What is a good weapon light for an M&P?

This is a discussion on What is a good weapon light for an M&P? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My brother is looking for a weapon light for his newly purchased M&P 9c. He would like to keep it under $70. So far he ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Crowman

Thread: What is a good weapon light for an M&P?

My brother is looking for a weapon light for his newly purchased M&P 9c. He would like to keep it under $70. So far he has been considering the S&W Micro90 and the Stream light TLR-3. Any others he should consider? Or any experience with the two mentioned above? Know of any good sales online for the TLR-3 or Micro90 or other?

Thanks
    Last edited by guitarzNgunz; March 28th, 2013 at 08:59 PM.

IIRC,

There are a fair number of lights that won't work on the compacts because of the short rail. So you need one of the smaller lights designed for compact pistols.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    IIRC,

There are a fair number of lights that won't work on the compacts because of the short rail. So you need one of the smaller lights designed for compact pistols.
    Understood. So what are some good options for the compact?

saa
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarzNgunz View Post
    My brother is looking for a weapon light for his newly purchased M&P 9c. He would like to keep it under $70. So far he has been considering the S&W Micro90 and the Stream light TLR-3. Any others he should consider? Or any experience with the two mentioned above? Know of any good sales online for the TLR-3 or Micro90 or other?

Thanks
    Wait, save, and buy a Surefire. The quality is always worth the wait.
    saa.
    "Every man is my superior in some way, in that I learn of him." - Emerson

"The value of good work lasts far longer than the sting of working for too little money." - Patrick Truillio

For a 9c you will want a compact light, the TLR-3 is a perfect choice. If he wants a laser also then the TLR-4 fits the bill. Surefire are really overpriced unless you are using them in seriously hard conditions like a LEO on patrol. Otherwise, they are a waste of money that could be better spent on things like ammo much like anything made by Crimson Trace is.

I have a TLR-3 for my Glock and it broke after removing it about 3 times. I would recommend a metal weaponlight rather than a plastic/polymer one.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

I'm not sure if the Surefire will fit. The X300 Ultra fits my FNP45 Tactical just fine but it's too large for my Bersa BP9CC. I've never held the M&P but it looks to be about the same size as my BP9CC. Maybe someone that owns the gun can chime in.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

I have one of these mounted on all my weapons-----> 1.jpg

Usually blinds any threat....... Great ammunition saver...... More so now with the ammunition shortage........
    guitarzNgunz likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

whatever light is handy when you need, but I like the streamlight weapon mounted lights personally
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Streamlight TLR-3 is what I have on my M&P 40c, it's well made and has not broken on me considering I put it on and take it off daily basis.

Don't waste your money on a SF, extremelt over priced considering you have lights out there that are just as good or better at a much lower cost and these lights have 2-3x the lumen output of the majority of SF lights plus varying modes.

For example Fenix lights much better value than SF's.

The SL TLR series do the exact same things as the X series of SF weapon lights,but at a much lower cost.

Anyway TLR-3 it is!

Another vote for the TLR 3. I have it on my M&P 9 FS. I've fired with it at the range and installed it several times now. I've done some "house clearing" at night when no one was here for practice and it's all I need in my house, which has a clear view of about 40 feet. I do see some buildup on the lens after firing a couple hundred rounds though, have to clean that off after a trip to the range. The controls are pretty easy while attached. I'd buy another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    whatever light is handy when you need, but I like the streamlight weapon mounted lights personally
    +1 I prefer also weapon mounted lights and I carry Armytek Predator for my AR.

Streamlight recently upgraded their weapon lights to higher lumens and lately I've been noticing that the now lower lumen versions like the TLR1 are going on sale to clear them out.
    "If there is trouble, I stay here to help you. For your father -- for your father."

Links