Wilson combat 1911 help

This is a discussion on Wilson combat 1911 help within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's my story. I own a magnum research desert eagle 1911 commander model. I just purchased a single Wilson combat etm mag because I have ...

Thread: Wilson combat 1911 help

Wilson combat 1911 help

Here's my story. I own a magnum research desert eagle 1911 commander model. I just purchased a single Wilson combat etm mag because I have heard great things about them. Here are my concerns.

1. While inserting a full mag (8 rounds) it requires significant more force to seat it in the mag well. I won't say it's overly difficult, but compared to the factory mags that came with it, it probably requires twice as much force.

2. After inserting and releasing the Wilson combat mag a few time I noticed a slight flattening on the extractor ridge of the hornady round in the mag. The top round was also pushed forward slightly in the mag. I could not reproduce this in the factory mags.

3. Lastly the plastic thing in the mags act differently. The Wilson mag seizes up unless press directly in the center of the plastic. Where as the factory mag moves up and down smoothly no matter where it is depressed. The problem with this is it slightly slows down loading the mag.

I feel these are valid concerns if I'm paying premium price for a magazine. I like the steel it is made of, but it seems like it should be better than a factory mag right?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    #1. The stiff spring is due to it being new. It should ease up a bit, but not too much. A strong spring feeds better anyway.

#2. If you're inserting the mag on a closed slide, then the case rim is being rammed up against the cocking lug. If you do this repeatedly, the softer brass will deform before the steel slide will (that's a good thing-ammo is cheaper than a slide). I'f I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, a pic may help

#3. The plastic follower will perform just fine with rounds in it. They distribute pressure evenly, so binding is not a concern. In fact, I've upgraded all my old Novak mags with Wilson springs & followers.

Wilson mags are considered by most to be some of the best you can get. Most feeding issues can be resolved by switching to them. I use them almost exclusively.

Administrator
    1. While inserting a full mag (8 rounds) it requires significant more force to seat it in the mag well. I won't say it's overly difficult, but compared to the factory mags that came with it, it probably requires twice as much force.

The WILSON mags have +power magazine springs in order for the rounds in the magazine to move up quicker during the feed cycle and with a more positive action to help insure reliable feeding...so that would be pretty normal.

3. Lastly the plastic thing in the mags act differently. The Wilson mag seizes up unless press directly in the center of the plastic. Where as the factory mag moves up and down smoothly no matter where it is depressed. The problem with this is it slightly slows down loading the mag.

That plastic thing is called the follower.
    HELPFUL HINT:
    When you are loading your magazines - If you are Right handed - hold your magazine in your left hand in such a way that you can press down on the rear of the top cartridge in your magazine with your Left thumb at the same time as you are inserting the next cartridge into the magazine with your Right hand.

You will then discover that loading cartridges into your magazines is much easier and quicker especially as your magazine begins to get fully loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    #1. The stiff spring is due to it being new. It should ease up a bit, but not too much. A strong spring feeds better anyway.

I hope this is the case!

#2. If you're inserting the mag on a closed slide, then the case rim is being rammed up against the cocking lug. If you do this repeatedly, the softer brass will deform before the steel slide will (that's a good thing-ammo is cheaper than a slide). I'f I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, a pic may help

That is exactly what is happening, it's just odd that I can't replicate it with the factory mags.

#3. The plastic follower will perform just fine with rounds in it. They distribute pressure evenly, so binding is not a concern.

The concern came from the binding while loading. It was minimal, but enough to make me wonder why. I'm sure operation will be fine. Just something they may need to be broken in.
    See above

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mxcmead View Post
    That is exactly what is happening, it's just odd that I can't replicate it with the factory mags.
    Probably has a lot to do with them apparently having lighter springs than the Wilson.

Links