Spotting Scopes or Binoculars

This is a discussion on Spotting Scopes or Binoculars within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi Guys, Had a great day at the range today an have not much of a problem seeing where I am hitting with my SP101 ...

Thread: Spotting Scopes or Binoculars

Hi Guys,

Had a great day at the range today an have not much of a problem seeing where I am hitting with my SP101 or my Glock 17 but when I start with the Mark 111 plus shooting farther away ( 50 to 75 feet) its hard to see where I am hitting without alot of squinting. Does anybody use a spotting scope or binoculars just curious which is better and easier to use

Depends on the shooting venue. If I'm out shooting in the wild, binocs are easier. At the range, shooting from fixed benches, I find a spotting scope to be simpler.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I think at distances of 50-75 feet you should probably be ok using even a cheap pair of binocs. from the Wally World sporting goods section. If you can see it by squinting a little then you shouldn't have a problem using those. You can always invest in a good spotting scope if you end up shooting longer distances and need something more steady.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

As above. As you have found out, not only does distance matter, but also caliber, the size of the hole you're punching in your target. Those .22 cal bullets make darn small holes! For short distances up to say 50 yards, a decent set of binoculars will do. For sighting in rifles, load work, or long distance work, i.e., many hundreds of yards, you definitely need a spotting scope. Optics quality in spotting scopes definitely come into play at the longer distances as well.
    NRA Life Member

I agree I was looking at a pair of Leica compact or even their monocular looked a like a nice little tool

Administrator
    For distances of 50 to 75 feet you can buy a very inexpensive 8X monocular and that will do the trick. They are all over ebay you should be able to pick up a decent one for around 20 or 30 dollars.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Links