glow on sight paint?

glow on sight paint?

This is a discussion on glow on sight paint? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; the white of my front sight popped out and was thinkin of filling it in with this. will this appear white in day light when ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By RubenZ
  • 1 Post By Taurahe

Thread: glow on sight paint?

glow on sight paint?

the white of my front sight popped out and was thinkin of filling it in with this. will this appear white in day light when not glowing or is it clear or something not very visible. How would you rate the glow vs. other products. thanks for any input.
    ruger91

NRA member

Here's a pretty informative thread on the product. Hope it helps!
    Glow-On glow in the dark gun sights, Q&A please post your questions, be nice.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

thanks for the link.
    ruger91

NRA member

I use it on my carry guns and my target guns. I like the original or the Green best.
    The Grand daughters love it on their nails too.

Go with the glow
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Administrator
    Buy a small bottle. It is neat stuff. Absolutely replace your white dot front with it.

You will have more than enough remaining to find some other uses for it.

I did the zipper pulls inside my one man tent with it and I think that if I charge them for a few seconds before I hit the hay...I should be able to quickly and easily locate them in pitch darkness all night long...as long as I don't destroy my night vision with bright flashlight light.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

That looks like some neat stuff, I may have to pick up a small package of it.

thanks for all the replies everyone. i am definatly going to give the glow on a try. thanks
    ruger91

NRA member

I wouldnt do that. Here is my review. I found it to be very lacking for a defensive pistol.
    Glow-On Night sight paint review
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I dont like that it has to be charged. Especially if gun is holstered all the time.
    Taurahe likes this.
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

Administrator
    It is really intended for a scenario like hearing a possible intruder at night or perhaps you hear window glass breaking.

Your flashlight is beside your firearm. You can charge both sights before you hit the sack and as long as you are darkness and have not destroyed your night vision your sights will glow at least as well as Tritium for at least a few hours.

If you hear a possible intruder that you can quickly cup your hand over your front sight (to block the bright light from ruining your night vision) and charge it for two seconds - the same with your rear sight...if you have time and then it is basically as effective as tritium sights.

One you are using a bright flashlight or turning on room lights your Tritium Night Sights are totally useless also.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
    I dont like that it has to be charged. Especially if gun is holstered all the time.
    I was always puzzled at the charging myself. Pretty much useless for a concealed gun........and not sure how they will charge while your asleep in a dark room.
    Maybe I am missing something??
    When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    It is really intended for a scenario like hearing a possible intruder at night or perhaps you hear window glass breaking.

Your flashlight is beside your firearm. You can charge both sights before you hit the sack and as long as you are darkness and have not destroyed your night vision your sights will glow at least as well as Tritium for at least a few hours.

If you hear a possible intruder that you can quickly cup your hand over your front sight (to block the bright light from ruining your night vision) and charge it for two seconds - the same with your rear sight...if you have time and then it is basically as effective as tritium sights.

One you are using a bright flashlight or turning on room lights your Tritium Night Sights are totally useless also.
    You are correct, but day sights are useless at night. At least night sights are always on, no charging needed. Your solution of charging is viable in a HD situation, but what if I have been out all eveing with friends and I am assualted in a parking lot going to my car? Will the BG stop to let me charge my sights? ......... not hardly. Night Sights are always on, no questions asked. and are money well spent. Glow-On paint....not so much as far as use as a night sight is concerned.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Administrator
    Well, I bought some but, have not done any firearm sights with it yet.

What I did do is test some on my inside "one man" tent zipper pulls - and after giving those zipper pulls a good initial charge they were still easily visible in pitch darkness many hours later.

So as long as I didn't incapacitate my night vision with bright light the glow is decently visible for quite some time.

I'm now thinking about marking some items in my Bug Out Bag with the Glow On so that I can give everything in there a quick charge up and then i should be able to locate a few things in there in total darkness.

There may be some possible scenarios where I might want to locate a few Bug Out Bag items in there in total darkness without resorting to the use of a flashlight.

Certainly that use alone would be worth the extremely low dollar investment in the product.

Administrator
    but what if I have been out all evening with friends and I am assaulted in a parking lot going to my car?

Well, first of all if you are being assaulted in a parking lot chances are about 90+% that you're not going to have time to use your sights at all.

That having been said I agree that the Glow On is not a replacement for Tritium sights as the manufacturer has stated.

However if you were in any location prior to venturing into that parking lot where you could charge your sights beforehand they would actually glow brighter than Tritium Night Sights for at least 30 minutes or more.

So I think that we can agree that the purchaser must understand the limitations of the product before deciding if it will work out for their intended application or not.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    but what if I have been out all evening with friends and I am assaulted in a parking lot going to my car?

Well, first of all if you are being assaulted in a parking lot chances are about 90+% that you're not going to have time to use your sights at all.

That having been said I agree that the Glow On is not a replacement for Tritium sights as the manufacturer has stated.

However if you were in any location prior to venturing into that parking lot where you could charge your sights beforehand they would actually glow brighter than Tritium Night Sights for at least 30 minutes or more.

So I think that we can agree that the purchaser must understand the limitations of the product before deciding if it will work out for their intended application or not.
    I actually marked a few tactical lights with it, and the marking of zipper pulls in a tent is genious. It does have some very practical applications. Its not a bad product in any fashion, I just dont like it being claimes as a night sight replacement, because it is not. I definitely agree that a user must understand the limitations of the product. I will not be throwing it away by any means, as I have some very clever ideas for it.
    QKShooter likes this.
    ~Daniel Webster

Links