Tell me about Gerber

This is a discussion on Tell me about Gerber within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What can you tell me about the quality of Gerber Gear? I see it at several stores and they seem to have quite the range ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By NONAME762

Thread: Tell me about Gerber

Tell me about Gerber

What can you tell me about the quality of Gerber Gear? I see it at several stores and they seem to have quite the range of items for a massive range of prices. There is a knife that caught my eye, but it is substantially less than the others.

What can you tell me about Gerber?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I would follow the old adage that you get what you pay for. A cheap knife is probably going to be, well, cheap. Of course, it may do everything you need it to, so it's all going to boil down to purpose and type of duty.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by MJClark View Post
    What can you tell me about Gerber?
    They make creamed baby food.
    heatherr855 and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

I have carried a Gerber 3" folder at work for about 8 years now. Actually, I am on my third one, as I tend to leave them for some one else to carry. The blades hold an edge well. I broke a pocket clip and Gerber sent a replacement free of charge. I've managed to slit my thumb several times. The knife does what I want when I want, except for returning to my pocket. But it is a low enough price so I don't cry when one runs free. I might get the Bear Grylls version next. It is day glow red.

Had two of their multi tools make in my marine days, and broke the pliers on both. I currently an ar 3.00 folder for my utility needs, have had to for 3 or so years and it is perfect.

I'm not impressed with their multi tools. I like their knives. That is the extent of my experience with them.

Administrator
    My only GERBER is an older GERBER Mark II - It's an awesome single purpose knife.

I have had great luck over the years with the US and Finish (Fiskars) made Gerber products. You have to look very carefully on the packaging for the origin. Their made in China stuff is no different than any other brand.

For multi-tool, I go with Leatherman. Benchmade is my brand for most fixed and folding blades, however.
    "I don't know what it's called... I just know the sound it makes when it takes a man's life"
    - Tropic Thunder

Gerber products are meant for utilitarian purposes but not much more than that. In the army they issued us Gerber multi tools for working on aircraft...they were banned on the flight line in two days in Iraq. The tools broke off easily, the blades bent or snapped and they eventually fell apart under daily use, all day long. My unit popped for leathermans, and all was right with the world. Gebrer makes both there multi tools and knives from pot metal. It is week and brittle compared to any solid steel. If you want just a simple pocket knife to open mail etc,,, gerber should be ok. If you want a knife that you may have to stake your life on, I wouldnt recommend Gerber. I personally like Benchmade and CRKT. My BM griptillian is 7 years old and still trucking strong. My CRKT M16 folder has a bent tip,but it has survived 2 tours in Iraq, daily carry as an LEO, field dressed several deer, opened way too many boxes, been run over by a truck, lost for two weeks after I used it as a bow hanger and forgot to pull it from the tree, dunked in a river, used to cut bait for fishing, rode in my boat console, and even used as a makeshift spear point for a survival class.... If all I got was a bent tip after that...I will gladly spend the money.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I have a gerber paraframe folder and dont like it. You get what you pay for. Im going to get another C.R.K.T. m-16 folder loved that knife.

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    I have a Gerber multitool and it has always worked well for me. It is petty old, maybe they don't make them as well now, as I recall it wasn't that cheap.
    I also have a couple Leathermans, a Wave and a Wingman plus a couple little ones with scissors for the main tool, I like them all.

I popped for a strider 6 years ago an never looked back

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I had the first folder they made back in the 60s and it skinned a lot of deer and elk plus 2 bears and cleaned a lot fish both fresh and salt water and I passed it on to my son a year ago

It seems to be hit-and-miss, with a lot of the products on the lower end.

I bought a Gator machete because it looked like it would be helpful with trimming some of the vines and bushes at the back of our yard (goes into the woods). The blade was thin and the metal soft, so it got chewed-up pretty quickly. But, it was only $20 so that wasn't a big surprise.

I have a LMF II knife that is pretty amazing - well made, durable, reasonable price ($80), etc. It has worked well and I am completely satisfied with it.

The best thing to do is really look for reviews on the specific item you're looking for. I don't know if they have multiple companies that manufacture for them, or if they just build to specific price points (with the lower-end stuff being more throw-away). Hope that helps.

i have a gerber bear grylles edition folding pocket knife, a fixed blade knife with a sheath and a machete. love em all good quality and worth the money

Links