Survival Course Gear?

This is a discussion on Survival Course Gear? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ETA - I ment to put this in Related Gear sorry! Please move if you feel it should be there instead. Need some suggestions please. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Survival Course Gear?

Survival Course Gear?

ETA - I ment to put this in Related Gear sorry! Please move if you feel it should be there instead.

Need some suggestions please.

I am taking a two day survival course in December and I'm in need of a few items or upgrade some things at least.

The three crucial items (among other things) I need are,

A quality survival back pack. (I assume large with all the gear needed for this)

A quality fixed blade survival knife. (5" maybe?)

A nice warm sleeping bag.

ETA - I also need a link to some good BDU's.

Also, if anyone has taken a course like this I would like to hear from you and what your experiance was and what you would recommend for these items.

What say you?

Ti.
    Last edited by Ti Carry; November 14th, 2006 at 11:45 PM.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Cheaper Than Dirt has decent prices on bdu's. For personal use I'd go with tan, unless cammo is needed. Tan is seriously a good color for survival. A good quality knife is the Camilus BK&T Combat Utility has served me well through two war zones. Small enough to carry yet big enough to to heavy cutting. For survival gear, you really dont need alot to "survive" but personally I prefer one with a built in water blader, such as a larger version of the Camelback or if your going to spend the money, get a Blackhawk three day pack. As far as sleeping, unless your going to be in extreme situations, a good survival blanket, poncho liner and flanel bag combined along with a pancho is all you'll need to "survive". If your carrying a large pack it sounds more like a camping trip. My survival course only allowed a canteen and a fannypack. Have fun and good luck.

Stephen
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Administrator
    I would absolutely go with a larger fixed knife than one with a 5" blade ~ 11 or 12" is a great blade length.
    Then add a secondary rugged folder for your smaller blade needs.

While it is easily possible (though sometimes a bit awkward) to do smaller knife functions with a larger blade it is impossible or extremely difficult to perform large blade tasks with a knife that is too small.

The average size "hunting knife" is too small for 'Man Against Nature" Survival type applications.

The knife I am using now is the Gryphon Combat/Utility. Made in Seki Japan.
    Nice AUS8A Hardness tested (high Carbon Stainless) Blade and just enough knife.
    Not too heavy - Nothing to break or fall apart (handle wise) - comfortable shock absorbing Kraton handle - no oversize guard to get in the way of some finer knife chores/tasks. A very hard working knife.
    The supplied sheath is workable, waterproof & durable (slightly above typical average quality) but, I made my own.
    I really like this knife a lot. It's a very good SHTF knife.
    Search Ebay for Gryphon Knife.

Administrator
    Also...check & see if 5 11 Tactical is still running a sale on their digital camo pants...they are a great value at the sale price. The digital camo print were the only ones they had on sale recently. The overall coloration I would call a broken up tan.

Just a heads up. Blackhawk is having a sale on their HydraForce 5, 3-day patrol pack. It is 2240 cubic inches and comes with a 100oz bladder. I personally used one of these packs (without the bladder) and found it awsome. It can have two accessory side pouches attached to the side and had bottom straps to tighten up a bed rool. The website shows them for $74.98 and the accessories link at the bottom leads you to the additional pouches.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product_det...uct_id=1951&d=

Good luck and have fun.
    Steve

Thank's fed and QK I appreciate it every much! This class is considered a "survival" class but with extra good's with you more based on a BOB deal I think. That BH back pack look's to a great deal, thank's for the head's up.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

It is a well made pack. I have carried it stuffed with gear that carried me for 7 to 10 days on patrol. The only issue with mine was it didnt have a bladder pocket, but this one does. The accessory pouches and the stuff sack were a blessing and it rode very well. I'll hush now and go back to my corner, LOL.
    Steve

Survival Gear and such

May I suggest a trip to another web site, Equipped to Survive
    Click Here Link Added By QKShooter
    Doug Ritter has already done the research and field work with nearly everything you might think of for survival purposes.
    He has a very good section on selecting a survival knife and links to all manner of equipment providers. ust a thought, but it is a top-notch group of folks.
    The fox knows many tricks; the hedgehog one good one. -Aesop

VIP Member
    I really like my Ka-Bar Camp knife. I've chopped wood with it and have been rather mean to it, and it holds up well.

