Vehicle Safe

This is a discussion on Vehicle Safe within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering how do you secure your gun in your vehicle when you go somewhere you can't carry it? I am looking into getting ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Vehicle Safe

Vehicle Safe

I was wondering how do you secure your gun in your vehicle when you go somewhere you can't carry it? I am looking into getting a small safe but not sure which ones would be good. Preferably something I could mount under the seat. I was looking at something like a bulldog car safe but I am worried it isn't really tough enough if someone were to actually break into my vehicle and try to take it. So then I was looking at a V line or Fort Knox safe. Any input would be appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

At my gun supply store there was a small safe that has a wire that you wrap around something and then secure the end inside the safe so that when you close the safe it is secure. The safe has a number that you dial in to open it.

It was 40 bucks. I put it in the trunk. It is safe for shipping/flying etc.

Cheap enough and holds the gun no problem.
    Bill

Look at the gunvault n300. I have 2 of them, one for each of my vehicles. $29 on Amazon and free shipping. It is not breakin proof, but intended to slow down a thief.
    johnbergsing likes this.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I use a "Secure It" single gun safe in each of my vehicles and also one permanently mounted in two of suit cases for air travel. I attach them by a cable provide under the drivers seat, and they cost about $25 each.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Have you thought about the glove box?
    Ksgunner likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by foxytwo View Post
    Look at the gunvault n300. I have 2 of them, one for each of my vehicles. $29 on Amazon and free shipping. It is not breakin proof, but intended to slow down a thief.
    This is a definitely a defeatable product. The good news is it takes time to defeat it. Thieves don't want to spend that much time and this is a great value to the cash.
    johnbergsing likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by foxytwo View Post
    This

I have the 200 myself and can fit a full size hg. I would like to get the 300 one day.

I have gun vault 100, but I rarely use it. I just have it in case I happen to need to go somewhere that is posted while carrying...

Fort Knox products are very high-quality, but they are a bit pricey... that is why i opted for the gun vault brand.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I made one. I'll have to take photos and post them later.
    Life is about service.

My wife has a Gunvault NV300 in her ride, and my ride has a Bulldog Car/Personal Vault, both use cable to wrap around the front seat mount. Hers is a combo, mine is a key.
    S&W M&P 9c
    Ruger LCR + P (.38)
    Kahr PM9
    Taurus M851 (.38)

Distinguished Member
    I use a simple Stack-On safe that I secure to the one of the seats using a steel cable. I hide the safe under a seat or floor mat so it isn't visible from outside the car. The cabe could certainly be cut, but the way I look at it the alarm is already going off if someone breaks in. If they are determined enough to stay through the alarm and have the tools to cut the cable, I don't have that much of a chance to stop them anyway. The safe was roughly $50 at Dicks Sporting Goods.

Distinguished Member
    I have a Stackon safe that is excellent for handgun transport through the gun free state of Illinois. Big enough for a couple of compact handguns or 1 full size. It has a key lock/combination lock entry feature. When I'm traveling outside of Wisconsin, I always take it with me.

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by OJDerrick View Post
    Have you thought about the glove box?
    First place a thief would look and easy to break into.

I use a small safe secured under my seat to the frame by a cable. Easy to pull out and place my gun in after I turn the car off and easy to retrieve.

Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    First place a thief would look and easy to break into.

I use a small safe secured under my seat to the frame by a cable. Easy to pull out and place my gun in after I turn the car off and easy to retrieve.
    A thief doesn't go breaking into cars to just "look". They break into cars that has a visible valuable object in them, kinda like a safe. ymmv

mkh
    True. And I never said they do.

But 9 out of 10 thieves that break into cars will snatch open the glove box to have a "look". It only takes a few seconds to do do. Glove boxes just give car owners a feel good but false sense of security.

One of the first rules of preventing car break-ins is to leave nothing of value visible.
    Last edited by mkh; April 1st, 2013 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Spelling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links