What Trijicon night sights are best?

This is a discussion on What Trijicon night sights are best? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking at getting some night sights for my M&P 40c and a M&P full size 9mm. I'm new to the night sight thing and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: What Trijicon night sights are best?

What Trijicon night sights are best?

I'm looking at getting some night sights for my M&P 40c and a M&P full size 9mm. I'm new to the night sight thing and not sure what would be my best option. The 40c is my everyday carry self defense weapon and the FS 9mm is my mother in laws home defense pistol. I noticed Trijicon makes their HD model and a model called Bright & Tough not sure what the difference is. What model would be best for our pistols? And also any recommendation on color variations as far as 3 dot all green or rear yellow front green or orange and green etc? Again I'm new to this and have never shot a pistol with night sights so your input would be greatly appreciated. Also are there any other brands we should consider? I was told by many people that Trijicon are the best that's why we were thinking of going with them.

2. Remove Ads

I am also considering Trijicons for my pistols and cannot decide between the Bright & Tough or the HD. From what I have learned, the HD have smaller trijicon vials in the rear sight in order to pull attention to the front sight. It also looks like the rear sight on the HD is "U" shaped rather than the squared OEM sights. Can someone help with information about how a larger "U" shaped slot will effect accuracy in the daylight as well as at night?
    guitarzNgunz likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    I am also considering Trijicons for my pistols and cannot decide between the Bright & Tough or the HD. From what I have learned, the HD have smaller trijicon vials in the rear sight in order to pull attention to the front sight. It also looks like the rear sight on the HD is "U" shaped rather than the squared OEM sights. Can someone help with information about how a larger "U" shaped slot will effect accuracy in the daylight as well as at night?
    I see, that helps a lot I didn't know the HD's had Tritium vials in the rear sights. I can kinda imagine why they would make the HD's a U shape perhaps to accommodate the larger circular front sight? I kinda like the idea of the larger front sight, we were also considering the XS big dot's because of this fact. I too would like to know the benefits of the two and which would be better for daylight/night and if one is more durable and or lasts longer than the other.

Thanks for the reply

I have Trijicons on my M&P Pro Series, not sure of the specific model but they are all green tritium. They are very solidly built and glow well at night. Unfortunately, they aren't the greatest during the day. I have been looking at getting some kind of night sights for my new M&P9c, I am not going to get the same Trijicons due to the poor daytime visibility and their cost ($189). I'm thinking of going with the Truglo TFOs, they combine tritium lit night sights with fiber optic tubes for day use. If you watch the youtube videos from TNOutdoors9 (the ammo test guy), he has them on his Glock 19 in the more recent videos.

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    I have Trijicons on my M&P Pro Series, not sure of the specific model but they are all green tritium. They are very solidly built and glow well at night. Unfortunately, they aren't the greatest during the day. I have been looking at getting some kind of night sights for my new M&P9c, I am not going to get the same Trijicons due to the poor daytime visibility and their cost ($189). I'm thinking of going with the Truglo TFOs, they combine tritium lit night sights with fiber optic tubes for day use. If you watch the youtube videos from TNOutdoors9 (the ammo test guy), he has them on his Glock 19 in the more recent videos.
    I too have been considering the TruGlo TFO's due to the fiber optics allowing them to be highly visible day/low light/and night but I heard some negative feedback from people about the lack of durability. Trijicon HD sights are very visible in day and low light applications as well as night. They are twice as much as the TruGlo's but offer a warranty and the Tritium vials are warranted to glow for 12 years. I just think you get what you pay for and I don't like to skimp when it comes to me and my families personal defense. If I hadn't heard so many bad reviews on the TruGlo's I'd be all for them, but they're made in China and are poorly designed IMO.

All of the trijicons are good. I had standard 3 dot green tritiums on my duty weapon. The TFO's have been on my list. I have seen several sets and they are metal construction with fiber optic for day and Tritium behind for night. I found them to be very bright day and night. here is agood you tube video

Truglo TFO NightSights - YouTube
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I have HD's on my FN and really like them (they're the kind with different colors for front and back, a nice touch). My Nano has Trijicons too but I don't recall the model. All of the Trijicons are pretty good.

