Not totally impressed with Surefire E2D LED Defender

This is a discussion on Not totally impressed with Surefire E2D LED Defender within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got this light about 4 days ago and I am very impressed with the built quality, the strike bezel and I have no doubt ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Richard58

Thread: Not totally impressed with Surefire E2D LED Defender

I got this light about 4 days ago and I am very impressed with the built quality, the strike bezel and I have no doubt about the reliability of this light but I'm not too impressed with the "spill" of the beam. I have a Quark X 123 and it shines out about 160 lumens but the beam seems to be more blinding in a dark area than my Surefire E2D that has 200 Lumens (Yes I tested them on a friend then on myself). I'm not so dissapointed that I won't carry this light. I wanted it mainly for the strike bezel, the fact that it produces 200 lumens, has dual output, is built like a tank and is pretty sexy looking is all a bonus for me.

Anyone else carry the Surefire Defender?

I have had Surefires in the past and they are just ok in my opinion. I have switched to strictly Fenix for all my carry lights. YMMV

Surefire doesn't try and compete with other companies by trying to beat them in lumen count. Their philosophy is to make a rock solid USA made light that always performs.

That being said, if you want the brightest high quality lights, you would get a much better bang for your buck with 4Sevens, Fenix and Olight.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    Surefire doesn't try and compete with other companies by trying to beat them in lumen count. Their philosophy is to make a rock solid USA made light that always performs.

That being said, if you want the brightest high quality lights, you would get a much better bang for your buck with 4Sevens, Fenix and Olight.
    Now that I have both I have to weigh the options. What's more important to me... Carrying a more than capable light with a striking tool built into the bezel or carry a smaller yet more blinding light that has no built in striking tool.

I've tried many different flashlights, some larger/smaller, some heavier/lighter, some uber-bright, and some with very specific features. All were acquired with the intent on carrying them daily. Included several units from SureFire, as well.

My choice, after having seen each of these: a SolarForce L2 18650 host, paired with a Malkoff M61W LED module and a AW 18650 Li-Ion battery. The light module can also be mated to 2x123 cells, if 18650 is not your thing. The LED is a ruggedized unit that can withstand a good amount of punishment. Can easily add a crenelated (aka "strike") bezel ring, if desired. Can use the LED in a Malkoff MD2 host, which has a hi/lo switch. Extremely good light, bright center, generous mild spill ring with sharp cutoff. Exceptional quality to the light. Focused enough not to waste much light, yet wide enough to quickly get the sense in a room/space (ie, won't "tunnel" blind you). At "only" 240 lumens, it's not as bright as some, but it "blinds" fairly easily out to ~30yds or so. Exceptional.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I still like my ole 6 cell mag light for the great weapon and light that it is....It saved my butt several times while checking license and a bad guy turns bee shack on you..its already in hand...Theirs ur sign...
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

LOL yep nothing like the old war club mag lite. I got a mini mag six and a three cell. three cell makes a pretty good head nocker
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

After alot of research I went with a Sunwayman. Very impressed with the construction quality, and the 658 lumen look like high beams on a car down a dark road. Think I got my T20CS for around $120 if you look around.
    T20CS - Products - sunwayman

Sponsored Links