Narrowed down my choices: Flashlight help

This is a discussion on Narrowed down my choices: Flashlight help within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wouldn't say I'm in anyway a flashlight guy. So when I first jumped in I didn't know what I was talking about. Now that ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Narrowed down my choices: Flashlight help

Narrowed down my choices: Flashlight help

I wouldn't say I'm in anyway a flashlight guy. So when I first jumped in I didn't know what I was talking about.

Now that I've learned some things (to include how many knockoffs there are out there) I know what I want.

So here is what I'm looking for 3-4" under 3" would be great. Slim, I got enough things I edc so if it is .50" or less then that would be ideal. pocket clip is a must, and so is it being AA or AAA I don't need to be looking all over for some crazy battery. I don't really have a lumen preference but I do like the strobe option. The last thing is under $50 would be great, $30 even better.

So what are my options now?

2. Remove Ads

Not sure all the details on it, you'll have to use google, but a while ago I picked up a maglite xl50 from walmart for like ~$30. It's been great, full power, strobe, and 1/4 power options. Really bright, don't recall exact lumens. AAA batteries, doesn't have a belt clip though.

Quote Originally Posted by sundrix View Post
    Not sure all the details on it, you'll have to use google, but a while ago I picked up a maglite xl50 from walmart for like ~$30. It's been great, full power, strobe, and 1/4 power options. Really bright, don't recall exact lumens. AAA batteries, doesn't have a belt clip though.
    thanks I'll google it.

FourSevens makes some respectable flashlights in your price range.

The Preon P1 (1AAA, $39, 70 Lumens, 2.95 in x 0.6 in) and P2 (2AAA, $49, 160 Lumens, 5.05 in x 0.6 in)

They both have belt clips.

They both have Lo, Med, Hi, and a few different strobe options.

Foursevens.com
    Foursevens.com

My next flashlight is probably going to be the FourSevens Mini ML-X: http://www.foursevens.com/products/ML-X-AE
    I wear jeans a lot and that sized flashlight fits perfect in that little pocket.
    You can find CR123 batteries at WalMart and I'm sure plenty of other places. I personally just bought rechargeables (16340s are rechargeable CR123s) I don't need to worry about keeping batteries stocked, and when it starts losing power, I just swap out for a fully charged one.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Quote Originally Posted by 031131 View Post
    So here is what I'm looking for 3-4" under 3" would be great. Slim, I got enough things I edc so if it is .50" or less then that would be ideal. pocket clip is a must, and so is it being AA or AAA I don't need to be looking all over for some crazy battery. The last thing is under $50 would be great, $30 even better.
    With those basic specs, I have been really impressed with this one: 4Sevens Mini, or 4Sevens Quark Pro. Both have models that run on either the CR123A or AA battery. Note that the CR123A is so popular that it can be found at most any spot a AA battery can. The Mini is pretty tiny, easy to hold in the pants pocket, shirt pocket or a mini holster. The Mini is my choice when I need to grab something small and pop it into a pocket. About $45 or so.

Of all the 4Sevens lights, probably one of the most useful is: 4Sevens Quark Tactical QT2L-X. Bright, ~4.5" OAL, light, easy to use. About the only additional feature I'd prefer on it would be full waterproof capability. But otherwise it's pretty fantastic. Priced a bit higher than the Mini.

My choice for a daily-carry "defensive" light is a roll-my-own style: Malkoff M61W LED module; SolarForce L2 host body/head assembly; and a 18650 Li-Ion rechargeable battery. A bit more pricey than your stated price range (at ~$95 or so), but it's hard to beat for durability, fabulous beam brightness and quality, and the added comfort of having a flashlight in hand that has a little bit of heft to it (for defensive reasons). Yes, I suppose the 18650 cell isn't on the average street corner. But then, it needn't be, so long as you keep them charged and carry a couple extras with you (in the car, at home). This is the light I take with me when I'm out and about.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; April 24th, 2013 at 08:24 AM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I just picked up a pair of tactical flashlights at Sams club. They have the rear clicker. One click for normal, next click for super bright (I believe it was 200 lumens, but can't quite remember), and another click for strobing. If you click and hold, the light comes on for as long as you hold and goes off when you release. They're awesome and were only around $19.98--also included a tiny keychain flashlight. Item number was 598556. Build quality is amazing.

Professional Grade LED Flashlights - 3 pk. - Sam's Club
    5lima30ret likes this.
    Life is about service.

I'll toss in my vote for 4Sevens. They have the Preon line, which are very slim. If you're willing to sacrifice slimness though, I highly suggest a Quark. I have the 2x CR123 with the Cree XML and it puts out a massive amount of light for such a small thing, but has several levels of output for every need. My wife carries the single CR123 version.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

A single AAA battery flashlight is about the only thing that nearly meets your specs. They have just under an inch diameter barrel.

I have Nebo Blueline that falls in that category. Price is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Fenix LD10. 1 AA, 4" length, 3/4" diameter, 100 lumens, strobe, lower lumen modes, SOS mode, steel clip, tail switch, black.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Thanks for the input everyone I will be looking into everything that was mentioned her.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    A single AAA battery flashlight is about the only thing that nearly meets your specs. They have just under an inch diameter barrel.

I have Nebo Blueline that falls in that category. Price is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oops, I meant AA but a single AAA will work as well.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Stream light 66318 MicroStream C4. $16.88 on amazon.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Check out the Fenix LD01, 1xAAA 70 lumens on high, has low/med/hi settings and a beltclip/lanyard holes. Tiny so it is perfect for EDC as long as you aren't looking to beat someone down with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    Stream light 66318 MicroStream C4. $16.88 on amazon.
    Good suggestion. I have the 2AAA version (66118 Stylus Pro); good lights for the money.

Like the OP, I'm looking for a single AAA EDC. Looking forward to everyone's suggestions as well.

First off, check out candlepowerforums - best flashlight info on the web...

For AAA lights, try titanium innovations which are available at battery junction. Aluminum or titanium bodies, 3 brightness settings. Alternately, check out olight i3. Similar emitters and both models use a twisty mechanism to turn on and change brightness.

The best AA light on market IMHO is Zebralight sc52. It is available directly on their website.

Also check out fenix or jetbeam options. And yes, flashlights can be an addiction...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links