I wanted Trijicon's for my Shield but they haven't decided whether they're going to make them yet. After calling Trijicon every few weeks they finally said I should check out Ameriglo because Trijicon makes the inserts for their sights.
    Got a pair of Ameriglo HD sights last night and going to have them installed today. Front single dot orange/night, rear two dot night. They have these in full size M&P too.
    "If there is trouble, I stay here to help you. For your father -- for your father."

Distinguished Member
    These are not Trijicon's, but they do have trijicon vials in them for the night sights. These are a set of AmeriGlo pro i dots I just put on my G23. I've been meaning to do a thread on here reviewing them.

matts phone 063.jpgmatts phone 062.jpgmatts phone 061.jpgmatts phone 032.jpg

I love em so far. The front sight is a big neon yellow dot with a tritium night sight in the center. It's awesome, nice and big and bright. Very easy and fast to pick up when you bring the gun into your sight picture. The rear is plain black except a small tritium dot, which is barley even noticeable except in low light. Nothing to distract from or mix up with the front sight (a problem I have had with traditional 3 dot). Has a pretty wide opening which allows a good bit of light through the front sight so you can tell exactly where your front sight is on your target.

These first set of sights I've put on a gun, except a set of Hiviz fiber optic 3 dots I put on my CZ P-01. Those fiber optics were nice except I couldn't really discern the front sight from the rears. I ended up taking off the fiber optic rears and putting the stock one's back on and blacking out the white dots. That's when I learned I really wanted an i dot or heinie type sight picture. I have astigmatism which I think is cause for some of my preference. I went with the AmeriGlos cause I really liked the big dot on the front sight. But still got a normal rear sight, not a weird one like the xs big dots.

Overall I love em and am glad I finally made the jump and put em on. There is alot of choices out there.
    guitarzNgunz likes this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

I also like contrasting colors easier to pick up fast for me

Well we really like the Trijicons HD's so we've decided to go with them. So my question now is what color phosphorescent front sight paint is better for daylight in your opinion the Yellow or Orange? Being we both have the Crimson Trace laser grips and the Micro90 S&W weapon mounted light we kind of have the low-light situations covered so we're wanting to get the paint that would work best for daylight.

Distinguished Member
    Ya, that's a great question - prob a little different for each person. I did a little mock test with my c02 gun, put some nail polish on the front sight, played around with it then changed the color - found I liked the yellow better myself. I think either will be very easy to pick up, I have plans to eventually put these same sights on my M&P, might just go with the orange next time. Either way I think your good.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

I went with the Trijicon HD in orange myself, but as many have said, different eyes, different preferences.

FYI, at night both the front and rears glow with the tritium green, but the color ring around the front in both the yellow and orange can be "charged" with a flashlight and will also glow 5-10 minutes. I also like the fact that the rears are solid metal and beveled (at least in the Glock version) to allow one-hand chambering against a belt or shoe.

IMAG0104.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganRVguy View Post
    I went with the Trijicon HD in orange myself, but as many have said, different eyes, different preferences.

FYI, at night both the front and rears glow with the tritium green, but the color ring around the front in both the yellow and orange can be "charged" with a flashlight and will also glow 5-10 minutes. I also like the fact that the rears are solid metal and beveled (at least in the Glock version) to allow one-hand chambering against a belt or shoe.

IMAG0104.jpg
    I feel like either would be highly visible to me, it's just a matter of which would do better in direct sunlight. Have you ever taken yours to an outdoor range? I'm guessing the orange would be more visible in direct sunlight or brightly lit rooms.

The orange shows up well outside, but as I only have that color I can't tell you if it's better or worse than the yellow. I was used to an orange front on my revolver so stayed with the same when I replaced my G27 sights. I don't think you can go wrong with either, both are (to my eyes) better than the plain white stock sights.
    guitarzNgunz likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links