Silver

This is a discussion on Silver within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Check with your local reputable jewelers and pawn shops as well. Several in my area sell silver coins as well as jewelery. Minted U.S. coins ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Silver

Check with your local reputable jewelers and pawn shops as well. Several in my area sell silver coins as well as jewelery. Minted U.S. coins (dimes, quarters, half-dollars and dollars pre-1960)were made of silver.
    msgt/ret likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Yes, Silver coins with no numismatic or coin collector value due to their condition - called JUNK SILVER.

Silver prices have fallen recently but, a while back a Silver quarter was worth $13.50 in Silver metal.

Silver prices will climb back up there again.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Here are two I've used since 2004:

The Perth Mint - Buy Australian Gold, Silver & Platinum Collector Coins

Silver, Silver Bar, Silver Bars, Silver Bullion, Gold and More - APMEX.com

If I remember my tax code, unless there coins of the realm (not Bullion) they will be tax as capital gains when sold? Seller as of January this year are required to issue reports to the IRS like stocks. Again my CPA had me go to coinage from Canada, Australian, and last US mint.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Quick question: Being able to break the silver coin into component parts makes sense. But who and/or how is the price at that time determined? Would you somehow have market value? Would it be done as a mutual agreement? Some guy says he'll take your silver in trade for 'X'. What determines the silver's value? Or the object you're trading for, for that matter? I'm just curious.

Don't have any big "prepper" things planned. My house and vehicle are paid for. I pay off my credit cards monthly and have no other bills except utilities and such. Living in Louisiana keeps Hurricane Katrina fresh in my mind so I do most of my preparations around that. I got a built-in generator using natural gas (the earth is my fuel tank!!! ), bought a big bucket of dehydrated food (can always use that if needed) and keep things like ammunition, etc. at a good level. Other than that, I am a lame prepper!
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

Silver coins that were used as currency (i.e. junk silver) are not pure silver they are a small percentage copper I belive only 80% Ag but look that one up Sterling is 92.5%AG 7.5%Cu

As far as setting the value, that would be the free market. If the SHTF, food and ammo wil probably get you more than shinny bits of metal. (just MHO)
    but yeah, mutual agreement.

Administrator
    But who and/or how is the price at that time determined? Would you somehow have market value? Would it be done as a mutual agreement? Some guy says he'll take your silver in trade for 'X'. What determines the silver's value? Or the object you're trading for, for that matter? I'm just curious.

Too many variables to answer that before the fan is poop covered.

Much would depend on what is needed and how badly an item is needed. Naturally if an item like an antibiotic is really needed then a person would be more willing to fork over more precious metal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``
    As far as setting the value, that would be the free market. If the SHTF, food and ammo wil probably get you more than shinny bits of metal.

Yes, but...Example: If a pilot wanted $3,000 to fly you and your family to some desired safer destination - that is a lot of cans of SPAM & pkgs of Ramen Noodles but, only one or possibly two small Gold coins depending on how much Gold value increases (as it surely will) - Gold is the most portable universally accepted wealth that you can easily carry on your person.
    Sister likes this.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzadik View Post
    Silver coins that were used as currency (i.e. junk silver) are not pure silver they are a small percentage copper I belive only 80% Ag but look that one up Sterling is 92.5%AG 7.5%Cu

As far as setting the value, that would be the free market. If the SHTF, food and ammo wil probably get you more than shinny bits of metal. (just MHO)
    but yeah, mutual agreement.
    You are correct unless you purchase coins like the Canadian Maple leafs!

See link: http://www.apmex.com/Product/68864/2...er_W__COA.aspx

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Nice thing about this forum is that everyone has opinions and hearing those opinions can really help you make up your mind about things.

Previous to reading this post I would have said:

My question is if it it appreciating so fast: why are they selling as much as they can as fast as they can. No one knows what will happen very long term but with things as they are I would not expect that the value will increase near term that would make the amount I can invest bring a large profit. Silver is more of an industrial metal compared to gold but a large amount used to be used in the photographic and medical film industry, that is no longer part of the market since much less film is sold now.
    As a SHTF investment would depend on the situation. In a short term situation it would have more value than in a "Zombie Apocalypse" where there was a long term breakdown. Food, ammo, water purification (buy a case of Chlorox), fuel, ect. not so sure it would have much value in comparison. They are also very heavy which makes a significant amount very difficult to transport.

As a small percentage of a balanced portfolio precious metals make sense but you can't eat em or burn em so use the space for a 100 book package of matches in a zip lock bag in your bug out bag would be better use of the space and much easier to carry and trade.

Now I might throw a few silver coins in my pack ....never know.
    QKShooter likes this.

"MOLON LABE"
    "come and take them"
    King Leonidas of Sparta

I always hit the coin shows and buy .999 silver rounds. I have silver collector coins, but I buy silver ingots also.
    It doesn't matter if it's scrap silver or ingots. It's still silver and the price of silver is the same, no matter that shape it's in

Administrator
    My question is if it it appreciating so fast: why are they selling as much as they can as fast as they can.

