've had a GoPro (http://gopro.com/products/?gclid=CJn...FQyEnQodKx8Aow) for several years and have used it for everything from motorcycling to parasailing.

Here's some of my bike videos...nothing exceptionally exciting: KTM SMC - YouTube

You might get a kick out of this though...
    PEF likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I live in California and the recording of conversations is a sticky wicket. Do these cameras have the ability to turn the sound off? Must be low light capable because illumination causes a glare on the windshield. I think it might be something good to have. Interested in what you decide on.
    Bill

Bill

I'm really tempted to buy one myself. That meteor incident in Russia was caught on hundreds of dash cams, mainly since almost everyone in Russia has one since their police are notoriously corrupt and insurance scams are rampant. NBC Nightly News had a rather amusing story on this last week, they had a montage of the weirdest Russian dash cam clips including a truck full of live cattle overturning and someone driving along a snowy road and then having a T-80 tank suddenly cross the road.

I do a lot of Adventure Motorcyle Riding all over the Country and I use this one!
    Epic D1 Adventure Camera
    It's small, mounts to my helmet, fairing or truck dash real easy.
    I've been caught in a Hail Storm in Montana on my motorcycle with it on recording, and got some amazing pictures from it while trying to ride off the Mountain in the sleet, hail and snow!
    It takes good pictures and I have the underwater case for it good to about to about 4 meters underwater IIRC!
    Sound quality is good, and it is easy to operate with gloves on while moving! But that's only when it's mouinted to my fairing where I can see the buttons! It's a great small package and I use a 16 GB micro chip inside it and just download straight to my computer without any cords!
    Clips on to the camera bracket I have velcroed to my helmet real easy!
    And I'v e got a piece of velcro on my pickup dash so I can grab it to film something interesting, like dumb drivers!
    Especially drunks and car wrecks!
    I like it because it's smaller than the Go Pro and isn't so obvious when it's on the side of my helmet!
    What have you done to prepare for the end of civilization as we know it?

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I have one mounted on my rearview mirror of my car and it does get most police officers attention when I have been stopped but not much they can do about it.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

VIP Member
    I have a Witness app for my iPhone which I think has great features for the dash cam job other than. Drain of battery life on a long trip plus timed camera event, no real mounting bracket (homemade may equal vibration), and vehicle really needs bluetooth so you could answer a phone call without disturbing the camera's functioning.

BTW does any of the aforementioned camera recommendations have the option for a time/date stamp?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I own a parts, accessories and apparel company as well as race motocross.I have used and sold all of the helmet/dash cams on the market. The best for the money right now is Liquid image EGO and Go-pro. They have the best color rendering and overall image, and image stabelization. Though they don't have picatinny mount only Contour makes that one. The liquid Image has the best picture quality and has built in WIFI. You can record while viewing on your smartphone or Ipad. Use it to catch which dog is getting into the trash, or children screaming at eachother "will you stop touching me".The liquid Image also accepts all Go-Pro mounts. The Go-Pro is great too but it will cost you a little more. The go pro has to be in a clear case to be mounted and the Liquid Image is waterproof to 10 feet without any case so the sound quality is much much better with the Liquid Image. Well there ya go, you choose, lol. This is how we use em
    https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...43105220_n.jpg
    ExactlyMyPoint likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Videos and audio recordings are evidence that can work both ways. From what I've researched, in Fl consent is only required where the other party has a "reasonable" expectation of privacy. On the roadside of a public highway would not be grounds for reasonable privacy or else all LEO dash cams would have to be turned off unless you give consent.
    Last edited by OldVet; February 26th, 2013 at 02:34 PM.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

If you want quality, you could do something like this with a camcorder. A camcorder will be of much better quality than those small cameras. Something like this:

(not my car, but similar setup)

Or you can buy the ones cop use, they sell them on Galls.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links