Gun belts and the domino effect they cause

This is a discussion on Gun belts and the domino effect they cause within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been reading a lot of threads and today I caved in and got a Galco gun belt. I thought I made the best ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Gun belts and the domino effect they cause

Gun belts and the domino effect they cause

I have been reading a lot of threads and today I caved in and got a Galco gun belt. I thought I made the best decision in the world the minute I put it on. My IWB holster and XD9sc pressed snugly against my body and no sagging in the belt like my old dress belt.

It all kinda fell apart right after my drive home from the gun store... And my Blackhawk nylon IWB holster and XD squirted out of my belt line like toothpaste and almost landed on my driveway had I not caught them.

I was like "hey what the heck". Put it back on. Moved around and tried drawing and the holster squirted out again. See, the belt is too thick for my Blackhawk's hook. It can't clamp down and retain. Well shoot I own 4 Blackhawks and I can't use any of them on my new $60 belt?

Tried my pancake holsters too. All 4 of them. No dice. The belt is so stiff that the pancakes don't settle properly at my favorite 3.30 position. Grr.

Tried one more thing. The paddle holster that came with my XDM. Carried it around all evening and yes the belt prevented sagging but it was stiff and every hook (paddle and the one on my magazine holster) dug into my side. Really uncomfortable.

So I'm starting to think I made a mistake getting a gun belt. $60 could have bought me three nice boxes of 9mm ammo.

So a question to all you DC folks. What am I doing wrong? What works with gun belts and what doesn't? I'm dreading having to plop down big bucks for new fancy leather holsters and dump all my nylon/pancake ones. Your advice is really appreciated!

2. Remove Ads

You didn't make a mistake on getting a good gun belt. You made a mistake in getting one that doesn't fit the measurements of your holsters. Return it for the correct width if possible. I hated my belt to until I broke it in.
    Rock and Glock and rockymax like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Smarshe View Post
    You didn't make a mistake on getting a good gun belt. You made a mistake in getting one that doesn't fit the measurements of your holsters. Return it for the correct width if possible. I hated my belt to until I broke it in.

+1. A good gun belt is a must for me! My guess is the belt is too wide. I think the standard for most holsters is 1.50". Your belt, I'm guessing is 1.75".
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Is it a 1.5" belt or 1.25" belt? Check your holster loop dimensions. Don't wear it anymore until you talk to Galco. They can probably help you out here.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I bought a Galco belt and the King Tuk holster, never a problem.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by rockymax View Post
    +1. A good gun belt is a must for me! My guess is the belt is too wide. I think the standard for most holsters is 1.50". Your belt, I'm guessing is 1.75".
    I agree. Measure a belt you have that works.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

ng
    A stiff gun belt is a good thing, it'll keep your gun and holster from sagging. The leather will soften up and contour to your body and holster in a week or two.

The one other thing about a new high quality gun belt is sometimes you can get a squeaky one (also only until you break it in. It sounds like you got one that doesn't squeak though.
    In the photography world, there's a saying about camera gear lust:
    It's not the arrow, it's the Indian.
    I think the same applies in the caliber debate.

I went from a 1.5 department store belt (dockers I think?) to a 1.75 gunbelt and just got new clips for my holster. I only have one so it wasn't a big investment. Try the right belt, or the right clips and then reevaluate.

So I reevaluated my belt (by the way it's a leather belt with pre punched holes, with a width of 1.5 inches) and I must've been doing something wring before but I can make my Blackhawk IWB holsters work now. They definitely fit a 1.5 wide belt:

But the pancake holsters are a different story. The belt is so stiff that it does what I'm showing in the picture here.

Anyone experienced this before and does this mean that pancake holsters and gun belts don't jive? (My pancake holsters are my most expensive ones so I'm not too happy about this situation)

The belt will have to break in & the holsters will also have to reconform with the new belt. It just takes a while for everything to work out. You may also need to adjust how/where (position, height, cant, etc) you carry with the new rig.

Sent from my GS 3 using Tapatalk 2

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    I've had zero luck with my plastic-clip nylon holster on the gun belt I bought from Exodus Gunleather. The plastic clip isn't set up for a belt that thick. The hook on the bottom doesn't grab underneath the belt. The times I carry the snubbie in that setup I use a thinner dress belt.

A quality holster will make a big difference, especially since you won't have to worry you might drop your rig when you move.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Just crank that belt tight on the pancake, it will break in. As for the nylon clip holster......
    vista461 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    I've had zero luck with my plastic-clip nylon holster on the gun belt I bought from Exodus Gunleather. The plastic clip isn't set up for a belt that thick. The hook on the bottom doesn't grab underneath the belt. The times I carry the snubbie in that setup I use a thinner dress belt.

A quality holster will make a big difference, especially since you won't have to worry you might drop your rig when you move.
    Yup that's what I'm seeing. My Nylon holster's hook barb is like > < small. Works on dress belts sucks on thick gun belts. My Blackhawks are cheap so I guess I'll be on the hunt for an IWB with a better hook soon. The box o' holsters is slowly becoming a closet o' holsters!

Quote Originally Posted by TexasCajun View Post
    The belt will have to break in & the holsters will also have to reconform with the new belt. It just takes a while for everything to work out. You may also need to adjust how/where (position, height, cant, etc) you carry with the new rig.

Sent from my GS 3 using Tapatalk 2
    Ok I'll try that. Breaking it in at least. Going to a new position is risky. I've made a conscious effort to draw only 3.30 or pocket for muscle memory sake. Don't want to mess that up. Oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    Ok I'll try that. Breaking it in at least. Going to a new position is risky. I've made a conscious effort to draw only 3.30 or pocket for muscle memory sake. Don't want to mess that up. Oh well...
    I don't think you will have to change carry position, that belt will work in, and the "wings" of the pancake holster will stretch. You just have to give it some time. Once it is broken in, you will be very glad indeed to have a good belt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links