Belt sizing for IWB.....

Belt sizing for IWB.....

This is a discussion on Belt sizing for IWB..... within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Going to order my belt for my IWB holster and need to know if I should go up another size? My waist is a 34 ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jdunn217

Thread: Belt sizing for IWB.....

Belt sizing for IWB.....

Going to order my belt for my IWB holster and need to know if I should go up another size? My waist is a 34 but I wear a 36 belt and the belts i've been looking at run at a Large 36-38 and Extra Large 38-42. Do y'all suggest that I go up to an Extra Large or stay with a Large?

Depends on the belt maker and how the sizing for that given belt design works.

On a Kramer and several BeltMan belts, basically it's been add a couple inches to the measurement, and go with that. It's worked fairly well, for accommodating IWB carry of mid-sized and larger holstered guns plus spare magazine carriers, at least on me. Can't speak for other makers.

I'd suggest checking with the maker's sizing instructions, specifically. If you can't find one on the web site, call the maker to confirm.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

What did their website say about sizing? Ask them your question(s).

What I am familiar with is that the dimension that you give the belt maker is the measurement to the center hole. Add 2" for your IWB holster/gun to the hole you wear your current belt in.

That having been said, pay attention to how many holes the belt has and where you will wear the belt with and without the gun. I have a DeSantis Speed Sabbord holster, OWB, that I wear too and it doesn't add to the hole count on my belt - I wear the belt in the same hole with the OWB holster and no gun at all = 2 holes (2") down from my IWB holster. If I had to do it over again I would have ordered the belt an inch or two shorter = a bigger hole with the gun and it would leave me more adjustability without the gun.

If you are buying a thick, stiff gun belt I would advise ordering it atleast 1 inch longer than your normal belt.

I wear size 32 pants and I ordered a leather gunbelt from a local gunbelt maker, I ordered it to be 34" to the middle hole. Well I got the belt middle of last week and I could barely get the belt on! With no gun or holster IWB I had to use the last hole on the belt. I compared it to my other 34" belt and theyre identical in length. I returned it for a size 36, jury is still out on that. I guess a thicker belt doesnt form to your body like a thin flexible belt does so you need extra length, maybe that only applies to skinny, or boney guys. Who knows.

I would personally go with the extra large. Obviously how thick the belt is and how you primarily carry are deciding factors on sizing. I wear size 36 pants that fit a little loose(so maybe technically I'm a 35 waist). I have a quarter inch thick size 40 belt(bullhide belts) and I am in the middle of the seven holes that are on my belt when I fasten it. I carry a fat glock IWB lol. Originally I ordered a size 38 from them and I could barely get it fastened to the 2nd hole.
    jbird likes this.

Links