Bought a GunVault. Not sure I like it.

This is a discussion on Bought a GunVault. Not sure I like it. within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a GunVault pistol safe a couple of months ago to keep by my bed. It's a well-made safe for the money. It's easy ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Bought a GunVault. Not sure I like it.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar

Bought a GunVault. Not sure I like it.

I bought a GunVault pistol safe a couple of months ago to keep by my bed. It's a well-made safe for the money. It's easy to use. It's attractive. I can feel the combination easily.

But there's one teensy little problem: Sometimes it won't open when I KNOW I got the combination right.

If I'm vertical, the XDS is in my pocket. When I leave the house, it's locked up. The only time I use this safe is when I actually get in bed at night. I'm terrified that if I) ever needed the pistol in a hurry, that stubborn safe will then decide that I punched in the wrong combination, even though I didn't. I've actually sat there and slowly and carefully pressed each button in the combination, and had it not open. I need/want a better solution. The only reason I use it is so that no one could sneak up and grab the gun.

Please don't suggest a biometric. Those make me nervous and I've heard some negative things. I guess I'm looking for a "non-safe" solution.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

2. Remove Ads

If you dont have young children you could you could attach a cheap holster to the side or back of your night table, or the headboard. Theres also a company that makes a mount that slides between the mattress and the bedframe. Me, I just put my holstered gun on top of the night table when I sleep.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Well you might go with a Ft Knox mechanical lock, they are solid and work well, have a question do you have kids and that is why you lock it up at night. I would think that getting the weapon fast I would not put it away at night when it may be needed. The only guns I would lock up are the ones that I am not carrying or not within reach. There is another one called shotlock thats mechanical and can be bolted to the bed and holds one pistol.

Contact them. They have very good service.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I use the biometric for over a year so far so good

Yes, I have two kids aged 14 and 10. They're very well-behaved, but kids can also be kids.....

It just bugs me to think that if someone ever kicked my door in and charged inside in the wee hours of the morning, I might be fumbling around trying to get the stupid safe to open. If that were to ever happen, I want it in my hand NOW. So I want a quick-in-the-hand solution that only I can access. Remember, the safe is only used when I'm in bed.

And I'm not convinced that a safe is even the answer.
    NONAME762 likes this.

-miklcolt45

I would
    a) try a new password
    B)completely reset the safe and start over
    C) contact gunvault
    D) all the above

I have two gun vaults and haven't had a problem. If you use multi buttons for one "digit" it can be tricky when in a hurry
    SpringerXD and OldCavTrooper like this.

Quote Originally Posted by theglockster View Post
    I
    a) try a new password
    Thanks for the suggestion, and I just did this. I think I'll like the new, simpler combo better. That should keep it secure from anyone grabbing it while I'm asleep.

-miklcolt45

I have several and have had no problems with any of them. Nanovaults are great for the car too.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

get a better safe, or dont use one. me i keep it in my holster in the nightstand. pull out the drawer unholster and good to go. got a 3 yr old but i keep em up in day time, and one hidden in the couch where i sit. she doesnt know its their and its where i always sit so if she is playing around she cant get to it.

Just me I guess but Im a firm believer safes are for guns that you arent going to need in a hurry. Great for keeping them from getting stolen. Just flat out dont trust anything between my firearm that I may need in a few seconds and me.
    FlaRon likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

At least once in my life there was a need for me to sleep with my gun on me while I slept. I had received a very disturbing phone call. I slept with my gun.

I live alone. No kids. Me personally safes are fine for guns you don't want right now. I just don't have 15-20 seconds to get my safe open when I want a gun RIGHT NOW.

I keep it close in my chair or in my bed.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

I have one of these: New Fort Knox Auto Pistol Box! - YouTube
    Opens every time. Today, tomorrow, or a year from now. No batteries to die or spend money buying.

Quote Originally Posted by bgusty View Post
    I have several and have had no problems with any of them. Nanovaults are great for the car too.
    What he said.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    A few thoughts. Do you have a dog? Early warning should give you a few extra seconds at least. Second, harden your doors/frames so it takes more than one kick. And if the new combo still has problems, contact Gunvault. I had a problem with the battery on mine and they just shipped me a new one with a prepaid shipping label to send back the original. Really good experience.
    discoboxer likes this.
    Walk softly ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links