Any inexpensive quality lasers?

This is a discussion on Any inexpensive quality lasers? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; An earlier thread got me to thinking ( an always dangerous thing) about lasers, so I was wondering if anyone had found a relatively inexpensive ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MrsHB

Thread: Any inexpensive quality lasers?

An earlier thread got me to thinking ( an always dangerous thing) about lasers, so I was wondering if anyone had found a relatively inexpensive pistol laser that was of quality manufacture. I know someone will chime in with laserlyte, crimson trace, etc, but they are cost prohibitive at this time. I like the laserlyte V3. It would really only be used on my glock for HD, not on my EDC.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    that would have been my question
    Laser as a defensive weapon?

I am still looking into them. I got a couple cheap ones from Flea bay. but not sure how to test them!
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    that would have been my question
    Laser as a defensive weapon?

I am still looking into them. I got a couple cheap ones from Flea bay. but not sure how to test them!
    I would say go shooting. My primary concern is failure under recoil. And I dont want to drop a lot of $$ if I dont like it.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

VIP Member
    I can't see the laser in bright light. I have the crimson trace grips on my Kimber and unless it is indoors or overcast I can't see it.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." ~ Mark Twain

"Inexpensive and Quality" in the same sentence?
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by 12 gauge View Post
    "Inexpensive and Quality" in the same sentence?
    lol I ask for alot dont i!
    ~Daniel Webster

That is the downfall to all red lasers, they wash out in sunlight. Mine would be used in the dark so its not an issue. the green lasers dont wash out but are very pricey compared to red.
    ~Daniel Webster

Take an NRA instructors course

Get deep discounts from Crimson Trace

I've used lasers from several other makers, and IMHO the Crimson Trace units are the only ones really worth having
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Re: Any inexpensive quality lasers?

Crimson Trace are the only ones I have experience with and that's because the CT laser grips came on the used 1911 I bought.

I wouldn't mind finding a cheaper alternative to put on another gun or two.. hopefully somebody can chime in with some for us. :D
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I'd encourage you to decide what features you want, then save up enough $$ to get them. Better to spend $120 and be happy, than to waste $85 on something that isn't going to work for you. Laser sights come in several configurations and with various features.

I have a CT laser grip on my revolver that cost $279 plus tax. I initially bought the cheaper model (I think it was $100) that was not grip-activated. Instead, you had to operate a teeny tiny switch, and then laser remained continuously on until you switched back off. Think about being in a panic situation in the dark and trying to operate that tiny switch, or in an intruder situation where you don't want to broadcast your location before you're ready to shoot, and you'll probably agree these are not ideal features. Fortunately, I was able to exchange the cheaper model for the pricier one, so the $100 wasn't wasted.

My husband put a Streamlight 69240 TLR-4 Compact Rail Mounted Tactical Light with Laser Sight - Amazon.com on the Glock we use for HD, and I really like it. It has a bright streamlight in addition to the laser, so you can ID your target while in the ready position, just before deciding to shoot. It is switch activated, but the switch is large and ambidextrous, has momentary-on (down) or continuous-on (up) and is easily operated with a flick of your index finger.

Lasers are NOT a substitute for regular sights, they're in addition to them. If it's daytime, use your regular sights.

Here's a good article on the types of lasers,and criticisms and myths of lasers: The Case for Lasers | Cornered Cat

Hope this helps.
    guitarzNgunz likes this.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrsHB View Post
    I'd encourage you to decide what features you want, then save up enough $$ to get them. Better to spend $120 and be happy, than to waste $85 on something that isn't going to work for you. Laser sights come in several configurations and with various features.

I have a CT laser grip on my revolver that cost $279 plus tax. I initially bought the cheaper model (I think it was $100) that was not grip-activated. Instead, you had to operate a teeny tiny switch, and then laser remained continuously on until you switched back off. Think about being in a panic situation in the dark and trying to operate that tiny switch, or in an intruder situation where you don't want to broadcast your location before you're ready to shoot, and you'll probably agree these are not ideal features. Fortunately, I was able to exchange the cheaper model for the pricier one, so the $100 wasn't wasted.

My husband put a Streamlight 69240 TLR-4 Compact Rail Mounted Tactical Light with Laser Sight - Amazon.com on the Glock we use for HD, and I really like it. It has a bright streamlight in addition to the laser, so you can ID your target while in the ready position, just before deciding to shoot. It is switch activated, but the switch is large and ambidextrous, has momentary-on (down) or continuous-on (up) and is easily operated with a flick of your index finger.

Lasers are NOT a substitute for regular sights, they're in addition to them. If it's daytime, use your regular sights.

Here's a good article on the types of lasers,and criticisms and myths of lasers: The Case for Lasers | Cornered Cat

Hope this helps.
    Exactly, you should just get quality from the start because lets face it you get what you pay for especially when it comes to something like this. I ended up getting the Crimson Trace laser grip for my M&P 40c and I have no regrets. Initially I was looking for the bargain quality just like you but after reading 800 reviews on many different options I just decided to get it right the first time.

Lasermax is more affordable and it gets good reviews in amazon...

Crimson has an excellent reputation online but they charge a premium...

Links