GunVault for car

This is a discussion on GunVault for car within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently purchased an inexpensive lock box for inside my car. It's a GunVault that is secured by a steel cable wrapped around the frame ...

Thread: GunVault for car

GunVault for car

I recently purchased an inexpensive lock box for inside my car. It's a GunVault that is secured by a steel cable wrapped around the frame of my car seat. It is perfect for securing my sidearm for those times I'm out and about, but can't carry in a certain location. In the past I just wouldn't carry because I knew I'd be stopping somewhere that would require me to remove my gun, but I didn't feel safe leaving it in the glove box. A simple smash and grab and there goes several hundred dollars (and even worse some BG has a loaded weapon now). I highly recommend this or a similar product for in the vehicle. While the box won't withstand constant abuse, it will prevent a simple thief from making off with my gun.

Now that I've promoted the product, here is my question: Would it be okay to leave a loaded weapon in a vehicle for an extended period of time in the summer time? Soon we'll be having constant 90 degree or more days, meaning the inside temperature of my car can easily exceed 120 degrees. I'd like to carry on my way to/from work, especially if I'll be making stops on my way home. However, I'm not allowed to carry where I work, and I can't store it in my locker. I'm not sure how I feel about leaving my gun in these temperatures for 9 or more hours.
    Romans 12:21

2. Remove Ads

I struggled with this as well. I don't have a good answer.

I know a contractor who has a polymer framed firearm that was weakened (developed a crack) most likely because of heat and cold in a vehicle. Over many years. Heat of summer followed by AC. Then cold winter followed by heater. The firearm was a glove compartment queen. One day he took it out to practice and it pinched between his thumb and finger. Nothing bad, just a small crack. He then also noticed a few other potential cracks / fractures (very very small).

He sent (maybe just contacted) maker, I can't remember make, they told him not warrenty (what he thought they would say). He sold it to someone who's plan was to fill and filling down to repair.

His solution, he bought a new gun (same model) and stores it in the glove compartment and checks it for cracks when seasons change. No problems yet. He stated he understands sooner or later going to most likely happen again depending on conditions. He is not sure if it was just a fluke with that firearm, maybe just conditions on a certain few days, or just something that happens over time.

I think you have reason to be aware of the potential damage a car gun might receive vs temps.

PS - I did have a screw on the handle of a car gun (revolver) develop a few rust spots. Rest of firearm is fine. I'm guessing car conditions and maybe left over sweat over time.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

I don't think it will bother the firearm at all. Look at AZ temps, some people leave their gun in the car while they work with no problem.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Foam traps moisture and can form rust. Just routinely clean and inspect.

Remember our military in the desert in temps averaging about 130+. I would say your firearm will be fine. I would keep one of those silica packets in there to absorb any moisture and then once a quarter or even just twice a year like setting the clock for daylight savings time, etc. I would change out the ammo in the gun. God Bless

I would be interested to hear what poly framed gun that cracked. I have a few poly framed ones. My HK USP has a poly frame. I used it several times in in the snow and ice @ 30 to 40 degrees below zero. then in my work truck in the summer at what 140 degrees with the windows up? With no problems.

TRX
    We (actually, Mrs. TRX) just bought a gun safe for each of our four vehicles, all keyed the same. They're not going to keep a thief with tools from stealing the gun, but without bolt cutters, they'll be slowed down...

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    I struggled with this as well. I don't have a good answer.

I know a contractor who has a polymer framed firearm that was weakened (developed a crack) most likely because of heat and cold in a vehicle. Over many years. Heat of summer followed by AC. Then cold winter followed by heater. The firearm was a glove compartment queen. One day he took it out to practice and it pinched between his thumb and finger. Nothing bad, just a small crack. He then also noticed a few other potential cracks / fractures (very very small).

He sent (maybe just contacted) maker, I can't remember make, they told him not warrenty (what he thought they would say). He sold it to someone who's plan was to fill and filling down to repair.

His solution, he bought a new gun (same model) and stores it in the glove compartment and checks it for cracks when seasons change. No problems yet. He stated he understands sooner or later going to most likely happen again depending on conditions. He is not sure if it was just a fluke with that firearm, maybe just conditions on a certain few days, or just something that happens over time.

I think you have reason to be aware of the potential damage a car gun might receive vs temps.

PS - I did have a screw on the handle of a car gun (revolver) develop a few rust spots. Rest of firearm is fine. I'm guessing car conditions and maybe left over sweat over time.

That's why friends don't let friends buy a hi-point.

I keep different guns in the same thing daily. I havent had to leave them overnight, but for 5 workdays a week they stay there. Havent had any issues in 2 years of doing that.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I had purchased a GunVault 300 for the car, but as it turned out the Glock was just a bit too thick to fit in there, so the vault went back to the store. Still on the lookout for its replacement.
    Every day without a negligent discharge is a good day.

Senior Member Array NickBurkhardt's Avatar
    We just purchased a Shotlock 1911 ShotLock Small Universal Solo Vault Safe and it works great. Fits under the front seat secured by a cable and holds my full size Beretta PX4 Storm and my wife's Bersa Thunder 380.

Links