Tip for people playing with kydex

This is a discussion on Tip for people playing with kydex within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A while back I played with Kydex when I had access to a bandsaw and cutting it was easy. Didn't have the inclination to keep ...

Thread: Tip for people playing with kydex

A while back I played with Kydex when I had access to a bandsaw and cutting it was easy. Didn't have the inclination to keep playing after I lost access and tried using a jigsaw and dremel. Recently I saw a link to a kydex tutorial where someone was using an Xacto knife to score it and then breaking it over an edge. Cool. I took it a bit further and found I could also score curves, not real tight, but so much better than a straight line. Then I found that I could also cut a hole in the middle by going over it 2-3x with the knife and then bending the outer edge.

Just thought it might help someone else out there.

My project that started this was I keep a med/survival kit in my Tilley hat pocket, but it's weight collapsed the crown and the edges sunk in. I decided to stiffen it with a piece of Kydex (cutting curves), but it wasn't very comfortable. Then I cut a donut hole in the middle - comfortable again and the edges are crisper as well.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    A while back I played with Kydex when I had access to a bandsaw and cutting it was easy. Didn't have the inclination to keep playing after I lost access and tried using a jigsaw and dremel. Recently I saw a link to a kydex tutorial where someone was using an Xacto knife to score it and then breaking it over an edge. Cool. I took it a bit further and found I could also score curves, not real tight, but so much better than a straight line. Then I found that I could also cut a hole in the middle by going over it 2-3x with the knife and then bending the outer edge.

Just thought it might help someone else out there.

My project that started this was I keep a med/survival kit in my Tilley hat pocket, but it's weight collapsed the crown and the edges sunk in. I decided to stiffen it with a piece of Kydex (cutting curves), but it wasn't very comfortable. Then I cut a donut hole in the middle - comfortable again and the edges are crisper as well.
    Knife scoring works great for me, as well.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Where is a good place to purchase kydex. The places I see it's always costly stuff...
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    I buy from Knifekits.com.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Links