Silver

Silver

This is a discussion on Silver within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hope I got this in the correct forum, to me it would fall under what you would need (related gear & equipment) if the SHTF. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Silver

Distinguished Member

Silver

Hope I got this in the correct forum, to me it would fall under what you would need (related gear & equipment) if the SHTF.

Yesterday I spent the day looking for and finding a reputable company to do business with purchasing precious metals. I opted for silver, price point was a big factor and a good gut feeling that this would be a good long term investment. The companies on TV either had terrible reviews or they wanted a $2,500 first time buy. I'm just getting my feet wet with this so the large amount was not in my budget. This company was A+ rated with the BBB and only 3 years old.

I choose beautiful silver coins, .999 pure and these particular ones were scored to where you can chop/break them off in 1/4th pieces for bartering later if you had too. I also decided to purchase a little bit of copper, copper is not really rising in price but again, the gut feeling was there AND you could always use it to make bullets later, right?!

If anyone has any to add to this I'd love to hear it. A small time prepper here and just trying to cover all my bases. Already own the gas mask (Israel gas mask) with filters and the iodine tabs for the members of my family.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    i keep silver coins in my BOB , and i think it would be pretty tough to turn chunks of copper into bullets jacket in SHTF situation. lead is much easier to cast.

what about silver bullets? for werewolfs and already broken up into smaller pieces.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    No Silver Bullets

Last year I found this supplier of silver bullets - see link in post

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onacoma View Post
    No Silver Bullets

Last year I found this supplier of silver bullets - see link in post

TY for the link, great looking sliver! At yesterday's going prices I did pay a little less but again, I love the look. A big selling factors with these coins I got was that if I needed to just use a little bit I could break the coins in 1/4th or half since it was scored. This would be a good advantage if I did have to barter and I didn't owe the whole coin, I can now break it up into what I would need to spend.

Oh, and the copper had "Don't tread on me" snake on it and if nothing else they will be collectible (I think) one day in the future when we can look back and see this difficult time in our country and the unqualified (half) Kenya citizen we have acting as potus currently. No, he is NOT my president!!!!

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Having the ability to 1/4 oz is good. Several of the LGS will do a PM as tender!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Unless you have the equipment to melt copper or silver (both close to 2000F melting points), forget about making bullets.

I think silver and gold have a good place in the survival/prepping strategy. Although bulky, coins are probably the easiest to use for barter and exchange purposes. The denomination is known, as is the nominal weight. Milling on the edges reveals any tampering. Gold Eagles, Krugerrands and other recognized gold coins are handy for large "purchases", but I think having a couple of bags of "junk silver" coins on hand will be the most convenient to use. ("Junk silver" = US silver coins minted before 1965).

You really need to be on your guard when buying bulk metals. Even though a firm may have a good BBB rating, they can still have oppressive premiums, shipping and sales fees. Assuming you're dealing in dollar volumes over $2K or so (100 oz of silver range), I would expect to pay the spot price plus a fixed premium (not a percentage). Learn more here: junk silver coins, buy junk silver coins, sell junk silver coins | CMI Gold and Silver

I would also advise against rare metals like platinum for SHTF scenario planning - not enough people know its intrinsic value, and you don't want to have to find a scientist before you can use it for exchange.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Mulligan Mint is releasing 1/10 oz coins, in 5 oz. rolls, for about the same price as 5 one ounce coins. They are minting them later this month. I thought it was a cool idea. I don't have any silver, I don't own any silver, but I have thought about it. Right now, I am trying to focus on training and ammo.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Administrator
    Now is a great time to buy Silver. The daily spot has dropped down somewhat and you can get more Silver in trade for your paper.

I would not invest in Copper. A small amount would be OK but, you are really better off staying with Silver.

You should see if there is any place locally that you can purchase your Silver at as close to the daily spot price per OZ as possible otherwise you'll be adding the shipping and insurance cost to your price paid.

You can go to ebay.

Search 1 OZ .999 Silver - with the option of U.S. Sellers - Buy It Now - Lowest Price + Shipping.

You will still need to scroll through a ton of auctions and that will take you some time.

But, locate a U.S. Seller on Ebay (hopefully with a free shipping or low cost shipping) with a reasonably close to the daily spot - and with a 100% Positive feedback rating.

