Tip for people playing with kydex

This is a discussion on Tip for people playing with kydex within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A while back I played with Kydex when I had access to a bandsaw and cutting it was easy. Didn't have the inclination to keep ...

Thread: Tip for people playing with kydex

Tip for people playing with kydex

A while back I played with Kydex when I had access to a bandsaw and cutting it was easy. Didn't have the inclination to keep playing after I lost access and tried using a jigsaw and dremel. Recently I saw a link to a kydex tutorial where someone was using an Xacto knife to score it and then breaking it over an edge. Cool. I took it a bit further and found I could also score curves, not real tight, but so much better than a straight line. Then I found that I could also cut a hole in the middle by going over it 2-3x with the knife and then bending the outer edge.

Just thought it might help someone else out there.

My project that started this was I keep a med/survival kit in my Tilley hat pocket, but it's weight collapsed the crown and the edges sunk in. I decided to stiffen it with a piece of Kydex (cutting curves), but it wasn't very comfortable. Then I cut a donut hole in the middle - comfortable again and the edges are crisper as well.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    A while back I played with Kydex when I had access to a bandsaw and cutting it was easy. Didn't have the inclination to keep playing after I lost access and tried using a jigsaw and dremel. Recently I saw a link to a kydex tutorial where someone was using an Xacto knife to score it and then breaking it over an edge. Cool. I took it a bit further and found I could also score curves, not real tight, but so much better than a straight line. Then I found that I could also cut a hole in the middle by going over it 2-3x with the knife and then bending the outer edge.

Just thought it might help someone else out there.

My project that started this was I keep a med/survival kit in my Tilley hat pocket, but it's weight collapsed the crown and the edges sunk in. I decided to stiffen it with a piece of Kydex (cutting curves), but it wasn't very comfortable. Then I cut a donut hole in the middle - comfortable again and the edges are crisper as well.
    Knife scoring works great for me, as well.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    Where is a good place to purchase kydex. The places I see it's always costly stuff...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    I buy from Knifekits.com.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Links