Has anyone ever used................

This is a discussion on Has anyone ever used................ within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have any of you used electrical contact cleaner on your weapons? I don't me as the sole cleaning agent......

Thread: Has anyone ever used................

Has anyone ever used................

Have any of you used electrical contact cleaner on your weapons? I don't me as the sole cleaning agent...
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

2. Remove Ads

I think I remember reading somewhere when I was searching for ways to clean my dirty mosin after working with the barrel for three hours and still getting black patches. That someone used what you mentioned to get it like new clean.

The only thing I can think of is a sonic cleaner, but that would be a little expensive.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Administrator
    It's a great degreaser to remove all traces of cruddy oil and lubrication from your firearm internals and rails. It also chases out water very well so if your firearm gets wet internally you can dry it out easily by flooding it with contact cleaner. It also removes Cosmoline very well.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Spray break cleaner works darned well too, and probably cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    It's a great degreaser to remove all traces of cruddy oil and lubrication from your firearm internals and rails. It also chases out water very well so if your firearm gets wet internally you can dry it out easily by flooding it with contact cleaner. It also removes Cosmoline very well.

Spray break cleaner works darned well too, and probably cheaper.
    Cool tips. Never knew this stuff.

That's why I like this site; I learn something new every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    Have any of you used electrical contact cleaner on your weapons? I don't me as the sole cleaning agent...
    When I shot Black powder guns the Best Way Bar None to clean them was Hot Water Cleaning. You're gonna need all the dry DIRTY TOWELS u got n the house. ((Don't use your old lady's best towels or ur on your own.)) Thick welding gloves MIGHT WORK.

1) Strip rifle down as far as you can. BP Barrels remove easily from breach of stock/I don't know about modern guns. Put these parts aside.
    2) Wrap towels round barrel or wear thick HD gloves to PROTECT YOUR HANDS. Pour water just off the boil carefully down the barrel. I always would put breech end of barrel in coffee can to catch water coming out of nipple hole. If you can fill barrel to muzzle and let sit several minutes. BARREL WILL BE EXTREMELY HOT.

3) Upend rifle and drain out water BEING EXTREMELY CAREFUL NOT TO BURN YOUR HANDS. Give outside a quik wipe down then run patches down bore till they come out clean. Then oil patch and continue cleaning as you normally would. For internals use what works for you. BP guns are simple. You got the Lock, Stock and Barrel.

Hot water cleaning typically takes an hour or more. It usually took me an hour EZ. PROTECT YOUR HANDS FROM HOT BARRELS KEEP AWAY FROM THE KIDS AND DOGS!!!

A) When Hot Water Cleaning the water is SOOOO HOT much of it evaporates/steams off but wipe it down like crazy/don't miss nuttin.
    -----------------------------
    Now I got a question. Will Electrical Contact Cleaner clean off residue from Black Electrical Tape on Blued Steel??
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    Why do you ask?
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    Why do you ask?
    I asked because I felt it might be useful. So I thought I'm sure someone on this forum must have tried it and sure enough they have.........
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Links