There ARE good, long time, honest sellers on ebay.

You just need to search for a while to find them. Once you find a good seller and get your first purchase then just stick with that seller for future purchases.

WATCH OUT FOR ANY SELLERS SELLING SILVER CLAD bullion bars or ounces BECAUSE they are just Silver Plated and are basically worthless unless you are planning on trading and cheating other people when the SHTF by bartering with fake Silver. Which would be a great way to get oneself hanged or otherwise killed.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    Here is the place that I always use to get the daily spot metal prices. There are (of course) others but, I just use this one. CLICK HERE

Distinguished Member
    I used a company called "Quality Silver Bullion" out of Utah. I did look on ebay, their prices were much, much higher.

Anybody got anything on the investment firm "Fidility"? That is my next move, I got a small 401 from the company I recently left I'm thinking of turning into a Roth IRA and then doing a bit of stock buying on that, probably buying in another country like India. Looks like the feds are eyeballing the 401's and I want to get it out before they get their nasty hands on it ~ any input/advice would be nice.

(TY QKShooter, I just signed up)

~ Jesus ~

Administrator
    All that I can add is that you are making a smart move into precious metals.

When Gerald Celente of Trends Research is sticking with Gold and Silver then it's a wise move because Gerald is no crackpot and the guy has an incredible 35 year history of being RIGHT about the future.

And what Gerald is seeing for the future of the U.S. Dollar and our economy...is not good at all.

Distinguished Member
    Not so sure it was but so smart putting it on my cc but it was that or not have it at all! Low interest and I will get it paid off soon. TY, I thought metals would be good too since Bernankie (sp?) is printing his heart out on the bills.

On the copper, as said, it was the novelty of the "don't tread on me" snake but I got to thinking....with copper, being it's a great conductor at a low price, doesn't that account for something? How hard could it be to melt? Not sure if it sticks to iron or not, but seems you could heat it up with fire or smash it out? I'm also looking into getting a ham radio and that got the brain working on the conductivity of copper. Just thinking out loud.....

~ Jesus ~

Being debt free is the best investment you can make for your future. Instead of buying precious metals, I put the money to paying off the house.

I feel like precious metal is only a good investment if you are debt free, and just want to balance out your investment portfolio.
    msgt/ret and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Being debt free is the best investment you can make for your future. Instead of buying precious metals, I put the money to paying off the house.

I feel like precious metal is only a good investment if you are debt free, and just want to balance out your investment portfolio.

I partially agree, debt free is good but real estate can be yanked from you even if paid for (i.e. interstate being built through your yard). I read Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover and he said that real estate fell under a different investment. Awesome book btw.

I'm sure many have heard of George Soros, here is an article about him selling gold and investing in farm land. Not sure what to make of it?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...ual-gains.html

~ Jesus ~

Administrator
    Actually it is sort of a good time to make major purchases on credit but, #1 you need to be a decently adept predictor of future events and #2 you need to be "down to Earth" realistic about it also.

AKA Purchase something now and pay it off later with a set number of dollars that continue to be worth less.

I really do not possess the Nostradamus Gene so if you are like me then continue to just pay down debt and invest in some metals, ammo, and GO Foods as extra money allows.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Being debt free is the best investment you can make for your future. Instead of buying precious metals, I put the money to paying off the house."

To some degree that is true but, it all depends on how you look at things. If (for instance) a person would have purchased say...25 Ounces of Gold back when it was $300.00 per OZ - selling it at $1,750.00 could have helped put a nice dent in that mortgage.

Right now the predictors are saying that pure Tungsten metal is the metal of very good future value increase.
    Not Tungsten Carbide but, the pure Tungsten metal that light bulb filaments are made of.

Also IF you really want to start very entry level extremely LOW $$$ investment then every time you go to the bank pick up about six rolls of NICKELS - because Nickels are already worth more than a Nickel just in metal these days. You are never going to get rich investing in Nickels but, at some point in the future you may be able to get double the face value of however many you have socked away.
    Getting a few rolls of Nickels every week is money that most folks in this country won't ever miss and it's still "saving money" that has a good chance of always increasing in value over an equal amount of paper money.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links