For those of you who like flashlights. Tell me my options

This is a discussion on For those of you who like flashlights. Tell me my options within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've never been much of a flashlight guy. Even in the woods I've got no issue with walking around in the dark, maybe its my ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: For those of you who like flashlights. Tell me my options

I've never been much of a flashlight guy. Even in the woods I've got no issue with walking around in the dark, maybe its my good eye site, I don't know. But I've recently been on this preparedness kick. So I'm kind of looking for something small, can go on my belt, I'll likely use it as more of a here I am kind of thing. Probably for when I go hunting or camping, but may semi edc it at one point or another.

So what are my options?

I just picked up an Ultrafire WF-502B for $12 on Amazon. Including the battery, spare, and charger it came in under $30 for the brightest flashlight I've seen in its size.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Best EDC flashlight for the price is the Mag-lite XL-50 (in my opinion). ~$30. But there are always better options out there if you're looking to spend more money.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Quote Originally Posted by 031131 View Post
    ... looking for something small, can go on my belt
    So, what size/weight does "small" mean to you?

Are you stuck on one or two different choices in battery types, or does it not really matter?

Willing to build your own (from LED+body+battery parts) or strictly off-the-shelf?

$Budget?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    I sort of has a thing for flashlights - from $3 ones at the parts counter to a $60 I'm getting ready to buy from Lowes, 500 lumes!

I have a Terralux 220 and a redline...both pretty nice and both about 30 buck... I also just ordered a Surefire G2 but I'm not sure why, seems over priced!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Friends don't let friends wear fanny packs!!!

Open carry is to a handgun as bluetooth is to a cell phone!

I am a Fenix guy they are all I use. Check out the LD12 for a great AA light. I keep a PD20 on my key chain and is with me all the time. I am slowly trying to move away from CR123 lights because the batteries are expensive and will be hard to find if SHTF but they do put out some serious lums. My advice is to buy quality lights even if you have to spend a bit more. YMMV

Buy once get a stream light or sure fire had mine for years still like new

Streamlight,surefire.Bite the bullet and be done.
    AZJD1968 and scgunlover1 like this.
    The easy way is always mined.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    So, what size/weight does "small" mean to you?

Are you stuck on one or two different choices in battery types, or does it not really matter?

Willing to build your own (from LED+body+battery parts) or strictly off-the-shelf?

$Budget?
    2-3" long x anything under 1"
    AA is preferable
    Strictly off the shelf
    under $50

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Lumintop L1C 230 lumens, about 3.5" long. $45. Anything longer than 3-4" is too big for EDC. Under 200 lumens is not tactically viable, imo.

Thanks for the ideas everyone, I have a lot of research to do now on everything that was mentioned. I appreciate every ones input.

I agree with Burns, the mag lite xl-50 is VERY useful. Extremely bright and long range. I was honestly shocked at how nice it is. I went back to target the next day and picked up another.

I have a detached garage that is a few feet off of a neighbors wooden privacy fence. I shined it down there from about 40 feet away and it was darn near daylight.

It's small and it has a "low" setting if you double click that is still plenty bright ad conserves batteries. But if you need to torch something you can with a single click.
    Snub44, sundrix, 10thmtn and 1 others like this.

If you're interested in the build-your-own approach, here's a combination to consider. I've got a few of these. Very useful. Compact enough to fit easily onto a belt holster. Bright enough and solid enough for SD use. Can easily swap in a different LED module for different uses: ie, the bright one for daily/SD use, and the low-voltage and long-lasting one for camping/outdoor. No need to have several different lights. Just pop in the LED and battery you want, and you're set. Works very well.

Malkoff M61 series LED module -- drops into a suitable host tube. Add a battery, and you're set. With the "standard" module, the light output is impressive, extremely good quality of light, great focus/sharpness of the cone. With a low-voltage LED module chosen (ie, for longer-term camping/outdoor stuff), one cell can last for weeks of "normal" use at a campsite. Heavily built, durable, survivable. Doesn't overheat or "go bad" with long usage. Exceptional.

SolarForce L2 host, for the 18650 Li-Ion cell -- takes the M61 LED module nicely.

AW 18650 Li-Ion battery -- Provides a fairly long charge.

Charger.

About the only thing I'd prefer would be to have it be waterproof. But I've had them out in the weather and (so long as I didn't drop them into puddles) they've behaved very well. One setup is about $14 for the body, $60 for the LED, $20ea for the battery cells (one or two per host, depending on length of host purchased), plus the charger (~$25 or so). Not exactly a "budget" setup, but it'll last you years without fail.

Don't want to go the DIY route? Check out Fenix, JetBeam, or the solid stand-by SureFire. For some smaller options, check out FourSevens.

Some vendor sources for products that I've used in the past include BatteryJunction.com Batteries, Battery Chargers, Flashlights, Solar Products & more!, LightHound.

Want to "go blind" researching all of the alternatives out there? Here's the place: CandlePowerForums.com.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I should mention that I'm a bit of a flashlight junkie. Maybe even worse than guns. I keep catching myself pulling out the mag lite 50 every night just to shine it outside. My wife just shakes her head at me like I'm a preteen.

No idea why ultra bright things excite me.

Also, the xl-50 has a sweet strobe light if you triple click :)
    Burns likes this.

I'm a fan of Fenix lights. I have the PD30 and O light.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links