Survival Course Gear? - Page 2

Survival Course Gear?

This is a discussion on Survival Course Gear? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ti, nice looking knife, however you will find that it is not as servicable as you hope. If you need to do anthing that pressure ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Survival Course Gear?

Ti, nice looking knife, however you will find that it is not as servicable as you hope. If you need to do anthing that pressure is needed on the spine, shuch as cutting kindling, you will have to place a piece of wood on the back edge to do so. A cut to either hand in a survival situation is a really dangerous conditioin. I would sugest that you take along a cheap carbon steel butcher knife as well, you will use it more often and that knife will spend more time in your pack then in use. In a survival situation your knife is your most important tool you have, It will be used to make every other tool you need but don't have; Digging stick, Trigger for deadfall, trigger for snare, spear, ropes or cords, traps. It will be used to cut kindling, strip bark, cut food, skin animals from mice to deer, dig for insects in rotten logs, make fishhooks, clean fish, cut branches for leanto and bedding, It may be need to use as handhold for climbing, the list goes on and on. The chances are you will not be needing it for a weapon.

Survival is about staying alive in a severe situation. The more utilitarian your tools are the easier it is to survive.

My sugestions are given to make your experiance as comfortable and fun as possible.

Good Luck, have fun.

raeven,

I took your advice and i see you are correct about the Hibbens knife being less useful in a survival situation. So I also ended up with a SOG Tigershark S5, I will have both in the BP now. I got a real good price on it as well so I thought I would give them both a try! Thank's for the help!

Blade - 9" x .250"

Overall Length 14"

Weight 17.1 oz

Steel - AUS 6 Stainless, Rc. 56-57

Handle - Hardened Kraton

Sheath - Kydex

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I have the Tigershark I like it. I still think eventually you will see the value of a machete if you do a lot of camping. The tigershark should hold up for anything you will encounter though.

Again, have fun.

raevan,

Both the Hibben and Tigershark came in today. Both are nice indeed. One thing I want to clear up for others looking for survival type knives is the Hibben's Alaskan Survival Knife does not have a blade on the top part of the knife, the "spine". I didn't think it did, but after looking at it in the picture it seamed as if it did. So the cutting yourself from applying pressure on the top will not happen as we expected.

The knife is excellent! I was thinking of returning it if it did have a sharp edge on the top like a boot knife or something but since it doesn't I am keeping it. It's as expected and I love the handle on it.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    <<<<Lowers his head at yet another purchase of a SOG product.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    <<<<Lowers his head at yet another purchase of a SOG product.
    Fed, What's that mean?

ETA - Never mind fed, I found it! http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=16506 If i'd known that in advance I would have never bought an SOG ever. This will be my first and last SOG after reading that. In fact, I am looking at how to return this product. I'd rather have something else then with that being the case.

Ti.
    Last edited by Ti Carry; November 21st, 2006 at 10:06 PM.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Ti I hate being the one to stand on a box, but when they wont even appologize to people when asked directly it tells me they just have an elitist attitude. Heck they got their start on the backs of warriors carrying their products. What dont they think the Coast Guard are warriors? They may be called the shallow water navy (as a joke) but they are warriors. If you doubt it watch the movie the Guardian and see if you'd jump into them swells. Sorry to spoil your purchase and I really hesitated about saying anything, in fact it took me a couple days to do so. They do make very high quality products, BUT!!!

Take care.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Lets add a point of perception here. When I graduated from highschool in 1965, no one would hire me because they were afraid I woud get drafted and they would lose money. When I got out of the service people didn't want to hire me because I was one of those dirty baby killers. If I was to boycot all the companies that mistreated Vietnam era veterans and refused to give them their jobs back I probably could save a lot of money.

SOG is not the only company that treats vets that way and it won't be the last, it just happens to be one that got caught and it was publicized.

I don't make it a habit to give them my buisness, however they do make knives from time to time that I like, If I can find one cheaper then their price I will buy it, not necessarily from them.

Administrator

Much Better Choice

The Tigershark is a MUCH better choice.
    If you don't want to buy SOG then at least look for a knife patterned more like that one.
    Do not buy a knife with too much dreck, bells, whistles and deep finger grooves for a handle.
    Try to find one patterned with a handle close to that and that size is great.
    Think smoother handle if you are going to need a multi-task knife.

The first thing I would do with the Alaska Hunter is totally get rid of that bottom extended finger loop and smooth out and round off those finger grooves a good bit.
    If you are doing serious diverse work with one knife then that crap gets in the way.
    It's tough on the fingers and it only allows for one grip on the knife and that finger loop will not allow you to move up on the blade for more delicate and precise knife work.

If you don't do it before you go...you'll do it after you get back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links