Glock Cleaning Schedule

This is a discussion on Glock Cleaning Schedule within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I spoke to my brother in law in NY who tells me he has never cleaned his Glock 19,even though he has fired about 1200 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock Cleaning Schedule

Glock Cleaning Schedule

I spoke to my brother in law in NY who tells me he has never cleaned his Glock 19,even though he has fired about 1200 rounds.He tells me that when he bought the gun he was told that a Glock is such a great handgun that it does not need to be cleaned until you fire about 10,000 rounds

2. Remove Ads

Sure soempeople believe anythign and why clean it

use the dishwasher just make sure you have heated dry on or it will rust.. This im not kidding about

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    That was the problem with the LAPD G21s that were in the news recently. It seems that they had never cleaned them and the firing pin channels were all full of crud. Glock detail stripped and clean the pistols completely and the problems quit.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Some People Don't Take Bath's...

Quote Originally Posted by Auta View Post
    I spoke to my brother in law in NY who tells me he has never cleaned his Glock 19,even though he has fired about 1200 rounds.He tells me that when he bought the gun he was told that a Glock is such a great handgun that it does not need to be cleaned until you fire about 10,000 rounds
    either...I guess it can save some money and time with boring friends...but that wouldn't be my choice...

Some people never change the oil in their cars...saves money and the cars seem to run just fine...but again, not my choice...

I clean every gun I shoot...every time I shoot...that's my choice!

Your choices may vary...

Stay safe...shoot a clean gun!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I carry a Glock because I can clean it when I want to, not because I have to.

I probably average 1000rnds between cleanings without any build up.

Lead Moderator
    Anyone who does not clean their CCW weapon will probably experience Murphys law in a very harsh way.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

The only time I have not clean my Glock for any length of time was when I was at Gunsite. By the time I got back to the B&B had dinner, and did some exercise, it was bed time. I did not have any problems, but I just don't like the idea of carrying any equipment that I may be betting my life on. That is not in the best, clean, condition as possible.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Clean it after you use it. It doesn't take long and gives you a chance to examine it. Who knows you just might need it to save your life someday and it would suck if at that time you discovered a problem.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

I was told to clean my G22 every time I fire it, and once a month if not fired ... Seems reasonable, especially carrying it (as opposed to it being stored). More opportunity for dirt and dust, and more important that it fores when i need it to!

$0.02

VIP Member
    I also clean my Glock after every time I go to the range. It might not need it but how else are you going to know if your weapon you are suppose to depend on is in working order. I feel you should examine your weapon every time it is shot wether its one shot or a thousand.

Thanks to all who have responded.I will inform my brother in law to check out our forums and read what our members have posted.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Please allow me to be the first to call it what (I feel)it is.........intentional abuse of a otherwise fine product.

When in the military, we were taught to take care of the gear that would take care of you. To me this is a "no brainer".If not shootin' our weapons,we were cleaning/maintaining our weapons. This,before any I&I was to take place.

Go ahead,neglect the very thing that you will eventually have to bet your life on.

Not me.....I'm keepin' 'em clean.--------

Administrator
    A dirty, crud filled handgun can be your very best friend.

Just ask the officer that had his firearm taken away from him in a gun grab scuffle.

The BG got control of his sidearm - carefully aimed the pistol at the officers head & pulled the trigger.

Absolutely nothing happened.
    (True Story)

The officer lives to tell the tale and probably now has his firearm heavily lubricated with super glue.
    (QKShooter Sarcasm)

I keep my both my daily carry gun & my BUG meticulously clean at all times.

Some of my other guns I do not get to clean right away.
    Especially if I take many different guns to shoot in one session.

If I intend to shoot the same guns the following week then I usually hold off cleaning them if they are not super dirty.

Especially the Colts.

If I do not get to do a good cleaning right away then I wipe the exterior of the firearm with Break Free CLP & then I Zip Lock Bag the firearm with a small amount of Brownell's Vapor Phase Inhibitor put into the plastic bag.

That stuff makes it impossible for the firearm to rust or pit and it does a fantastic job of effectively putting the firearm in limbo/neutral.

My can of the stuff is fairly old...it lasts forever.
    I believe it has now been replaced by these (below)...also from Brownell's
    RUST-BLOX

Stop Rust Before It Starts
    Each “Blox” protects up to 300 cubic inches of air-tight space with time-released, corrosion-inhibiting vapors for at least one year. Spread several through tool chest, tackle box, gun cabinet.

When you buy a new firearm & it's wrapped in Vapor Paper ~ Brownells Vapor Phase Inhibitor is the same chemical that the Vapor Paper is treated with...only in pure powder form. Basically it is the same as above.

My wife is extremely solvent sensitive and all solvents give her migraine headaches so I usually disassemble & throughly clean only on days when she is going to be gone for at least a few hours.

Even then...I'll usually always clean my guns outside - weather permitting.

Anyone who does not clean their CCW weapon will probably experience Murphys law in a very harsh way.
    They say Murphy was an optimist. But I'd bet that he always cleaned his guns.

It comes down to this: there's no way to know exactly at what point crud will bind the cycling of a gun; and there's no way to get the crud out except to remove it. Are you prepared to bet your life on this? Decide accordingly.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Clean mine everytime I shoot. No matter if it is one bullet or 1000.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links