For a sleeping bag, down packs smaller and lighter than synthetic material. I have a very nice REI brand 3-season bag that packs nice and small into a compression bag. The downside is that down costs more. The plus side to a mummy-shaped bag is that it keeps in heat a lot better than a rectangle-shaped bag or blanket. It boils down to how much you want to spend and what your needs are.

For a backpack, comfort is very important to me because of my size and back issues. So I selected a bag that had good, padded straps and would distribute the weight well around my body. There's checklists and gear reviews on backpacker.com that'll help you find the kind that will suit your needs. Even if doing a survival thing, it's close to a hiking thing - if your gear is burdensome and painful, you won't get far!

All my camping gear (good enough for 3 days, including 2 liters water) weighs under 20 pounds. (Definitely keep weight and your capabilites in mind. ) My backpack also doubles as my bugout bag. Add water and I'm ready to go.

If you want to poke around at the masters of traveling light, look up ultralight hiking. You'll find a lot of ways to compress gear into light loads.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Lead Moderator
    Yep , lighter is definitely better. I use a Akbar combat knife , load light and hike for a weekend. Winter camping calls for more gear of course. A poncho works well for doubling as a small shelter too. Search teh net for Alpha tent for a easy to assemble, light hike shelter. I found it works well.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

As to your Knife, befor buying ask yourself a Question> How much do I want to spend for a knife I am going to use, abuse and possibly lose. If the course is a good one they will requre you to use your knife a lot. You may have to use it to dig a fire trench for your bedroll, cut limbs for a leanto, shave kindling, etc. You will probably have to sharpen it at least once. If you don't have a diamond sharpner, you don't want a super hard knife. In a survival situation you may need to use a rock to sharpen with.

I would recomend a Knife with a blade at least 7" long; such as a Kabar, Camillus, Ontario (Marine combat knife), they can be bought for uner $60. A short machete between 10-20 inches can be bought for less then $20. I have found that if you take a 18" machete, cut off 2 to 4 inches and redo the point and regrind the blade to a narrower angle, you have a perfect camp/survival knife. They are easily sharpened with a file, stone, or rock. If you lose it (other people always want to borrow it) it is no big loss.

Quote Originally Posted by pworks36 View Post
    May I suggest a trip to another web site, Equipped to Survive
    Click Here Link Added By QKShooter
    Doug Ritter has already done the research and field work with nearly everything you might think of for survival purposes.
    He has a very good section on selecting a survival knife and links to all manner of equipment providers. ust a thought, but it is a top-notch group of folks.
    Small error with the link. Removing the ')' should fix it

I got the link, just cleaned it up a little and worked just fine. That is a great site by the way, lot of info going on there. Thank's for the link.........

raevan, I also asked myself those same questions and although this will not be my last knife purchase (as I am sure will spark another obsession) I wanted something in the middle until I really get out there and know what I am wanting or needing better.

As for a knife I went with a Gil Hibbens Alaskan Survival Knife. I really like the design of the knife and the handle sold me as well. It's not as big as I was wanting but will be fine until I can figure out what the best option will be for a larger knife and to really what expence I want to take it to in getting one.

Spec's,

Alaskan Survival Knife UC1168

Overall Length: 12-1/4"
    Blade Length: 6-7/8"
    Blade Thickness: 3/16"
    Blade Material: 420 J2 stainless steel.
    Handle Material: Black Spanish micarta,stainless steel guard and pins, full tang construction.
    Sheath: Genuine leather.

Thank's for the help, links and insites so far! I am looking hard at the Blackhawk back pack as well.

Ti.

Administrator
    Knight...Weird. I just did a Copy & Paste of that link & didn't add anything to it??
    I sure don't know how that ")" got into the link address.
    One of life's mysteries I guess but, you were correct & I removed it.
    Good looking out!

VIP Member
    Good looking knife!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links