Semi-retirement of my 30 year carry knife

This is a discussion on Semi-retirement of my 30 year carry knife within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well; I can hardly believe it; I am putting the Spyderco Endura pocket knife I have carried for about 30 years into semi-retirement. After reading ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Semi-retirement of my 30 year carry knife

Well; I can hardly believe it; I am putting the Spyderco Endura pocket knife I have carried for about 30 years into semi-retirement.

After reading a story where someone (turned out to be a New Orleans cop but just the same) came up behind a guy open carrying, put his left arm around his neck in a choke hold and seized his sidearm got me thinking, the Spyderco rides great in the right pocket hinge down great for rapid deployment. But if my right hand is occupied securing my sidearm I need something for the left hand.

It is near impossible to find folders that clip hinge down, and have not found a left handed hinge down knife, until yesterday. So if grabbed in a choke hold from behind, the new knife can be deployed with left hand only ready for "Operation Castration". New knife is on the top, out of the box it is scalpel sharp, ready for a little "surgery".
    Attached Images

I am lucky in that I shoot left handed but do everything else right handed. So left hand can protect gun while right pulls the knife.

Is that your 30 year old Spyderco Endura on bottom. My Endura looks nothing like that and can be set up left hand, hinge down. My Endura has 4 mounting options for the clip.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

It is near impossible to find folders that clip hinge down, and have not found a left handed hinge down knife, until yesterday.
    Most of the newer knives that I have looked at have movable clips, Benchmade, Blackhawk, Spiderco.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    Spyderco Endura ... It is near impossible to find folders that clip hinge down, and have not found a left handed hinge down knife, until yesterday.
    FYI

The Spyderco Native is just such a blade. It has a reversible clip to support lefties and righties, and the clip fastens such that the blade is hinge down (inside the pocket). I've got two of them, and they work just as you describe. A good, solid, sturdy CPM S30V knife, and about $50-70 street. Have kept it clipped to my off-hand pocket for years, now. Works nicely, though thankfully I have not yet needed to use it on an assailant.

There's now a S35VN "upgraded" variant, the Native5, though it's significantly more expensive.

Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

F350, do you think you got your moneys worth? That's pretty great! 30 years. Wow.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

As others have already stated... that carry configuration is super common these days.

However, I have noticed that the "economy" folders like the Bucks and Gerbers that you'll find at places like Walmart or Target are typically the "hinge up" styles.

That's okay... those are junk anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    Well; I can hardly believe it; I am putting the Spyderco Endura pocket knife I have carried for about 30 years into semi-retirement.

After reading a story where someone (turned out to be a New Orleans cop but just the same) came up behind a guy open carrying, put his left arm around his neck in a choke hold and seized his sidearm got me thinking, the Spyderco rides great in the right pocket hinge down great for rapid deployment. But if my right hand is occupied securing my sidearm I need something for the left hand.

It is near impossible to find folders that clip hinge down, and have not found a left handed hinge down knife, until yesterday. So if grabbed in a choke hold from behind, the new knife can be deployed with left hand only ready for "Operation Castration". New knife is on the top, out of the box it is scalpel sharp, ready for a little "surgery".
    I had a similar "what if" scenario run through my head not long ago...

Went with a KaBar TDI that rides on weak side...

Nothing to fiddle with, just grab 'n go.

"Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

You will love the CRKY M16 folder, I have had two...the large one that I destriyed in Iraq, and the same one you have now minus the tanto point. You will love it.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I hope that NOL cop got FIRED over that. Sneaking up on an OC guy ain't no way 'protect and serve' in my book. More like what happened that fateful day on December 7th 1941.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

The Native is what I carry as well. Great knife. I have an older Endura that also doesn't have the newer clip that can be adjusted.
    Oh, and the 'newer' clip isn't all that new. I've had my Native since '98

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    FYI

The Spyderco Native is just such a blade. It has a reversible clip to support lefties and righties, and the clip fastens such that the blade is hinge down (inside the pocket). I've got two of them, and they work just as you describe. A good, solid, sturdy CPM S30V knife, and about $50-70 street. Have kept it clipped to my off-hand pocket for years, now. Works nicely, though thankfully I have not yet needed to use it on an assailant.

There's now a S35VN "upgraded" variant, the Native5, though it's significantly more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveCO View Post
    The Native is what I carry as well. Great knife. I have an older Endura that also doesn't have the newer clip that can be adjusted.
    Oh, and the 'newer' clip isn't all that new. I've had my Native since '98
    IIRC, it was also the same configuration (reversible clip, hinge down) on the Delica as well. Had a pair of those, too.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    You will love the CRKY M16 folder, I have had two...the large one that I destriyed in Iraq, and the same one you have now minus the tanto point. You will love it.
    Yes I am already "in love" with it after less than 24 hr, super, super knife!

One thing I have found on it is that those hand guard extensions on the blade, when drawing you can dig the bottom one into the corner of your pocket and it will open just like the "wave" type knives. I figured the top one was for index finger, discovered the bottom one in the pocket corner while practicing drawing and opening

OK; I guess there are multiple knives that are able to be set up left hand, hinge down now; a disadvantage to living in the middle of the mountains, you aren't up to date on everything; BUT I ain't gonna move!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    Is that your 30 year old Spyderco Endura on bottom. My Endura looks nothing like that and can be set up left hand, hinge down. My Endura has 4 mounting options for the clip.
    Yep that's her; molded in pocket clip, that's the first one I ever saw in person and I bought it; kinda like the first Glock 19 I ever saw is still in the gun safe, and the first Glock 20

Quote Originally Posted by jeephipwr View Post
    I am lucky in that I shoot left handed but do everything else right handed. So left hand can protect gun while right pulls the knife.

Isn't life grand? I am the exact same way and it makes carrying much more comfortable
    Say 'what' again! I dare you! I double dare you!-Jules Winnfield aka Samuel L Jackson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links