Vehicle lock box

This is a discussion on Vehicle lock box within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I found this on ebay, thought it might work well to lock my carry gun up in my vehicles. Thought I'd bolt it to the ...

Thread: Vehicle lock box

Question Vehicle lock box

I found this on ebay, thought it might work well to lock my carry gun up in my vehicles. Thought I'd bolt it to the floor rather than use the cable though. Anyone have any experience with these or something like it?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...6706&rd=1&rd=1
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

2. Remove Ads

I purchased a Sentry safe at Sams awhile back. Think I paid $17 plus tax. It is large enough to hold two 1911's. I drilled a small hole in the side, placed an eye bolt through the hole and fastened the bolt with a nylon nut on the inside. I lined the inside with foam rubber. The eye bolt is attached to the seat brace with a 1/8" coated cable.
    I have both a pickup and SUV so there is no trunk. This works for me.

Sisco - I have one of these also. They are produced by Center-of-Mass.

I use the cable and keep the safe under the front passenger seat.

I am thinking of bolting it in the back of the SUV but haven't decided yet.

I don't like the idea of storing a loaded gun in my car, so I always unload before locking the gun up and I generally keep the ammo in my pocket (unless that is not allowed). That way even if the gun is stolen, they have to steal the ammunition separately.

If you do bolt it down, let us know how it works for you.

It looks kinda cheap.. like you could screwdriver it open. walmart-ish. Is this the case?
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Lead Moderator
    I have 1. it is cheap made. light steel and a cheap key lock. I have found I need to really push hard to get it closed with my HK USP. Recently broke the key off trying to lock it.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I have 1. it is cheap made. light steel and a cheap key lock. I have found I need to really push hard to get it closed with my HK USP. Recently broke the key off trying to lock it.
    Ditto to rocky! They are not even close to being the best safe for the car but will work in a pinch and will keep a snag and run under control but that's about it. My key also broke the first week I had it, my gun's fit fine in them but there 1911's so they are flat and fit well in them. A decent screw driver will pry it open with a little time and some effort so I don't consider this safe to be of much real world use to a well informed or good thief.

Regardless, it is a safe and better than nothing at all when leaving your piece in the car.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Lead Moderator
    Yep, I look at it as 1 more layer of hassle to get to my gun. My 1911 fit o.k. too. I sheetmetal screwed mine to the trans tunnel in my truck. then put a fishing license brochure w/ magnets on top to conceal it.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I believe these lock boxes comply with TSA regulations for transporting pistols in luggage during air travel.

I also have one and it works fine for me. I use mine for when I cross the stateline over into Kansas (still waiting to see if reciprocity happens) and I need to stow my CCW pieces. I'll also use it when driving through IL or Iowa.

It is small & easy to hide in my Jeep (behind back seat) and should meet any law requirement for a lockbox.

I will be getting 2 others (then I'll use one for ammo & mags, one for unloaded guns) in the near future, just as soon as I can get two keyed the same. Good price and one more barrier to keep a thief away should I be where I can't carry.
    Last edited by Kankujoe; November 14th, 2006 at 08:45 PM.
    KJ

Member: NRA, GOA

"The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle" - Navy Seals

I Have One...

and it is just meant to be a 'don't just leave it in the car'...slow 'em down a little...gun holder! Face it, even the car could be taken with a little time, so this just stops a 'break and rob!' Also, I have it hidden where it is a little more difficult to find.
    Out of sight, out of mind...
    I like mine...it wasn't expensive...I feel better having my gun it it if have to leave it behind. Most times I avoid any place that won't accept both my me and my weapon.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My wife and I keep one in both of our vehicles cabled underneath the seat.

We only use them when we enter a building where carrying is not an option.
    Proud member of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy:
    http://www.xanga.com/jaltered

Thanks for the replies! I intend to use the box in the same manner Jaltered does: somewhere to stash the gun when I can't carry it. My console doesn't lock and the glovebox is usually full of junk.
    I'll take a look at the Sentries at Wally World too.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

Links