It's all interesting to toss around up in the ol' noggin even though much of it will need to remain somewhat hypothetical since we have no way of knowing what future events will unfold and it is impossible to predict exact future scenarios.

For instance - Immediate specific human needs may be much different during a future viral pandemic than the aftermath of an earthquake or a Yellowstone super volcanic eruption.

The reason that precious metals get sold for paper dollars TODAY - is that paper currency still has value and purchasing power.
    So a precious metals dealer right now is quite happy to sell Silver that he stockpiled back when Silver was $6.00 per OZ for $30.00 per OZ today.

In the same way that you would sell some of yours that you purchased at $30.00 per OZ today for $70.00 per OZ two years from today - as long as Paper still buys tangible goods and services...then selling precious metal for Paper profit makes logical sense.

It is when Paper becomes severely devalued and loses its perceived value as viable currency that metals will shine.

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    I partially agree, debt free is good but real estate can be yanked from you even if paid for (i.e. interstate being built through your yard). I read Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover and he said that real estate fell under a different investment. Awesome book btw.

I'm sure many have heard of George Soros, here is an article about him selling gold and investing in farm land. Not sure what to make of it?

Being Like Soros in Buying Farmland Reaps Annual Gains of 16% - Bloomberg
    Being debt free (including getting rid of your mortgage) is the only way to go.....

Go read about the worldwide depression back in 1929...... The folks had had a paid off home had a place to live....even through the toughest time. Those that got hurt were those carrying a mortgage and having debt and ended up homeless living out of the back of a pickup truck.

My personal belief is that we've already seen the worst and that things will gradually improve...... I'm an old fart and these times remind me a lot of the period of 1966 thru 1981. Then, like now we experienced a 15 year period where the stock markets went nowhere, we had high unemployment and sentiment on the street was very negative. All of this came to an end in 1982 and we entered one of the biggest bull markets (lasting 17 years) in history.

There's nothing wrong with holding a small amount of your assets, say 5% or so in precious metals, but I would strongly urge you, if you are a young person, to invest in stocks (both domestic and international). That's the only place (except maybe for real estate) where you will truly grow your money over the coming decades....
    latentcarry and Tzadik like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzadik View Post
    As far as setting the value, that would be the free market. If the SHTF, food and ammo wil probably get you more than shinny bits of metal.
    That's my point. Everything is down (let's suppose) and you have no way to determine free market value. IMO, we're thinking of this from a current standpoint. Not one where you've got a sack of silver or gold but haven't eaten in 3 days, nor has your kid. That makes a BIG difference and the free market would be determined by how hungry you are. Or how big or well-armed, but let's not think bad thoughts.

I'd expect cast lead (wink-wink) to have more value than silver or gold in a SHTF situation and your stomach is keeping you awake making growling noises!
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

If shtf what makes people think money of any sort is going to be worth anything? I Would rather keep things like some whiskey on me than some useless cheap metal coin that will mean nothing if things collapse. Every day supplies like food and water will be the new currency in such an instance.

Just my 2 cents :)

Administrator
    If shtf what makes people think money of any sort is going to be worth anything?

Because the s has hit the fan (serious bad) many times back in the days before fans were invented and for a few thousand years of human history when structured civilization has collapsed - precious metals have always maintained value and proved their worth as a desirable trade commodity.

Because during truly bad times people have historically held the belief that things will get better and when they eventually do get better Gold and Silver AKA Cash will be King.

Luckily we all are living here in America and we can share thoughts and have our own personal opinions. I cannot predict the future so I can only give a personal opinion.

Personally I do not think that we are almost "out of the woods" I do not think that we have even gone into the woods yet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Things are not good and this economy is not sound.

You may ask... IF things are SO BAD why do we not see hungry people standing in bread lines and standing in line waiting to get a bowl of soup in the soup lines...like they did during the Great Depression?

BECAUSE - NOW people are getting their bread and their soup in the form of money deposited into a bank account and the unemployed hungry people soup lines have been replaced with a swipe card that people go food shopping with...all paid for compliments of endlessly printed money made possible by Communist China buying our debt...which they no longer want to buy.
    Also coupled with the fact that we are able to endlessly print dollars because we are still the world reserve currency for international petroleum purchases which other world powers like Russia, China, etc. are beginning to buy petroleum bypassing the U.S.Dollar and we have been sternly warned by China NOT to continue to keep pumping out $$$ not backed by goods and services.
    And we are ignoring that warning because we think that we have China over a barrel because we think that they think that we are too big to fail. But, China does think like we do and it may not be long before they give us the finger.
    Sister likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I invest in copper & lead, pre-formed and attached to brass. If the SHTF, you won't be able to buy that at any price. Look to the craziness going on right now.........
    Arborigine likes this.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links