Thoughts on tac lights

Thoughts on tac lights

This is a discussion on Thoughts on tac lights within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have heard in the past that when carrying at night one should also have a flashlight on them. I figure what better way than ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Thoughts on tac lights

Thoughts on tac lights

I have heard in the past that when carrying at night one should also have a flashlight on them. I figure what better way than to have a tac light attached to your weapon. This way you dont need an extra holster/carry device for said flashlight. Is this a good idea i have a holster guy locally that can custom fit a holster for me. My EDC is a Glock 32 and i have a glock tac light for it but didn't seem bright enough for me so i bought a TLR 1s which i read some great reviews on plus it has the strobe feature if necessary. What are eveyones thoughts on this. Good idea or bad?

Personally I dont attach lights to my firearms. I just dont like having a lite held in front of my CM becoming a target for a BG.
    Rather have the lite in my hand off to my side above below me anywhere but directly in front of me. But thats just me. A lot here seem to really like the idea.
    AZJD1968 likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    Not really crazy about haveing a flashlight mounted on a gun unless going raccoon hunting. It makes to good of a target.
    If you must use one it is better to hold it out to your side at arms length to the side away from your body.
    I know the technique about a quick flash to find your target and a quick hop to the side, but really?
    I know they seem to be the in thing now, so sorry if I stepped on anyones toes.

Gosh! Ghost you beat me to the punch!
    Last edited by SIXTO; April 8th, 2013 at 02:07 PM.

It depends on the lumen output of the light. If you have one high enough it's going to absolutely blind the BG when you "paint" him with the light. He's going to have serious spots in his eyes and if he has a gun, well you already have the drop on him anyway.
    CornstalkCop likes this.

im with storm watch i know when i beam myself in the eyes with my light im blinded with spots by that time i will recongnize the target and shoot the enemy

I agree with Ghost and from training in the old days we were taught never to give BG a center mass shot
    Ghost1958 likes this.

Lead Moderator
    I have on one both home defense arms , however for carry the bulk is too much. I do carry a handheld light on me.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

My daughter likes to play with flashlights, so having one on my HD firearm ensures that I'll have one handy when needed.

On top of giving the BG a target to shoot at, there's also the issue that your muzzle will be sweeping everything. Not always a bad thing, but a consideration.

i just bought a $40 190 lumen light that mounts onto my glock 23/21 from walmart two days ago and i love it. its brighter than my mag light that takes 3 d size batterys. and the battery in the flashlight is tiny and the light is lightweight and is a cool little light for $40. they also have a light and laser combo for $80

Administrator
    A WML is not a flashlight and should not be confused or used as one.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Personally, I like having a small carry light because I can use it for more mundane things, and have it ready to shine undesired visitors in a parking lot or something like that. If it's small enough you will carry it all of the time, but it still needs to be bright. I went with the Streamlight Protac 2L based on features and price. I've had mine almost a year now, use it frequently, am still on the first set of batteries (still very bright), and completely satisfied.

Streamlight 88031 Protac Tactical Flashlight 2L with White LED Includes 2 CR123A Lithium Batteries and Holster, Black - Amazon.com

I just received a 500 lumen Olight M20-X Warrior for about $69. It's a very high quality rugged light. I don't want anything attached to my gun outside of the Crimson Trace grips on my M&Pc .40. I think if you point the 500 lumen Olight with strobing feature at a BG's face in a night time environment, they won't be looking in its direction giving you a definite advantage. I think the Olight could definitely deescalate a confrontation. I might even bet you could bluff your way out with just the strobe at night without a gun.

The Olight also has a dedicated strobing button unlike others where you have to cycle through to that feature on the main button.

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    If you say so

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I have on one both home defense arms , however for carry the bulk is too much. I do carry a handheld light on me.
    I agree with Rocky. 1) Having a weapon-mounted light means you can't use it for anything else. 2) Some of today's pocket sized lights are FANTASTIC in performance, and less expensive than comparabley performing gun-mounted lights. 3) The bulk you save day in and day out in a larger holster will make you more likely to carry that gun.

If I roamed the mean streets more routinely than I do, I guess I'd have to reconsider.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Explain please...

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

We have enough lights on in our house I don't need a light on my home defense/bedside pistol.

However, I think I'm going to put one on my AR cause they look super tacicool... and let be honest, isn't that why we buy most of the stuff we do???

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by SIXTO; April 8th, 2013 at 02:06 PM.
    Things gun forums have taught me:
    -Some people shoot guns other "run" them.
    -I don't dislike Glocks but often dislike Glock owners.
    -Open carry is to a handgun as bluetooth is to a cell phone!
    -Simple math can deliver posts per day... some gun forum members need to get out more!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links