Small safes

Small safes

This is a discussion on Small safes within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wasn't sure where to put this, so if the moderators see it fit in another forum go ahead and move it. My SUV doesn't ...

Thread: Small safes

Small safes

I wasn't sure where to put this, so if the moderators see it fit in another forum go ahead and move it.

My SUV doesn't have any good hiding spots, other than the glove box, so I picked up a GunVault NV-300. What are everyone's thoughts on these? It seems like just what I need for my purposes. However, I am not real convinced of the security of it. The only place I can put it in the SUV is under one of the front seats - and that is visible from the rear windows. If someone saw that under one of the seats with the cable around it that would be a dead give-away that there is "something" in there that would be of value. That brings up another concern - the cable itself. Does anyone know how easy the cables are to cut through? If someone had a decent pair of bolt cutters would that get through the cable? How about back to basics - the whole front (side the lock is on) is "open", as opposed to the long sides being blocked off where the lid overlaps. This seems like an invitation to a pry bar or a nail puller on a framing hammer. The lock latch itself is just a plate with a hook on it.

My overall question is - how good are these safes? Are there any other better options out there?

Another question is airline travel. All the nano vaults meet TSA guidelines. I see none of the micro or mini vaults are labeled that way. Why wouldn't one of the bigger/better built units meet the requirements?

Does anyone have any good ideas for hotel security when traveling? It seems the cable method is about what everyone does with the small vaults. It just seems to me too easy to cut the cable and save the goods for digging in to later.

Tinted windows will help. the biogunvault works well very slim will go under most seats can be bolted down. I am not a fan of leaving a gun in any vehicle, but sometimes we have no choice glad to see your addressing the issue.

Geeze louise....open a can of worms why doncha!! I have enough trouble getting my regular gun safe open when I am mellow let alone under any type of stress.

Part of my civil disobedience includes boycotting commercial air travel in general and those TSA people in particular.

I have no knowledge of those tiny handgun safes. If it can't hold at least 2 to 4 guns I'm moving on. Also I just flat don't trust the locks most of them have.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

You know, I never considered the visibility issue in the SUV until recently. My other vehicle is a crew cab F350 truck and there's loads of storage space in it. The big pluses are that both sides of the split rear bench and the center console all LOCK with key. I came across this console safe: Ford F250/F350 Super Duty Floor Console: 2011 - 2013. I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet, but I like the idea of it a lot. The SUV is an all together different animal.

The idea of a vehicle safe, and one to take when traveling, is to have a place to put my gun when I can't take it with me somewhere (if I stop by a government building, or similar, somewhere, for example). There are very few places I'd go with my gun behind, but it does happen.

I hate to leave a gun in my truck for any length of time, but on occasion, I have had to do so.
    I simple use a Center of Mass safe and hide it where it cannot be seen...someone breaking in would not think to look there.
    I would definitely get a full size truck for my next vehicle...one with a console safe availability...that looks great!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I advise everyone that I know, Not to leave any weapon in their vehicle, but anyone who has been carrying for a while will tell you that sometimes it is unavoidable. Although its very seldom, this is what I do. I have a cable that's rated at 1500 lbs of pull weight that is looped on both ends. One end is attached to the bottom of the seatbelt bolt with the seatbelt acting as a giant washer on top. I take the other end of the cable and slide it through a small slit in the side/bottom of a McDonalds bag, pull the cable through and put the looped end through the trigger guard of my weapon and then lock it back to the main wire. Pull the bag over the weapon roll up the top of the bag and hide the extra cable under the seat and leave the bag in plain view close to the seat. Looks like garbage on the floor. Hardly something worth stealing. So far so good. I've never had anyone break in to get those french fries that you find in the bottom of the bag.

I like using my Nanovault when I can't carry (which isn't very often). I have two of the keyed versions (same key in both cars) and a roll-dial version.

I would not trust these safes, or the cables they come with, to provide any real protection against a determined thief. Mostly, I like the peace of mind that it might thwart the average 10 second smash-n-grab.

Mine are cabled to the seat rails, and run into my center console. Nor the safe, or the cables that tether them, can be seen from the outside.

Also, when my gun is not residing in the safe, I make a point to leave it unlocked and open.

That way, if someone were to break into my car, they would see the empty safe and (hopefully) not tear up my car (anymore anyways) trying to get my safe out.

Check out carryvault.com. Their safe can be locked to its base, and you can get extra bases to switch to another vehicle, or at home.
    Unfortunately, when I went to the site tonight, it was being "remodeled".
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------ George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Get a medium sized black or brown towel and cover the safe under the front seat so it cannot be seen. I have a large black towel that covers my storage box in the back of my SUV. You cannot see what is there thru the tinted windows and it all but disappears. Nothing seen is nothing wanted by the BG and they go to the next car/truck.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Try talking to a company that installs custom audio equipment. They often make odd sized boxes that match the interior of different vehicles to hold speakers and amplfiers for sound systems. Usually they have carpet that matches the factory carpet too. My wife has a (reasonably sized) speaker on one side of her trunk, and on the other side is a box about the same size that is covered with matching carpet to the trunk and has a label that says "jack storage" Behind that is a hidden lock that opens it. It looks totally factory. My hatchback (a Pontiac Vibe) has a 4 inch deep compartment that fits over the spare tire storage well and is covered by the factory rug. It is invisible from outside the car and is big enough for my trauma bag, an AR, and some assorted supplies (road flares, traffic vests, etc)
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Sponsored Links