Bit off topic - security cameras

This is a discussion on Bit off topic - security cameras within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My apologies, this is a bit off topic for this forum, but there are a lot of people with a ton of experience not just ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By Sister
  • 1 Post By paaiyan

Thread: Bit off topic - security cameras

Bit off topic - security cameras

My apologies, this is a bit off topic for this forum, but there are a lot of people with a ton of experience not just in firearms but security in general and I am hoping someone on here will share.

I am looking for a quality outdoor security camera with specific features. I looked at the Logitech Alert 750e, but it uses that connectivity via the power in the house, rather than wireless which is what I want.

Must be:
    Wireless
    Night vision
    Support Alerts
    plug into a standard power outlet - I have outlets on my roof.
    Support 2 way communication
    Allow remote monitoring, Computer, smart phone etc.

Pan/Tilt would be a bonus, but not required.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by baruffic View Post
    My apologies, this is a bit off topic for this forum, but there are a lot of people with a ton of experience not just in firearms but security in general and I am hoping someone on here will share.

I am looking for a quality outdoor security camera with specific features. I looked at the Logitech Alert 750e, but it uses that connectivity via the power in the house, rather than wireless which is what I want.

Must be:
    Wireless
    Night vision
    Support Alerts

Allow remote monitoring, Computer, smart phone
    etc.

With some good southern engineering, you could duct tape your ipod to a German Sheppard and accomplish the highlighted in bold above. It would give you sugar and kisses too, better than a tilt bonus!

ruff, ruff
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    With some good southern engineering, you could duct tape your ipod to a German Sheppard and accomplish the highlighted in bold above. It would give you sugar and kisses too, better than a tilt bonus!

ruff, ruff
    Sister you're just too cute!!

..........................ruff ruff
    Last edited by NONAME762; May 16th, 2013 at 07:07 AM. Reason: She made me do it.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

VIP Member
    I just finished a cam upgrade. I had 4 fixed cams, but now have 6 fixed and 2 PTZ, and much larger HD storage. The big bonus is I am able to view all cams live and control the PTZ's with my iPhone or iPad from anywhere.

Mine are all hard-wired, I have only a little experience in wireless cams.

Mine have night vision, I believe most ext cams do. The IR can eventually burn out. It also has a relatively short illumination range.

I can receive email alerts, but with 8 cams that can get burdensome quick.

Being able to store motion-activated images on a HD is necessity. Disruption of image pixels triggers the image to archived HD storage.

Its pretty easy to add a microphone to a cam for listening, I dont recall seeing any cams that offered back and forth communication. I'll bet they exist though? However, being able to talk back can be done with a stand-alone microphone, small amp, and external speaker. May be tough to do wirelessly?

PTZ cams are great, they can be pricey ($500+). They even offer some models that will track movement.

Good luck.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

You don't want wireless cameras. You might think you do, but you don't.
    DontTreadOnI likes this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    You don't want wireless cameras. You might think you do, but you don't.
    Not helpful without information, pro or con.

Quote Originally Posted by sigs View Post
    Not helpful without information, pro or con.
    Wireless cameras need a power line at least, unless they're going to be battery-powered, which defeats the wireless. Wired signals are far stronger and more reliable. Just look at wireless internet. The best current standard for wireless internet is 802.11N, which gives you AT BEST 600Mbps. The best in-home wired standard gives you 10,000Mbps. Wired cameras are less susceptible to interference from:

Fluorescent lights
    Power sources
    Walkie-talkies
    Cell phones
    Baby monitors
    Wireless internet connections
    Solar flares
    Physical obstructions to the signal

Wired cameras will allow better resolution with less interference. Are they a bit more of a hassle to set up? Yes. Believe me, I've done more than a few. But trust me, you want wired cameras.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Wireless cameras need a power line at least, unless they're going to be battery-powered, which defeats the wireless. Wired signals are far stronger and more reliable. Just look at wireless internet. The best current standard for wireless internet is 802.11N, which gives you AT BEST 600Mbps. The best in-home wired standard gives you 10,000Mbps. Wired cameras are less susceptible to interference from:

Fluorescent lights
    Power sources
    Walkie-talkies
    Cell phones
    Baby monitors
    Solar flares

Wired cameras will allow better resolution with less interference. Are they a bit more of a hassle to set up? Yes. Believe me, I've done more than a few. But trust me, you want wired cameras.
    Heard that. I manage IT in a manufacturing shop and they are all the time wanting a stationary, permanent machine to be setup on the wireless. Since I'm the one that has to support it...I run a shielded hardline and call it a day.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Fluorescent lights
    Power sources
    Walkie-talkies
    Cell phones
    Baby monitors
    Solar flares

I understand what your saying completely, but as it turns out I actually have power outlets under the eves of my house less than 4ft from where the cameras (I will add a second if this one works out) are going. Also I have an access point is less then 10 ft away. However, running CAT5 from the camera to where it would need to go would cause a much larger problem than all the ones you listed. It would make my wife very unhappy, which is far more risky

I did end up getting a specific recommendation on a camera that I decided to try out.

Amazon.com: Sharx Security SCNC3605N Wireless b/g/n Weatherproof Outdoor MPEG4 IP Network Camera with Infrared Night Vision and built in DVR: Camera & Photo

If it works out I will pick up a couple more.

Thanks for the info.

Are you going to rely on the built-in recording capability or also use a centralized DVR? If you rely on the camera just remember that if the camera gets stolen, so does your evidence.
    My blog

Quote Originally Posted by baruffic View Post

Must be:
    Wireless
    Night vision
    Support Alerts
    Allow remote monitoring, Computer, smart phone etc.

Hi
    most of the today's IP cameras support those features, except for the power outlet, they are usually POE which means power over Ethernet.
    some of the manufacturers which I know and used before are:
    Axis Communications - Leader in network cameras and other IP networking solutions
    Broadcast, Professional & Business Solutions : United Kingdom : Sony Professional
    Home | Avigilon - The Best Evidence
    RedLeaf Security - Home Page
    VIVOTEK

you can find more online :D

I currently have a Cox security system. I plan on adding a few hard wire cameras in the near future for the reason that my wireless cameras frequently lose their signal. I can't tell you how many times a week I go to view the live feed on my camera and one or both don't have a strong enough signal. It is extremely frustrating when you want to get a birds-eye-view of what caused that noise near the back door.

I would go with whatever works for you, but as stated before, wired will give you a stronger and more reliable feed.

Best of luck!

Pelco ;) you really want wired though, it's a waste to use wireless

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Images

Links