Defensive Carry banner

Spotlights Versus BOREALIS flashlight

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  black bear 84 
#1 ·
Except for some HID’s barely portable lights like the “Beast” from Surefire (a $3,000 light working on 20 disposables batteries, outputting 2,000 lumens) and others HID’s that don’t qualify as flashlights as they are considered “searchlights” and take quite a few seconds to get them going, no other flashlight that you can get in the store can compete in lumens output with the BOREALIS 1050 lumens flashlight that is made in the 3 D format.

So the question arose as how the BOREALIS will compare with an incandescent two million candlepower spotlight.

I have a closet full of spotlights of 15 years ago, lights that plugged into the cigarette lighter of a car and at that time were state of the art at 250,000 and even 500,000 candlepower’s.

Later the portable, rechargeable 500,000 and one million spotlights come about and of late you can get a good spotlight by LSI or Q. Beam of 2 million candlepower.

How does the little 2” reflector and 35 watt bulb compare with the monstrous 5 ½ inches reflectors and 50 to 75 watts bulbs in those spotlights?

To find out, I did a round up of what I have in the house: a couple of 1 million Q Beam I had disposed off when the batteries ran out of life, but I have a brand new LSI Nite Tracker 2,000.000 million candlepower, a 1 million spotlight from Aid Auto Stores and a new PN 46224 5 million from Heartland America catalogue.
Actually this is the second one, because I returned the first as the light don’t seem to my eyes to output more than a million, the second is still delivering the same output, so maybe where they come from the candlepower’s have a different value than the American ones!

I gave all the spotlights and my light a good charge to run a fair test.
The shootout was made against a tool shed at 30 yards and my appreciation of what I saw is this: The Aid auto Store spotlight seems to be a thru and thru one million candlepower light as the output is well matched against what I have seen before from other one millions.
The BOREALIS will overpower this spotlight plenty, washing the beam of it when the BOREALIS beam is made to coincide.

The second spotlight I tried was the LSI Nite tracker, 2,000.000 million; this is a great light (but also great in size and weight) and is obviously what the BOREALIS has to compete for.
I have found that the BOREALIS beam is more useful than the LSI as the spread is wider (more floodlight), I can see much more landscape to the sides of the shed than with the beam of the LSI. As per the intensity at the shed door, here are the pictures so you can judge it yourself.

Of the Black and yellow 5 million light from Heartland, to my eyes it is barely 1 million, maybe 750,000 more likely.

Yes, the LSI two million can do almost the same as the BOREALIS, but that light is much more compact, lighter and of incomparable quality in its components, the modified switch, reflector and battery carrier are a work of art and the power source are the best high current high capacity Nimhs in existence.

The Contenders, from left to right; My red BOREALIS flashlight 1050 lumens,
the 5 million Heartland of America black and yellow spotlight, the LSI Nite Tracker 2 million, and the Aid auto stores 1 million spotlight.

And I am going to show the beamshots in the opposite sequence:

Aid auto stores 1 million candlepower

LSI Nite Tracker 2 million

Heartland of America 5 million (The text explain what I think of this light)

BOREALIS 1050 lumens rechargeable, 50 minutes run time.

cheers

Best regards,
Black bear

See less See more
#2 ·
I was just wondering this myself. Is a cheaper but more CP light worth it? Looks like the 5mill CP light Had battery problems or a mistaken 1Mill CP bulb put in at factory. Wonder if the new high output "blue light" bulbs (like the silver-star)will ever make it to the search light market. BTW anyone try the 20Mill CP light in the sportsman's guide.

#3 ·
I concure! The BOREALIS is the baddest (meaning a good thing) light I have ever had. The light is just incredable. You should ask for one for Christmas, you will not regret it.

Ti.

#4 ·
I don't know how well your photos reflect real life. I do know that the side of my garage is 126 feet from my deck. I just lit it up with my surefire M2 with the P61 bulb, 120 luman output, and yes it is dark here. I'd pick my Surefire over any of the lights in your pictures. I'm only basing this on the photos since a real life comparison can give very differant results.

#5 ·
I don't have an M2 but I do have several Surefires that are 120 lumen's and I have a Digi Light 227 lumen light (and it throws 227lumens). Let me tell ya, it ain't even close in comparison to the BOREALIS. Pictures are deceptive for sure, because my BOREALIS is the most ultimate light I have had, used or seen before. The difference in the aformentioned is night and day between them. I will try and take some pictures of mine to see if the camera's make any difference.

ETA - I tried pictures but they are no good. I can tell you that the camaera does play down by far what the lights I tried are really putting out. My 227 lumen Digilight is bright, has great throw and works well but the BOREALIS smokes it, it's not even a contest.

I will put it to you this way, take a M2 120 lumen light that you speak of in to the wood's and I will come up behind you with the BOREALIS, turn it on and you will think the sun came up!:biggrin2:

Ti.

#8 · (Edited)
kd5nrh,
$288 together with the RC FAST charger (1 1/2 hour), usually ships in two days maximum and is available in black, silver or royal blue.

My web site www.BlackBearFlashlights.com have the contact information, but here it is any way,
jcharles11784(at)yahoo(dot)com

Looking forward to your E-mail.
Best regards
Juan C.
black bear

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.