Ears ... Electronic or not?

This is a discussion on Ears ... Electronic or not? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I usually wear the soft foamy ear plugs or the ones I made from a package of goo stuff but as I was looking at ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Ears ... Electronic or not?

I usually wear the soft foamy ear plugs or the ones I made from a package of goo stuff but as I was looking at some training courses I noticed many places prefer electronic ear protection.

I am guessing this is to make commands easier to hear.

But what I am a little concerned about is the NRR of more reasonably priced models (<$100) just seems low when compared to either the foamy plugs or non electronic muffs.

I don't get a chance to shoot often enough to justify spending a couple of hundred dollars on them and I'm not sure just how much better those costing $200+ really are.

Those of you with the Howard Leights or other "normal" ear muffs, are you happy with the noise reduction? Are the gun shots muffled enough? Do you wear foamy plugs along with the ears?
    Concealed means hidden from ordinary observation so as to prevent disclosure or recognition. A deadly weapon is concealed when it is carried on or about the person in such a manner that another person in the ordinary course of events would not be placed on notice that the weapon was being carried.

I wear my electronic ear muffs over ear plugs. Previously I was wearing regular muffs over ear plugs--the electronic ears are an improvement. Definitely worth the $25 I paid.
    bigsky109 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    I paid around $60 for my Howard Leights Impact Sports electronic muffs and initially, I had the same concerns as you regarding the lower rating.

The first few times I wore them along with the rubberish ear plugs with the small hole through them and they were just fine. I found the plugs to be beneficial when I had to take off the electronics to adjust them or to dab my face with a towel.

Eventually, I just ended up wearing the electrionics by themselves and although they let through a little more noise (say, if a rifle or a 50 cal were being fired nearby), I found them to be real convenient in being able to hear people talking around me, and being able to understand someone when I was conversing with them near the lanes.

The price of the HL Impact Sports is around $50 now and I would highly recommend them.

Cheers!
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

I've used plastic/rubberized plugs for years, and either a standard Silencio or an electronic Silencio muff Particularly with both plugs and muffs, it's useful to have the electronic type. Though, I've occasionally used just the electronic. Combined plugs plus the standard muffs, hearing is all but shut off for spoken words, and the "din" of shooting is barely a mild "thud" of sound waves through the chest. Plenty of NRR, IOW.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The first ear muffs I wore for shooting were accessories that came with a chainsaw. They were better than regular ear plugs. Personally I don't care for foam plugs. Mainly due to ear problems most of my life. Electronic muffs are out of my price range.

Nearly 20 years ago while working as a grounds keeper on a Navy Base I found the best ear plugs I'd ever used. Made from a soft rubber like foam material with a shape like 2 stacked bowls with a little handle. These puppies really cut the weed whacking roar down to a tolerable level. You pull down on your ear lobe while rolling them inside your ear. Made by MSA (safety gear) these work pretty well. I've since gotten some Winchester brand ear muffs and these work way better than the chainsaw muffs. I try to use plugs and muffs together but sometimes forget the muffs. I learned the hard way to keep plugs in my shooting cans. Or I just use a couple ciggy butts.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

VIP Member
    I have a pair of HL's and a pair of Peltor's. Both rated the same. I use them without any additional protection and agree with others here that they work well as long as no one around you is shooting a cannon. I think I paid around $60 for each. i really like the fact that you can hear people talking and range commands.

I also have the HL Impact Sports. Love em. If I know there will be rifles nearby I try to put in foam earplugs as well.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I also wear Peltor and feel they are better than the foam or the molded ones that are fit to your ears.

No matter what they cost if it cheaper than losing your hearing
    "The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
    - Thomas Jefferson
    Gerry
    Ft Collins

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    Nearly 20 years ago while working as a grounds keeper on a Navy Base I found the best ear plugs I'd ever used. Made from a soft rubber like foam material with a shape like [I] 2 stacked bowls with a little handle.
    Best I've ever found was in a grocery store, a similar "stacked-bowls" design of similar rubber-like material. About ~27 NRR, IIRC. Designed for swimming, but they worked wonderful well for cutting the sharp report of gunfire. Simple rubbery material, two cups to keep the water/sound out, and you tug the earlobe down while inserting. With muffs added, it's practically silent.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Outdoors, I've found even the least expensive electronic muffs sufficient. Indoors I'll always double up with muffs and plugs as the muffs are only rated at 25dB. To the best of my recollection 25 dB is the Minimum recommended for indoor shooting (and my indoor shooting usually has all 10 lanes at capacity.)

33dB plugs and 25dB muffs should come to about 35-36dB which is about half as 'loud' as 33dB.

Senior Moderator
    I wear regular muffs over foam ear plugs, the people I shoot with know to make eye contact with me before speaking to me when we are shooting
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    What . . . ?
    jbum likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Electronic for me. After years and years of non-electronic muffs, I bought a pair of Sordins. They're awesome. If I'm indoor, it's plugs under muffs and they work great.

Any of the electronic models work with rifle or shotgun so as not to affect cheek weld?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yoda, I am, yes.

I use the Howard Leight Impact Sport electronic muffs and I love them. No, they don't cut as much noise, but they are still effective and being able to hear when I'm not shooting is awesome.

They can get in the way just a little bit when shooting long guns, I'll bump them depending on how I have them on, when my cheek is on the stock. Nothing bad and it's usually just a little adjustment and they're fine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links